SPDIF to HIFI probs

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a SBLive Platinum and use the SPDIF out to connect to my amplifier which is a Dolby digital equiped amp. I don't think it is supposed to have a SPDIF conection unless it is Dolby digital as the sound sometimes cuts out for a few seconds. When I tried connecting it to a CD player with a SPDIF out the sound was baddly distorted with digital noise. Is it possible to connect the SPDIF out on a sound card to a home cinema dolby digital in or should I just be thankful it works most of the time?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=1686" target="_new">System spec.</A> Ideas appreciated.

HamsterSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As far as i know, the SPDIF out is supposed to connect to a Dolby Digital amplifier with no problems. That's what I've seen in everywhere, in stores, promotion on the web etc., and I don't see what else the SPDIF could be used for?

If the sound acts weird, there must be a problem somewhere. It is mean to be connected the way you've described.

G

Hmmm ... I have no problem using SPDIF (SB Live, Harmon Kardon Digital Amp)

Be aware - Your sound card can only output a Sterio signal for games etc, the only time you'll get 5.1 surround is when you have an AC3 source, such as DVD movies.

Sighs ... I dumped the digital connection and have gone back to analogue

G

Dang-so no A3d positional audio? Why is it that in all these reviews of speaker setups like the Midiland 8200s that they say how great the positional audio is in games like Thief2? (The 8200s only have an optical, a coaxial digital, and a pair of stereo analog inputs) It seems like you'd need two inputs, one for front and one for back, but most of these speaker setups don't have that. Any ideas?

G

Hmmmm ... I've noticed that my SB Live! has two digital outputs (on the sterio minijack), one for front l/r and the other for rear l/r. I think this is how creative get their digital output to the speakers.

It's kind of annoying, the "dual" digital outputs, in that most HIFI equipment expects a single input, or Dolby Dig/DTS.

Sighs .....