Did my GPU overheat?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Overheat
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2011 8:21:40 PM

Okay, I'm currently having a problem with my GPU and I'm wondering if I may have let it get to hot. I've been playing the game W.O.T (World Of Tanks) and when I would play the game my temps could get up to 70-74 degrees C. When I asked a friend (who has built quite a few computers) if these temps were to high for my GPU he said that for the card (9600GT OC) that they were fine. Since they say on the NVIDIA website that the card can get up to 105 degrees C, (and it had never been even CLOSE to that) I thought the same. So I really wasn't all that concerned. Until... I turned on my computer today and found that the screen resolution was wayyyy down. So, I went to change it back to what it had been before and when I tried to do that it said "Input not supported". It was freaking supported yesterday!!!! At this point I'm wondering if those temps were NOT good and in fact I have just bust up my card... :(  If you think it may just be something invloving updating software or something that would be GREAT!

Also, I was playing W.O.T on either medium or high settings, no AA.

These are the stats for my computer:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750
Mobo: IPIBL-LA (Berkeley)
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 400GB 7200RPM
PSU: 300W
(If you want to know anything else about it, just ask)

And yes if it HAS in fact bust the card. I AM going to have a talk with my friend... :fou: 

More about : gpu overheat

a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 8:36:57 PM

Well, I can tell you that those temps are not outrageous for a GPU. I don't think your friend steered you wrong here, many graphics cards can get to 80-90C with no ill effects. However that doesn't mean that you don't have a pb with the video card.
I would suspect a software issue first, especially if you have automatic updates turned on. The issue of a formally supported resolution that now isn't supported kinda points in that direction.
Speaking of resolution, what resolution are you gaming at and does it match the desktop resolution?

Also that PSU sounds a little weak. Is it a oem power supply? (dell, gateway, HP, etc..)
m
l
August 13, 2011 8:56:34 PM

buzznut said:
Well, I can tell you that those temps are not outrageous for a GPU. I don't think your friend steered you wrong here, many graphics cards can get to 80-90C with no ill effects. However that doesn't mean that you don't have a pb with the video card.
I would suspect a software issue first, especially if you have automatic updates turned on. The issue of a formally supported resolution that now isn't supported kinda points in that direction.
Speaking of resolution, what resolution are you gaming at and does it match the desktop resolution?

Also that PSU sounds a little weak. Is it a oem power supply? (dell, gateway, HP, etc..)

If it was a software problem what should I do? Re-install the graphics drivers?

I think they were matching.. The game was playing in 1400 by 900. It's now in 1152 by 864.

Now that I checked (and thought about it) it isn't even giving me the option of the max res for the monitor, it's giving things way higher and lower!

Which led me to look up my monitor (ACER x193w) andddddddddddd I found this!

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/790471-solved-acer-x...

My exact same problem! I'm going to try re-installing my monitor graphics and see if that does it. If not I'll get back to this thread and try a few other things.

Thanks Buzznut for putting me on the right track though!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 9:58:06 PM

OK, good. Also you can try to get the system to recognize your monitor by going to Control panel>Appearance and personalization>Display> and click detect. Sometimes windows just needs a refresh about which monitor is hooked up. Particulalry useful after system updates or hardware changes.
m
l
!