MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Well my router finally broke. I am directley hooked to the internet to send this msg:

I have Comcast Cable (high speed internet) and was wondering if you guys would recommend some stuff.

We are all college kids so don’t have too much money to blow but we are planning on dropping around 100-200 dollars. All of us are into computers games pretty heavy. Mainly online computer games thus we need a good network.

Since there are seven computers and four people this makes the average 4-1 router not a feasible option. That’s where the questions begin. If we get something like the D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless 108G Gaming Router, could we add a hub to handle the rest of the computers?

Or is there a better way to go about doing this?

Thanks guys!

riser

Illustrious
If you want wireless, buy the Linksys wireless router.. save the money and don't go with the speedbooster.. If everyone has wireless, you'll be good but you're gaming.. it should be good enough to play, but don't expect the equivilent to wired.

If you want to save money and don't mind some cables, buy the linksys 5 port router and pick up a linksys switch.. maybe running you 90 dollars.. run a cable from the router to the switch, you now have enough connections.. You'll have 3 on the router (1 for WAN, 1 for the switch) and 4 more on the switch (5 port switch, 1 goes to Uplink from router). Maybe pick up an 8 port switch to make sure you'll be fine.. should cost you under 150 total regardless.

If you want wireless, just do the router and make sure everyone has wireless.. if not, you can pick up a linksys AP w/ built in switch..

Riser

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I think only one person has wireless and I guess the Xbox does so we were thinking something like the Linksys WRT54AG, along with an 8 port switch.

This will work fine right ?

riser

Illustrious
Yeah.. I believe the AG version is a bit more expensive because it's A.. you might just want the G version if it's cheaper.
You just need to wire the switch into the router and you're good to go.

Riser