Sign in with
Your question

What would a bad CPU do...

Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2012 7:22:35 PM

im testing a computer here and i tested every thing, the only thing left is the board(it had a CPU on it before the new one i have on it now, it was fine except it would never turn in stand by) and the CPU, i tested with 3 other HDD that all tested good, but finnished by being messed up at the end and would some times not get detected, im gonna list whats on the board and been tested or new:

CPU: not tested, came from an used system
M/B: not tested, used but never had a problem
RAM: tested for during a 30 hours run passed 24 times(8GB), new
PSU: tested(tryed a different one), new
HDD: tested 2 other different drives, all tested good with formatted, but had problems before format(seaget tools requested a repair, did repair, but could not boot windows after)
DVD-ROM: tested different ones after realoading system second time
windows 7 installation disc: tested more the one
motherboard battery: tested..... removed it and replace
BIOS: reseted bios, updated bios

im really stuck right now..... the CPU is an intel i5 2500k 650 1156
is there a software to test a CPU out there, or am i gonna have to buy a new M/B to test it?

More about : bad cpu

a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 7:28:19 PM

What exactly is the issue? Sorry, I couldn't understand very well. Let me get this straight, you have an LGA 1155 CPU and you are testing it on an 1155 board, correct? You said it was a Core i5 2500k 1156, which means if you think it is an 1156 CPU and you are testing it on a 1156 board, you are going to have issue, as that CPU is an 1155 CPU. What motherboard too?
m
l
January 13, 2012 7:55:00 PM

first you got to understand that i made it work, at first i installed in windows for the first time and every thing was fine for a few days then it started losing the drive ones in a while, and finiched by not being able to detect it at all, mean while i was able to see the data with another computer, this is the mean problem

from what i know making what you said would cuss problems right away, while my problem happens every few times after installing all drivers correctly

i got a P7H55-M, its a 1156 socket, from what i learned a 55 does not fit in a 56, why would i test every thing if i would not even be able to put the CPU on it
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 8:14:05 PM

you sure you have the right board and cpu?

cause 1155 won't fit or run on 1156.

you either have the wrong cpu or wrong board.

as for your problem, run prime95 and see if your cpu is stable. most likely its the mb.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 8:16:57 PM

Okay, I think I understand the issue. The drive worked for a few days, started to not be detected, and then went completely out, correct? Also, you are using a H55 board and a LGA1155 CPU together. DON'T DO THAT! YOU WILL DAMAGE THE BOARD AND CPU!!!!!!!!!! The h55 board is an 1156 socket! The Core i5 2500k is an 1155 CPU! They are not compatible! That is your issue. The CPU you are running is meant for a different motherboard.
m
l
January 13, 2012 8:25:37 PM

esrever said:
you sure you have the right board and cpu?

cause 1155 won't fit or run on 1156.

you either have the wrong cpu or wrong board.

as for your problem, run prime95 and see if your cpu is stable. most likely its the mb.

*facepalm of death* i loaded the computer 3 times, it was good 3 times, until it stops detecting the HDD, and the data on it was not looking good(could not load the system after repair, coudl not detect drive before repair)

i ran Prime95 and inteltestburn when it was running, at less 20 test pass, maybe more?... idk about that, its a board that i just switched to(from a friend, every thing was perfect for him)
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 8:32:02 PM

if you did put a 1155 on a 1156 then you probably broke something. I don't even see how its even possible as the pins are different, even if you broke the notches that stop the cpu from going in, its not going to run.
m
l
January 13, 2012 8:36:31 PM

HostileDonut said:
Okay, I think I understand the issue. The drive worked for a few days, started to not be detected, and then went completely out, correct? Also, you are using a H55 board and a LGA1155 CPU together. DON'T DO THAT! YOU WILL DAMAGE THE BOARD AND CPU!!!!!!!!!! The h55 board is an 1156 socket! The Core i5 2500k is an 1155 CPU! They are not compatible! That is your issue. The CPU you are running is meant for a different motherboard.

unless i looked bad im pretty sure that its a what i told you it was...... the CPU..... the board i can read it right now...... i dont fell like getting my fingers durty >_< and remove the cooler.... BIOS..... sorry its the i5 650 xD, im gonna go an scratch that
m
l
January 13, 2012 8:41:57 PM

esrever said:
if you did put a 1155 on a 1156 then you probably broke something. I don't even see how its even possible as the pins are different, even if you broke the notches that stop the cpu from going in, its not going to run.

oh its not that much of a problem, it was free..... but lol...... it fitted perfectly, and did not broke anything..... its a 56 CPU, its the 650, sorry for the error, i dont know why i had the 2500K in mind...... but its a 650....
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 9:13:16 PM

Oh, that is really weird then, Switch the drive to a different SATA Port.
m
l
January 14, 2012 4:15:46 AM

HostileDonut said:
Oh, that is really weird then, Switch the drive to a different SATA Port.

i tried that...... tried it with every port, does not make a difference..... the other thing is the the CD rom never failed on me...... so it cant be the chipset that is controlling this right.....
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 2:22:09 PM

Try suing a different drive. And, can you get into the BIOS? See if it recognizes the drive.
m
l
January 14, 2012 7:57:59 PM

did this, when it stops to be detected most time i reload it cant detect the drive, but if i try a new one, it detects it the... right way. perfecto, no problem, but the drive that has been there for a while, is not detected until i wipe it.....

you see why im lost here..... this does not even make any kinda sense... i dont get where the problem is coming from
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 9:30:32 PM

Do all other drives work properly ALL the time? If not, I would say the drive is bad.
m
l
January 14, 2012 9:48:35 PM

lol...... there ALL new drives, they ave all been tested, and they where find, execpt i tested them and Seagate tools wanted to repair something, but after repair, it just dint boot anymore..... it did detect, but i needed to wipe it to detect it.....

so yes, they work good ALL the time, i have one of them in another system right now, works perfectly(been in for 5 days or so)......
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 9:56:56 PM

I would return the drive, as it is the only thing that is making your system not boot until you wipe it.
m
l
January 14, 2012 10:00:31 PM

HostileDonut said:
I would return the drive, as it is the only thing that is making your system not boot until you wipe it.

did i told you that i tried 3 drives? 3 new drives, test, one is Seagate, 2 are blue WD...... not crape used ones, NEW ones, its not a manufacturer problem, its cuss its two different company
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 10:03:47 PM

Okay, you tried all the drives, but one seems to not work correctly sometimes until you wipe it, correct? I don't care if they are new, I care if one is broken. What I am telling you is, if all the drives work fine, but one doesn't always work, then it is the broken one whether it is new or not.

Also, please spell correctly. It is really hard to figure out what you are saying when you spell things incorrectly.
m
l
January 14, 2012 11:38:51 PM

sorry it seems that im not the best to write in english, first language is french

now.... i dont understand what you dont get, all drives finish by not working, all drives do the same thing, all drives are tested and work fine, i had this problem several times, with ALL drives...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 11:42:27 PM

Oh, okay. If your first in French, I cannot blame you. Sorry! :( 

I thought you said all drives work but one. Sorry. If all the drives end up not working in the end, I would say it is the board. The CPU, GPU, PSU, Case, RAM, etc all would not have anything to do with it. I would send back the board.
m
l
!