Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DC: Games you still play?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 3:02:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

I've had my Dreamcast and no other system for several years now
(actually I did have other systems but I sold them). After playing over your
games for countless hours, what games do you still like to play?
Out of 150 games, I still find these to be my favorites for
multi-player:3) Frogger 2
2) Bomberman Online
1) Rush 2049

Come to think of it, I don't play much anymore unless its multiplayer.
Runner ups are Tennis 2k2 and NHL 2k2.
CptN

More about : games play

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 6:39:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

I've not been able to find bomberman anywhere, either in a shop or download

Itching to play it tho!

"Cpt Nutrino" <catscam@math.com> wrote in message
news:Tc7cd.8635$cr4.695@edtnps84...
> I've had my Dreamcast and no other system for several years now
> (actually I did have other systems but I sold them). After playing over
your
> games for countless hours, what games do you still like to play?
> Out of 150 games, I still find these to be my favorites for
> multi-player:3) Frogger 2
> 2) Bomberman Online
> 1) Rush 2049
>
> Come to think of it, I don't play much anymore unless its multiplayer.
> Runner ups are Tennis 2k2 and NHL 2k2.
> CptN
>
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 7:30:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

I still constantly play:

Soul Calibur
Chu Chu Rocket
Dead or Alive 2
House of the Dead 2 (w/Light Gun)
Sega Smash Pack (Various Games)
Tetris Online (Actually, this is the only game my girlfriend will play with
me)

I have Bomberman Online too. I like it a lot, but never could get past the
third stage. Also have Rush 2049. The actual racing is freakin' hard, but
I love the stunt arena. Guess I'm just not that coordinated. :-P

-Keith!



"Cpt Nutrino" <catscam@math.com> wrote in message
news:Tc7cd.8635$cr4.695@edtnps84...
> I've had my Dreamcast and no other system for several years now
> (actually I did have other systems but I sold them). After playing over
> your
> games for countless hours, what games do you still like to play?
> Out of 150 games, I still find these to be my favorites for
> multi-player:3) Frogger 2
> 2) Bomberman Online
> 1) Rush 2049
>
> Come to think of it, I don't play much anymore unless its multiplayer.
> Runner ups are Tennis 2k2 and NHL 2k2.
> CptN
>
Related resources
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 2:03:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

In message <38mdnc-a6N1c6-zcRVn-3w@provide.net>
"Keith E. Meyers" <crisisdog@provide.net> wrote:
>I still constantly play:
>
>Soul Calibur
>Chu Chu Rocket
>Dead or Alive 2
>House of the Dead 2 (w/Light Gun)

Chu Chu Rocket... doesn't that get boring once you've finished all the
puzzles?
>Sega Smash Pack (Various Games)

Oh yes, I forgot about the Smash pack!! I love to play Steets of Rage 2
when I am bored =) And Shining Force is the best way to kill a few
hundred hours.
>Tetris Online (Actually, this is the only game my girlfriend will play with
>me)
>
>I have Bomberman Online too. I like it a lot, but never could get past the
>third stage. Also have Rush 2049. The actual racing is freakin' hard, but
>I love the stunt arena. Guess I'm just not that coordinated. :-P

Actually, I only play Rush 2049 for the battle game. It's IMO the best
battle game ever created, even better than Halo =)


>"Cpt Nutrino" <catscam@math.com> wrote in message
>news:Tc7cd.8635$cr4.695@edtnps84...
>> I've had my Dreamcast and no other system for several years now
>> (actually I did have other systems but I sold them). After playing over
>> your
>> games for countless hours, what games do you still like to play?
>> Out of 150 games, I still find these to be my favorites for
>> multi-player:3) Frogger 2
>> 2) Bomberman Online
>> 1) Rush 2049
>>
>> Come to think of it, I don't play much anymore unless its multiplayer.
>> Runner ups are Tennis 2k2 and NHL 2k2.
>> CptN
>>
>
>
>.
>
October 17, 2004 11:39:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Le Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:03:04 +0000, Cpt Nutrino a écrit :

