Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

BOOT DEVICE LED !!!HELP!!!

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 10, 2012 1:52:36 PM

Hi,

This is my build.

Thermaltake Overseer RX-I
ASUS P8Z77-V
i5-3570k
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb)
Sapphire Radeon 6850
Corsair TX850
Samsung 128gb SSD
Seagate 335gb HDD

I put my build together yesterday, and after carefully triple checking all of my wires and connections I started it up for the first time. When I started it up it came to a screen that said "Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Ver 0.93.1 AHCI Mode...etc..." then it says at the bottom " press any key to exit." Not matter what if i press a key or if i don't it goes to a black screen the is lightly lit. The monitor stays on that black screen and nothing happens. On the motherboard it goes through the posting steps and stops at Boot Device Led and the light stays lit. I have tried accessing the bios, and it does the same thing.I have gone through the trouble shooting procedures on this website with no avail. If anyone could help me with this or point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.

More about : boot device led

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 2:03:43 PM

Hi, What SATA ports have you connected the SSD and the HDD? Try connecting them to the gray or blue ones.
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 2:08:51 PM

I have connected to all SATA ports. The only time the message shows is when I am connected to the dark blue SATA ports. I have used a 3g SATA cable and a 6g.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 2:35:29 PM

The dark blue are ASMedia. The other are Intel. Do you have a DVD drive? Connect it to a blue SATA port, set it as the primary boot device, insert a Windows DVD and try installing Windows.
m
0
l
a c 126 Ĉ ASUS
a c 490 V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 2:46:26 PM

was the board new or used??? most of the time the 3 party sata chipset is turned off by default. on the mb itself the two top light blue ports are 3 party chipset ports and are not made to be boot off from. the two gray ports are the intel 6g ports.
the 4 darker blue ports are the intel 3g ports. page 2-22 on your mb guild. in advance mode in the bios by default the bios sata port should be set to achi not ide or raid. page 3-19. also check on the bios first page what the rev of the mb bios is to se if you have all of the bios bug fixes. the bios for your my is up to rev 1616 on asus web page.
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 2:49:29 PM

alexoiu said:
The dark blue are ASMedia. The other are Intel. Do you have a DVD drive? Connect it to a blue SATA port, set it as the primary boot device, insert a Windows DVD and try installing Windows.


I connected my DVD drive to the Dark blue SATA port and inserted the disk, the disk made a sound but not the loading sound a disk normally makes. I also connected to the light blue SATA port and it made a disk loading sound, but the DVD drive just kept running and nothing happened.
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 2:49:36 PM

smorizio said:
was the board new or used??? most of the time the 3 party sata chipset is turned off by default. on the mb itself the two top light blue ports are 3 party chipset ports and are not made to be boot off from. the two gray ports are the intel 6g ports.
the 4 darker blue ports are the intel 3g ports. page 2-22 on your mb guild. in advance mode in the bios by default the bios sata port should be set to achi not ide or raid. page 3-19. also check on the bios first page what the rev of the mb bios is to se if you have all of the bios bug fixes. the bios for your my is up to rev 1616 on asus web page.


It is a new board that i purchased from amazon. I have attempted to access the Bios a multiple of times to and i have been unsuccessful.
m
0
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 3:06:47 PM

Leave only one RAM stick installed, remove the graphics card and use the onboard, leave only the DVD installed to one of the blue (not dark blue) SATA ports, start and see what happens.
Try also clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord nd remove the CMOS battery for few minutes).
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 3:07:49 PM

alexoiu said:
Leave only one RAM stick installed, remove the graphics card and use the onboard, leave only the DVD installed to one of the blue (not dark blue) SATA ports, start and see what happens.


That is the way i have it set up, it does the same thing whether i have 2 sticks of ram or 1 or if i have my graphics card in or not. The only way to get my DVD drive to run, I have to start the PC and then hit the reset button.
m
0
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 3:17:41 PM

Have you tried to flash the BIOS?
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 3:23:13 PM

alexoiu said:
Have you tried to flash the BIOS?


I attempted to, but i dont think i did it. What should i do?

Also, I cannot access the bios.

I have reset my cmos, i even moved the pin from 1 - 2 to 2 - 3 then back.

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 3:28:11 PM

Download the latest version from the ASUS site, unzip and rename it to Z77VB.CAP Save it on a FAT formatted USB stick. Insert the drive to the Flashback designated USB port. Press the Flashback button for 3 seconds with the PSU connected.
Share
November 10, 2012 3:46:31 PM

alexoiu said:
Download the latest version from the ASUS site, unzip and rename it to Z77VB.CAP Save it on a FAT formatted USB stick. Insert the drive to the Flashback designated USB port. Press the Flashback button for 3 seconds with the PSU connected.


I downloaded the latest bios, transferred them to a USB and inserted them into a USB port on the motherboard. I pressed the Bios Flashback button while the PC was off and while it was on and I had not change. The computer still turned on and went to a black screen.
m
0
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 3:47:59 PM

Have you renamed it?
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 3:50:23 PM

alexoiu said:
Have you renamed it?


Yes I did I renamed it to Z77VB.CAP. Also, i noticed there is a Bios Flashback LED, that did not turn on.

I am attempting to reflash the bios, i had it in the USB port next to the bios flashback USB
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 3:57:08 PM

YES! It worked. Thank you very much for helping me. I will be sure to bestow this knowledge onto someone else in the future.
Thanks again alexoiu!
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 3:57:22 PM

Best answer selected by goldenhavoc.
m
0
l
October 27, 2013 9:24:18 AM

I had the same exact boot error LED issue. I am a complete noob but thanks to this forum and your posts, I was able to update my bios and my problem is also solved! Thanks - this has been driving me crazy!

Asus P8Z77-v pro Thunderbolt
i7 3770 k
16 GB Crucial Sport Low Profile 1600 DDR3 (Needed low profile - Corsair Vengance did not fit in case with fans)
Asus 660ti
Corsair H100i (push/pull)
Thermaltake Overseer RX1
Seasonic Gold 650W
256 GB Samsung 240 pro SSD
(2) 3TB WD Caviar Black HDD (raid 1)
Windows 7 Pro



m
0
l
!