pacmanandre

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
HI,

So this is probably the funniest/stupidest question you'll get on this forum...
But whle taking out my CPU, some thermal paste got on my fingers and some ended up going on to the CPU pins. I read online, and decided to dip the pins in alcohol. unfortunately, while I was dipping them in alchohol, the entire CPU fell in and was completely submerged with alcohol(rubbing alcohol btw).

I was wondering if there could be complications do to this in the future. I was able to turn on my computer and it ran, but just wondering if it could potential damage the mobo, ram or cause something bad in the future.

Btw, just looked at the CPU pins, there is still a TINYYY TINY bit of thermal paste on the pins if closely looked at. Is that bad also?

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
With something like that it may have degraded your cpu a bit (not sure), but I'd say you'll be just fine. Chances are if you where really screwed you would've known about it fairly quickly.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Depends on the nature of the TIM. If it's the common type that uses silicon then no, no problem from an electrical stand point. As for dropping it in alcohol again no problem since even in manufacturing, it usually gets "washed" in alcohol and other solvents.

bucknutty

Distinguished
The thermal paste is not going to do much as long as there is not enough to bridge 2 connections and cause a short or to stop the pins from interfering with the contact of the board.

Because of all the other junk in rubbing alcohol it can corrode and even dissolve copper. I honestly don’t think you will have a problem but you never know. If the computer is working now just pretend this incident never happened and move on.

I guess if you are really worried you could get pure alcohol, or even distilled water and dip the chip in that too but that seems a little nuts.