Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First build for university/gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2011 10:30:45 PM

Hey guys, I am looking to build a PC mainly for research purposes; I want something that copes well with several programs open at once (internet, word processor, pdf reader, translation software). I don't do much PC gaming, but I with a decent setup this will probably change.

I don't know a great deal about computers, but in doing this I hope to learn a lot, as well as save some money and get a build suited to my needs.

My laptop still works fine (although almost 3 years old), so I don't need to build this in a hurry, maybe over the next few months. I don't really have a budget, I just want parts that will suit my needs without being too expensive.

I already have a monitor (22 inch @ 1680x1050), mouse and keyboard. I also have an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard that I got off a friend.

The other parts I am looking at are:
CPU: i5 2500k.
Storage: Samsung F3 ITB
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb (1333/1600?)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
And some cheap DVD/Cd drive.

I'm not sure about PSU, Case and graphics card (and if I will need added cooling). I live in New Zealand and these are some options I found with NZ prices.

PSU: Antec TruePower New Series 650/750W (@ $150/160 NZ); Seasonic M12/S12 620W (both around $150); FSP Group Aurum 600/700W ($140/165)

Graphics: MSI GeForce N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC 1GB ($340); Sapphire Radeon HD6870 (11179-00) HDMI Dual-DisplayPort Dual-DVI 1GB ($310); Sapphire Radeon HD6850 HDMI DisplayPort Dual-DVI 1GB ($230).

Case: CM Storm Scout/Enforcer ($160/170); Corsair Carbide 400R ($210); Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced ($170).

I will probably run the system as stock at first, but i will look to overclock in future. Should I look at extra cooling now, or will it be ok until I decide to play around?

As I said, I'm a novice so some of these parts may be terrible choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated though, especially if there are better alternatives at similar prices. I have read around as much as possible, but I think I could do with some advice.

Best solution

October 13, 2011 10:55:38 PM

you seem to have a pretty good idea of what to do here.....all solid choices

one thing i'll suggest is this case......you can lock your periphials and its easy to transport

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/surv...
October 13, 2011 11:11:00 PM

Thanks for your suggestion, badtaylor. I like the look of that case and it is a similar price to the ones I was looking at.

I'm still a bit lost when it comes to the graphics card. Is there a danger of getting something that is too good for my monitor (22 inch 1680x1050)?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 13, 2011 11:22:42 PM

lordhipponax said:
Thanks for your suggestion, badtaylor. I like the look of that case and it is a similar price to the ones I was looking at.

I'm still a bit lost when it comes to the graphics card. Is there a danger of getting something that is too good for my monitor (22 inch 1680x1050)?

Not at all - it's all driver dependent. The current NVIDIA and ATI drivers will scale the GPU's resolution to match your monitor automatically, that doesn't really matter for the most part.
October 24, 2011 12:08:38 AM

Best answer selected by lordhipponax.
!