Desktop taskbar not saving

July 30, 2004 12:53:39 AM

Greetings,
I run XP Pro. I've customized my desktop taskbar to have
several imbedded shortcuts in a specific order as well as
some other shortcuts that appear when I hit the popup
arrow. Whenever I restart the computer it seems to change
the order, add different shortcuts etc and not save the
settings I've chosen.
When I right click on the toolbar, 'Lock the Taskbar' is
checked off

Anyone have any idea how to fix this so my customized
settings remain?

More about : desktop taskbar saving

July 30, 2004 4:18:06 AM

Hi Marco,

Sounds as though you are speaking of the Quick Lauch Bar. Common issue as
of late:

Quick Launch: Gives error message, Cannot Create Toolbar

Either download the .reg or .vbs from here or run my utility listed below it
to correct.
Note: If you already have my utility downloaded, you will need to
re-download for the added fix.

Cannot Create Toolbar - Quick Launch (Line 296)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus! Quick Launch - Repair

Quick Launch: Won't remain checked/present nor retains the sort order

Either check your settings here:

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

In the right pane under Userinit, Change the key to read:
C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

Or download and run the reg file on line 263 (right hand side)

Tip:

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you
may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double click the vbs
file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Marco" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> I run XP Pro. I've customized my desktop taskbar to have
> several imbedded shortcuts in a specific order as well as
> some other shortcuts that appear when I hit the popup
> arrow. Whenever I restart the computer it seems to change
> the order, add different shortcuts etc and not save the
> settings I've chosen.
> When I right click on the toolbar, 'Lock the Taskbar' is
> checked off
>
> Anyone have any idea how to fix this so my customized
> settings remain?
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:20:07 PM

Hi Marco,

It's caused by a malware BlazeFind. Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

(Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes)

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Taskbar / Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

!