> Oh yes, I forgot about the Smash pack!! I love to play Steets of Rage 2
> when I am bored =) And Shining Force is the best way to kill a few
> hundred hours.
>>Tetris Online (Actually, this is the only game my girlfriend will play with
>>me)
i already have shining force on gba ;o)
and i just get a used dreamcast since 2 weeks
bought house of the dead 2 with desert eagle, and enjoy it a few hour

i m interested in your answers, because i wonder which games are "must
have"

ps : i bought a dc because it seems to be a very good hardware, arcade
like, and can do a lot of thing with like emulation (snes genesis mame) or
linux

pps : excuse my english, i m french
October 18, 2004 6:20:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Daytona USA & Soul Calibur.
Still have Shenmue 2 to finish too, but don't have time :-(

Cpt Nutrino a écrit :

> I've had my Dreamcast and no other system for several years now
> (actually I did have other systems but I sold them). After playing over your
> games for countless hours, what games do you still like to play?
> Out of 150 games, I still find these to be my favorites for
> multi-player:3) Frogger 2
> 2) Bomberman Online
> 1) Rush 2049
>
> Come to think of it, I don't play much anymore unless its multiplayer.
> Runner ups are Tennis 2k2 and NHL 2k2.
> CptN
>
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 10:21:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Cpt Nutrino wrote:
> I've had my Dreamcast and no other system for several years now
> (actually I did have other systems but I sold them). After playing over your
> games for countless hours, what games do you still like to play?
> Out of 150 games, I still find these to be my favorites for
> multi-player:3) Frogger 2
> 2) Bomberman Online
> 1) Rush 2049
>
> Come to think of it, I don't play much anymore unless its multiplayer.
> Runner ups are Tennis 2k2 and NHL 2k2.
> CptN
>

I have an Xbox and PS2, and seem more occupied with the Xbox lately than
anything else. However, I still play my Dreamcast, and consider most of
the games I own (on any system really) worth playing again. Lesse, for
the Dreamcast, I still actually play:

Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2: These two are going to stay at the
top of my list, probably forever.

Worms World Party, Bomberman Online: Excellent multi-player, fun for
non-gamers too!

Bubble Bobble: Through the SMS emulator, still a great game.

San Fran Rush 2049: The death matches in this game are rivaled by few
games. I still can't believe the reviews bitching about the framerate
when so many games on newer consoles have the same dips!

Daytona Online: Bel just taught me how to play it the way it was
intended, drifting is awesome! I don't even have enough time to, but I
actually enjoy racing one track on this version, then going back to the
Saturn versions and racing it on them, trying to get the best times on
each version. I wish I'd have known this back in the day when I played
games for most of the day. ;) 

Dreamcast games I fully intend to play through again are:

Skies of Arcadia: Only played through it once, man what an amazing
experience, the design of these worlds is second_to_none.

Shenmue 2: I need to play through this without the subtitles on, to
finally break through that language barrier after ten years of flirting
with the Japanese language. ;) 

F355: I never actually got good enough at this game to even get all of
the tracks, but it's so danged smooth and the controls and AI rock!

Test Drive: LeMans: The game that maxed out the Dreamcast, I need to
unlock all those cars and do a real 24hr race.

MSR: Same with this one, awesome game that I never more than played for
a few hours, even though I actually love everything about it.

Draconus Cult of the Wyrm: Just because it's awesome and I'll never get
sick of the awesome fighting engine, story or levels.

Berserk: Gut's Rage: Same as above, and to kick Zoddo's butt on the
hardest setting again. Toughest boss outside of an el-cheapo cine-kill
surprise boss.

Ecco the Dolphin DOF: Never actually finished it, and haven't been able
to get back into it. This is a game you just can't put down for a few
months, because the levels lead you up to the difficulty very well.

Air Force Delta: I need to practice my barrel roll, and I enjoyed this
game quite a bit the first couple of times through.

Bangai-O: Excellent game that I haven't finished, much less mastered
the gameplay, but it's oh so fun.

