Paintshop Pro Question

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 11, 2005 12:15:00 AM

When I use the one step photo fix function, I notice the altered image
file is half or smaller than the size of the original. But of course
much improved.
Has the program removed lot's of useless artifacts, what has gone?
Can't find anything in the help files.
Just curious,
DonB

More about : paintshop pro question

April 11, 2005 6:27:35 AM

Thanks a lot Ken. I played around as you suggested, and It all makes
sense!
Interestingly, on this image the program optimizer gives 20%
compression factor, and that file at 200% enlargement was
indistinguishable from an uncompressed file when printed. The optimizer
must be very clever!
DonB
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:36:19 AM

oink@woosh.co.nz wrote:
> When I use the one step photo fix function, I notice the altered image
> file is half or smaller than the size of the original. But of course
> much improved.
> Has the program removed lot's of useless artifacts, what has gone?
> Can't find anything in the help files.
> Just curious,
> DonB

Hi Don...

The series of changes effected by the one step photo fix
actually added much more detail to the pic; so if you
saved it in compressed format it should have been much
larger, if anything.

Suspect what you're doing is saving the changed pic as a
jpeg; and you have the jpeg default compression level much
too high.

As an experiment, just before saving your next, click on
save as rather than save; choose jpeg (if it isn't already);
then before saving click options. Note that you can then
(many ways) choose the compression level.

Hope that helps, just a bit. Holler if you want more :)

Ken
April 11, 2005 7:37:43 PM

oink@woosh.co.nz wrote:
> Thanks a lot Ken. I played around as you suggested, and It all makes
> sense!
> Interestingly, on this image the program optimizer gives 20%
> compression factor, and that file at 200% enlargement was
> indistinguishable from an uncompressed file when printed. The optimizer
> must be very clever!
> DonB

When you save as a .jpg in PSP, look for the box that offers options, so you can experiment with
different compressions and see the effects. You'll get a better feel that way about what
compression works best for you.
!