Block Bud

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I have been told that My new GTS 250 graphics card will work in this computer on another thread.
I wish to know what you pro's would recommend i upgrade if i want to increase performance most cost effectively. My newly acquired computer Is the HP Compaq DC5800 Microtower With 2GB or PC2-6400 RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8Ghz.

Many thanks
Bud

With hp systems, the upgrade options may be too expensive. A quad core 9xxx series cpu will cost as much as a newer 1155, such as the 2500K, so I would avoid investing so much in old technology. If this is your system: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/dc5800_data_sheet.pdf then it may have a btx motherboard, which is no longer used by any of the pc manufacturer's. Handle with care. If you damage the board, getting a replacement may be difficult or costly. Use an esd strap if you handle the cpu/board/ram. I worked at dell, and static discharge damage can happen. Only upgrade you may want to try is another 2 gb of ram. Gently press the tabs that lock the ram in down and remove one ram stick. Write down the information for brand, speed, and model number and see if you can find 2 more 1 gb sticks just like the ones you have now. If the price is too high, check craigslist for used ones in your area. I don't know if the gts 250 requires a power supply lead to function. You may want to confirm that before purchasing. Good luck.

Block Bud

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Thanks for replying,
I have 2gb of ram in my current PC i am going to put into the DC5800,

In the future what would you recommend to buy that would be very cheap but performance wise decent. I am a bit of a gamer and may become more extensive with things like Skyrim. at the moment i play Minecraft and do adobe after effects CS4 on my current machine. Which is a AMD sempron 3800+ with 2GB of ddr2 667 RAM. with the GTS 250 in it.

Would the new system provided the GTS 250 works and 2GB from my Current PC see me a massive improvement??

Thanks for your time,

Bud