Red Dog: One of the DC's lost gems, nothing out there like it, and I
haven't even finished it!? What the hell is wrong with me?

MDK2: Never finished it, but I love that level design. Why do I get the
feeling that some of the guys working on this game work for Bungie?

Well, that ought to at least occupy another ten years worth of gaming
time in my world where I only game for a few hours a week. :( 

Scott -
On a Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 1:59:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Scott H wrote:

> the Dreamcast, I still actually play:

> San Fran Rush 2049: The death matches in this game are rivaled by few
> games. I still can't believe the reviews bitching about the framerate
> when so many games on newer consoles have the same dips!

hmm, i don't even remember any frame rate dips on this...!

> Dreamcast games I fully intend to play through again are:
>
> Test Drive: LeMans: The game that maxed out the Dreamcast, I need to
> unlock all those cars and do a real 24hr race.

cool, u've just given me another dc game 2 look out for :) 

> Red Dog: One of the DC's lost gems, nothing out there like it, and I
> haven't even finished it!? What the hell is wrong with me?

Ooooh yea this is 1 of the most fun dc games I've played. Finished it,
unlocked the extra-hard difficulty & played through quite far on that as
well. I love the control of the buggy, it feels so fun 2 drive around in.


--- Other games I still play on dc:

Rez - can't resist still picking it up & playing through sometimes just 4
the experience. It's like watching a great dvd over again, that u never get
tired of.

Mars Matrix - 1 of the best shmups EVER.

Ikaruga - the other best shmup EVER :) 

Crazy Taxi 1 - the best & the most balanced of the 3 crazy taxi games, and
still better than the ps2/cube/pc conversions. To fully appreciate this
game u need 2 get good enough to keep the time from going down, and have
games that last 20-40 minutes.

And then of course there's always emulators - NesterDC, SMEG, and ScummVM
are my favorites.


--- Games I'd like 2 play through again in the future:

Super Magnetic Neo - Crash bandicoot style platformer with the most original
controls (red & blue magnet poles, to attract / repel the character to
things on the level). Mental Japanese graphics too, which can only be a
good thing.

Bangai-O - Treasure + 2D + hectically mad shooter = zen gaming state. Needs
lots of red bull and possibly drugs to keep up.

Napple Tale - Doesn't work with Utopia boot cd, hopefully I'll come across a
DC-X or action replay disc that runs it. Looks like a pandemonium style
platformer with opera music and rpg-style story bits in between.


--
From Mr. Bogus (aka Paul) - hiding place reality.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:55:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Mr. Bogus wrote:
> Scott H wrote:
>
>
>>the Dreamcast, I still actually play:
>
>
>>San Fran Rush 2049: The death matches in this game are rivaled by few
>>games. I still can't believe the reviews bitching about the framerate
>>when so many games on newer consoles have the same dips!
>
>
> hmm, i don't even remember any frame rate dips on this...!

It only does it in the main tracks, and it's mostly only when
translucent smoke is abound. Furthermore, you can only notice it when
translucent smoke was abound and you're turning sharply. But man did it
ruin the experience for that poor IGN reviewer. ;) 

http://users4.ev1.net/%7Esheath/themedia.htm#IGN

>
>>Dreamcast games I fully intend to play through again are:
>>
>>Test Drive: LeMans: The game that maxed out the Dreamcast, I need to
>>unlock all those cars and do a real 24hr race.
>
>
> cool, u've just given me another dc game 2 look out for :) 

TD:LeMans is absolutely awesome, one of the best racers of this
generation hands down.


>
>>Red Dog: One of the DC's lost gems, nothing out there like it, and I
>>haven't even finished it!? What the hell is wrong with me?
>
>
> Ooooh yea this is 1 of the most fun dc games I've played. Finished it,
> unlocked the extra-hard difficulty & played through quite far on that as
> well. I love the control of the buggy, it feels so fun 2 drive around in.

That's hardcore man, this is a very difficult game, the levels really
take it out on you.


