I5 2500k vs AMD FX-8150

Hey GUys, I'm going to build a computer soon, and I'm not sure whether to get an i5 2500k or an FX-8150. The price of a FX 8150 is between the i7 2600k and the i5 2500k. I'm wondering which is better in high-end gaming, some (not too heavy) multi-tasking, and high-def movies. And can you tell me why you would choose one over the other? Thanks

Parts that I decided on so far.
CASE: HAF X (HAF 932 if on a big sale or something)
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
GPU: ASUS GTX 580 (probably will SLI later on, and may get 2 GTX 570 if on sale)
MEMORY: Kingston HyperX 8gb (or of course, ripjaw or vengeance if on sale)
HARD DRIVE: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (may get an SSD if I got money left over)
8 answers Last reply
More about 2500k 8150
  1. Have you read the FX 8150 reviews? That should answer your question as to which one best meets your requirements.
  2. of the two processors the intel is clearly , on average, the stronger part and it is the better gamer .

BUT
    it wont matter which you use .
    Monitors run at 60 Hz which just happens to be 60 fps . Your graphics card is going to max out any game on any 1080p monitor and it just wont matter which cpu you use .
    Both rigs will exceed 60 fps easily

The answer then is still to buy the intel . It uses less power
  3. Outlander_04 said:
    of the two processors the intel is clearly , on average, the stronger part and it is the better gamer .

BUT
    it wont matter which you use .
    Monitors run at 60 Hz which just happens to be 60 fps . Your graphics card is going to max out any game on any 1080p monitor and it just wont matter which cpu you use .
    Both rigs will exceed 60 fps easily

The answer then is still to buy the intel . It uses less power

In addition to the i5 being less expensive..That is what disturbs me the most as an AMD fan. Its not positioned well. I haven't seen it online yet for less than $270.
  4. buzznut said:
    In addition to the i5 being less expensive..That is what disturbs me the most as an AMD fan. Its not positioned well. I haven't seen it online yet for less than $270.

Very good point .

But there is some hope
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx-8150--8120-6100-and-4100-performance-review/10

Farcry 2 every processor exceeds the monitors 60Hz/ 60 FPS even at 1080p

Crysis 2 the range is frame rates from the slowest to strongest cpu is 2 fps at 1080p.
    This is a difference you would never notice

So do you buy a 2500k or an FX 8150?

Neither
    for gaming
    get
    a
    FX 4100

spend the money you save on the cpu on a better graphics card
  5. Outlander_04 said:
    Very good point .

But there is some hope
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx-8150--8120-6100-and-4100-performance-review/10

Farcry 2 every processor exceeds the monitors 60Hz/ 60 FPS even at 1080p

Crysis 2 the range is frame rates from the slowest to strongest cpu is 2 fps at 1080p.
    This is a difference you would never notice

So do you buy a 2500k or an FX 8150?

Neither
    for gaming
    get
    a
    FX 4100

spend the money you save on the cpu on a better graphics card

This is cool, I've been waiting for some FX 4100 reviews. Everybody's been so focused on the 8150. You make an excellent point, I like this little quad core. thx for the link.
  6. I don't know if the reviews i have seen are full proof. But for budget gaming, I am planning on the 2500k w/ Asus Deluxe for 420$
  7. 2500k is cheaper and gives better performance unless you are coverting videos or something.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kd4dvLJQP4
  8. Two years old i5 750 beats FX-4170 in almost every benchmark
    http://www.techspot.com/review/452-amd-bulldozer-fx-cpus/page10.html

Just because FX-4170 has high clock speed that doesn't automatically make a good CPU

I haven't seen any benchmark for FX-4100. However, if you want me to guess I would say that it is probably slower than Phenom II X4 840 or i3 2100 in most cases
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Intel i5 Systems