SLI on 16/4 pcie

Status
Not open for further replies.

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I'm looking for examples of people adding sli to a 16x and a 4x pcie? I have only heard that nvidia doesn't allow it, but surely someone has tried anyway, correct? thanks

Solution
Oh another thing board makers these days got no sense at all to instead put 16x4 they should have done 8x8x4 and give people the chance of a proper sli/crossfire board for at least a two way setup with the option of such things as a raid controller or pci-e ssd but nope 16x4. The board is ok for that config but what ever you get buy something that is even worth your time. Any thing less don't bother.

You heard that Nvidia doesn't allow it? More likely you heard that you won't get maxium performance.

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I read a post that said when I place the second card into the 4x pcie (with a card in the 16x pcie) that the nvidia control panel does not recognize the option to turn on sli.

Thanks for you ideas, I'm curious if anyone has actual experience doing it? Thanks for your help.

Well I have owned and still own my fair share of sli rigs and 16x4 is not the way to do it period and you want equal bandwidth going to both cards or performance in scaling from one card to two is going to be very poor. Worse case it either doesn't work at all or is even a downgrade from where you were before or the gains are so small that they are hardly notice either way you won't be happy with this. Either swap the board out or stay with a single card.

Oh another thing board makers these days got no sense at all to instead put 16x4 they should have done 8x8x4 and give people the chance of a proper sli/crossfire board for at least a two way setup with the option of such things as a raid controller or pci-e ssd but nope 16x4. The board is ok for that config but what ever you get buy something that is even worth your time. Any thing less don't bother.

Solution

many of the gigabyte z68 boards have an 8/8 or 8/8/4 setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.