>
> --- Other games I still play on dc:
>
> Rez - can't resist still picking it up & playing through sometimes just 4
> the experience. It's like watching a great dvd over again, that u never get
> tired of.

I need to pick this one up yet, played it once or twice and it was
fairly addicting.

> Mars Matrix - 1 of the best shmups EVER.
>
> Ikaruga - the other best shmup EVER :) 

I still need Mars Matrix, though I might get it for Saturn instead.
Ikaruga is awesome, that's another one I need to finish still.

> Crazy Taxi 1 - the best & the most balanced of the 3 crazy taxi games, and
> still better than the ps2/cube/pc conversions. To fully appreciate this
> game u need 2 get good enough to keep the time from going down, and have
> games that last 20-40 minutes.

No joke, Crazy Taxi is just amazingly designed. That said, 2 has it's
own gameplay and can't really be compared to 1 because of that. Crazy
Taxi 2 ends up being a lot more complex, and a lot more optimized for
the Dreamcast than CT was, which is why I like it.

> And then of course there's always emulators - NesterDC, SMEG, and ScummVM
> are my favorites.

SMS Plus baby!

>
> --- Games I'd like 2 play through again in the future:
>
> Super Magnetic Neo - Crash bandicoot style platformer with the most original
> controls (red & blue magnet poles, to attract / repel the character to
> things on the level). Mental Japanese graphics too, which can only be a
> good thing.
>
> Bangai-O - Treasure + 2D + hectically mad shooter = zen gaming state. Needs
> lots of red bull and possibly drugs to keep up.

You're not kidding!


> Napple Tale - Doesn't work with Utopia boot cd, hopefully I'll come across a
> DC-X or action replay disc that runs it. Looks like a pandemonium style
> platformer with opera music and rpg-style story bits in between.
>
>


--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:11:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Scott H wrote:

> TD:LeMans is absolutely awesome, one of the best racers of this
> generation hands down.

Hmm, I saw it before at gamestation preowned for £12... think i'd better go
back this weekend & hope they still have it!

> No joke, Crazy Taxi is just amazingly designed. That said, 2 has it's
> own gameplay and can't really be compared to 1 because of that. Crazy
> Taxi 2 ends up being a lot more complex, and a lot more optimized for
> the Dreamcast than CT was, which is why I like it.

The problems I had with CT2 were :

1. The jump was a nice idea but often confused the arrow's sense of
direction more than anything (I guess this becomes less of a problem as u
learn the city layout more...?)

2. Picking up multiple passengers always seemed to make me lose time, can
you actually get good enough at this to gain time like with individual
customers?

--
From Mr. Bogus (aka Paul) - hiding place reality.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:13:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Mr. Bogus wrote:
> Scott H wrote:
>
>
>>TD:LeMans is absolutely awesome, one of the best racers of this
>>generation hands down.
>
>
> Hmm, I saw it before at gamestation preowned for £12... think i'd better go
> back this weekend & hope they still have it!

Hopefully.

>
>>No joke, Crazy Taxi is just amazingly designed. That said, 2 has it's
>>own gameplay and can't really be compared to 1 because of that. Crazy
>>Taxi 2 ends up being a lot more complex, and a lot more optimized for
>>the Dreamcast than CT was, which is why I like it.
>
>
> The problems I had with CT2 were :
>
> 1. The jump was a nice idea but often confused the arrow's sense of
> direction more than anything (I guess this becomes less of a problem as u
> learn the city layout more...?)

Probably so, I didn't have too much trouble with that aspect, though the
arrow does screw up once you're over buildings. I thought that CT1's
arrow was often wrong too? In both games I tend to go for the nearest
fare with the shortest distance to his destination, so the arrow ends up
being a bit unnecessary, except for right when I pick up the fare.

> 2. Picking up multiple passengers always seemed to make me lose time, can
> you actually get good enough at this to gain time like with individual
> customers?
>

That I do not know.

