Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU

Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2012 6:14:20 PM

If you was hired to build a computer from your friends.
Example {AMD PHENOM II X4 955}
Would you recommend OverClock even through it ruins your warranty, And take life away from your CPU.

Tell me what you think

More about : cpu

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 6:39:11 PM

It depends on the user. I would recommend doing an OC if the user wants to increase his/her system performance w/o having to upgrade the CPU. The 955 is still a very decent CPU and OC's quite nicely. Despite any warranty issues, I would recommend doing an OC, because if done right, there won't be any problems.

As far as life expectancy, there isn't significant loss. I've had my 945 OC'ed for years and it's still running strong.
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 6:45:38 PM

computertechs said:
If you was hired to build a computer from your friends.
Example {AMD PHENOM II X4 955}
Would you recommend OverClock even through it ruins your warranty, And take life away from your CPU.

Tell me what you think

Depends on the OC. You don't practically run a CPU at its maximum extreme overclock 24/7. You find a nice sweet spot where your clock speeds are good, temps are good and your vcore isn't much more than 10% higher than nominal. Building for another person I would still OC (if they wanted it) but would do so more conservatively than I would on my own machine.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 6:50:14 PM

As long as you are smart about it then go for it (if the motherboard has sufficient VRM cooling, etc.)

But out of the box the P2x4 are really nice cpus, I don't think you will notice that much of a speed increase going from say 3.1 to 3.5 ish
Score
January 13, 2012 6:52:23 PM

Best answer selected by computertechs.
Score
January 13, 2012 6:55:04 PM

mouse24 said:
As long as you are smart about it then go for it (if the motherboard has sufficient VRM cooling, etc.)

But out of the box the P2x4 are really nice cpus, I don't think you will notice that much of a speed increase going from say 3.1 to 3.5 ish

Amd phenom ii x 955 runs at 3.2 Ghz W/ Turbo it 3.6

Score
!