Desktop taskbar not saving

Greetings,
I run XP Pro. I've customized my desktop taskbar to have
several imbedded shortcuts in a specific order as well as
some other shortcuts that appear when I hit the popup
arrow. Whenever I restart the computer it seems to change
the order, add different shortcuts etc and not save the
settings I've chosen.
When I right click on the toolbar, 'Lock the Taskbar' is
checked off

Anyone have any idea how to fix this so my customized
settings remain?
2 answers Last reply
More about desktop taskbar saving

    Hi Marco,

    Sounds as though you are speaking of the Quick Lauch Bar. Common issue as
    of late:

    Quick Launch: Gives error message, Cannot Create Toolbar

    Either download the .reg or .vbs from here or run my utility listed below it
    to correct.
    Note: If you already have my utility downloaded, you will need to
    re-download for the added fix.

    Cannot Create Toolbar - Quick Launch (Line 296)

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus! Quick Launch - Repair

    Quick Launch: Won't remain checked/present nor retains the sort order

    Either check your settings here:

    Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

    In the right pane under Userinit, Change the key to read:
    C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

    Or download and run the reg file on line 263 (right hand side)

    Tip:

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you
    may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double click the vbs
    file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Marco" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    > I run XP Pro. I've customized my desktop taskbar to have
    > several imbedded shortcuts in a specific order as well as
    > some other shortcuts that appear when I hit the popup
    > arrow. Whenever I restart the computer it seems to change
    > the order, add different shortcuts etc and not save the
    > settings I've chosen.
    > When I right click on the toolbar, 'Lock the Taskbar' is
    > checked off
    >
    > Anyone have any idea how to fix this so my customized
    > settings remain?

    Hi Marco,

    It's caused by a malware BlazeFind. Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

    HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

    (Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes)

    Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Taskbar / Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    "Marco" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70ae01c475e8$cc2cd850$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    Greetings,
    I run XP Pro. I've customized my desktop taskbar to have
    several imbedded shortcuts in a specific order as well as
    some other shortcuts that appear when I hit the popup
    arrow. Whenever I restart the computer it seems to change
    the order, add different shortcuts etc and not save the
    settings I've chosen.
    When I right click on the toolbar, 'Lock the Taskbar' is
    checked off

    Anyone have any idea how to fix this so my customized
    settings remain?

Configuration Taskbar Desktops Customization Windows XP