--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 12:07:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Scott H wrote:

>> 1. The jump was a nice idea but often confused the arrow's sense of
>> direction more than anything (I guess this becomes less of a problem as u
>> learn the city layout more...?)
>
> Probably so, I didn't have too much trouble with that aspect, though the
> arrow does screw up once you're over buildings. I thought that CT1's
> arrow was often wrong too? In both games I tend to go for the nearest
> fare with the shortest distance to his destination, so the arrow ends up
> being a bit unnecessary, except for right when I pick up the fare.

yea, i've played CT1 to the scary point where i use the "no arrow" cheat
'cos it's _less_ confusing that way. Sad, I know!

--
From Mr. Bogus (aka Paul) - hiding place reality.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 12:52:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Mr. Bogus wrote:

> Scott H wrote:
>
>> TD:LeMans is absolutely awesome, one of the best racers of this
>> generation hands down.
>
> Hmm, I saw it before at gamestation preowned for £12... think i'd better
> go back this weekend & hope they still have it!

Woohoo it was still there, here it's just called Le Mans 24 Hr here, weird.
You'd think the TD name would guarantee more sales wherever u are in the
world.

I can't believe they were pushing this kind of graphics out of the dreamcast
in 2000 - makes me only wonder what they'd b doing now if it was still an
officially supported console. Sound is also amazing, u can hear exactly
where all the cars around you are... they do sound a bit "indoors" tho. the
only thing that annoys me is the computer cars AI, but that could be the
easy setting i'm on, they just seem 2 b religiously staying on the best
line, which usually includes bashing me (and e/other) off the track unaware
of anyone else around them... still this hasn't stopped me from enjoying it
for the last 8 hours :)  I'm glad u recommended it, thanks!

--
From Mr. Bogus (aka Paul) - hiding place reality.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 4:16:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Mr. Bogus wrote:
> Mr. Bogus wrote:
>
>
>>Scott H wrote:
>>
>>
>>>TD:LeMans is absolutely awesome, one of the best racers of this
>>>generation hands down.
>>
>>Hmm, I saw it before at gamestation preowned for £12... think i'd better
>>go back this weekend & hope they still have it!
>
>
> Woohoo it was still there, here it's just called Le Mans 24 Hr here, weird.
> You'd think the TD name would guarantee more sales wherever u are in the
> world.
>
> I can't believe they were pushing this kind of graphics out of the dreamcast
> in 2000 - makes me only wonder what they'd b doing now if it was still an
> officially supported console. Sound is also amazing, u can hear exactly
> where all the cars around you are... they do sound a bit "indoors" tho. the
> only thing that annoys me is the computer cars AI, but that could be the
> easy setting i'm on, they just seem 2 b religiously staying on the best
> line, which usually includes bashing me (and e/other) off the track unaware
> of anyone else around them... still this hasn't stopped me from enjoying it
> for the last 8 hours :)  I'm glad u recommended it, thanks!

Yeah, that's definitely a difficulty setting thing. Also, you might
try an actual 24hr race. You can save at any time, but it's just
awesome to see what real endurance racing is all about finally.



--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
November 2, 2004 9:11:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Nomax wrote:

> Daytona USA & Soul Calibur.
> Still have Shenmue 2 to finish too, but don't have time :-(
>
> Cpt Nutrino a écrit :
>
>> I've had my Dreamcast and no other system for several years now
>> (actually I did have other systems but I sold them). After playing
>> over your
>> games for countless hours, what games do you still like to play?
>> Out of 150 games, I still find these to be my favorites for
>> multi-player:3) Frogger 2
>> 2) Bomberman Online
>> 1) Rush 2049
>>
>> Come to think of it, I don't play much anymore unless its
>> multiplayer. Runner ups are Tennis 2k2 and NHL 2k2.
>> CptN
>>
>
I still play with most of my games from time to time. Tops for replay:
DOA2, NFL2K1&K2, Starlancer,Soul Cailber,Tennis2K2 & Gundam side story
0079. Hoyle Casino to practice my blackjack & poker as well.
!