First build for university/gaming PC

lordhipponax

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hey guys, I am looking to build a PC mainly for research purposes; I want something that copes well with several programs open at once (internet, word processor, pdf reader, translation software). I don't do much PC gaming, but I with a decent setup this will probably change.

I don't know a great deal about computers, but in doing this I hope to learn a lot, as well as save some money and get a build suited to my needs.

My laptop still works fine (although almost 3 years old), so I don't need to build this in a hurry, maybe over the next few months. I don't really have a budget, I just want parts that will suit my needs without being too expensive.

I already have a monitor (22 inch @ 1680x1050), mouse and keyboard. I also have an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard that I got off a friend.

The other parts I am looking at are:
CPU: i5 2500k.
Storage: Samsung F3 ITB
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb (1333/1600?)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
And some cheap DVD/Cd drive.

I'm not sure about PSU, Case and graphics card (and if I will need added cooling). I live in New Zealand and these are some options I found with NZ prices.

PSU: Antec TruePower New Series 650/750W (@ $150/160 NZ); Seasonic M12/S12 620W (both around $150); FSP Group Aurum 600/700W ($140/165)

Graphics: MSI GeForce N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC 1GB ($340); Sapphire Radeon HD6870 (11179-00) HDMI Dual-DisplayPort Dual-DVI 1GB ($310); Sapphire Radeon HD6850 HDMI DisplayPort Dual-DVI 1GB ($230).

Case: CM Storm Scout/Enforcer ($160/170); Corsair Carbide 400R ($210); Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced ($170).

I will probably run the system as stock at first, but i will look to overclock in future. Should I look at extra cooling now, or will it be ok until I decide to play around?

As I said, I'm a novice so some of these parts may be terrible choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated though, especially if there are better alternatives at similar prices. I have read around as much as possible, but I think I could do with some advice.

Solution
you seem to have a pretty good idea of what to do here.....all solid choices

one thing i'll suggest is this case......you can lock your periphials and its easy to transport

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/survivor/

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
you seem to have a pretty good idea of what to do here.....all solid choices

one thing i'll suggest is this case......you can lock your periphials and its easy to transport

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/survivor/

Solution

lordhipponax

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks for your suggestion, badtaylor. I like the look of that case and it is a similar price to the ones I was looking at.

I'm still a bit lost when it comes to the graphics card. Is there a danger of getting something that is too good for my monitor (22 inch 1680x1050)?

g-unit1111

Titan

Not at all - it's all driver dependent. The current NVIDIA and ATI drivers will scale the GPU's resolution to match your monitor automatically, that doesn't really matter for the most part.