Need your opinion on the NZXT H2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_M

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hello,

I want to buy a new case for a gaming PC, and I've considered buying the NZXT H2 after reading some reviews. I also liked the looks of this case.
My PC:
-- I already own this build --
MSI P35 Platinum Combo Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @2.5 Ghz (Intel stock cooling fan)
Enermax Pro+82 525W
Current graphics card - Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 Vapour-X
I want to upgrade to a Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 1GB OC

My concerens are:
Will the Gigabyte graphics card fit into the case? I can certainly sacrifice a few HDD slots to make it fit inside.

Is the case any good? From what I've read, it is a very silent case, but it's pretty hot inside...

If you can suggest a better case in a similar price, I'll be happy to hear :)

Thanks in Advance.
Daniel.

Solution
I have that exact case. It's pretty good, I like it. And your GPU will be no where near in the way of any HDD or SATA drives. Also, a good place in the back to route cables through for increased air flow. My case runs very cool with an i5 2500k OC'd to 4.6 ghz, MSI 560 Ti 2GB (OC edition) and a Cougar 700W 80 plus silver.

Only concerns:
A lot of people on newegg report the fan controller being broke when they get the case, and it's a hassle trying to fix it. Didn't happen to me.

My case may run cooler than reported because I bought the additional (not included) 140mm NZXT top fan and 120mm bottom fan. These hook right up to the fan controller cables and it's worth the small investment in cooling IMO.

jraake

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
A link to the case would be nice.

On your build, I think your choice of CPU is not going to match the performance of your GPU. Take a look at some benchmarks before you buy. That CPU is so old, it will bottleneck your GPU into performing about as well as a 5xxx series Radeon. If you want to get the most out of your build, aim for a core i5 or better.

Daniel_M

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Will the bottleneck effect performence a lot? Because if I want to upgrade my CPU I'll have to buy a new Motherboard (the chipset supported in my current motherboard doesn't support iX CPU's) , which is a lot of money, so I don't have the option to upgrade a CPU right now.

brianlmitchell

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I have that exact case. It's pretty good, I like it. And your GPU will be no where near in the way of any HDD or SATA drives. Also, a good place in the back to route cables through for increased air flow. My case runs very cool with an i5 2500k OC'd to 4.6 ghz, MSI 560 Ti 2GB (OC edition) and a Cougar 700W 80 plus silver.

Only concerns:
A lot of people on newegg report the fan controller being broke when they get the case, and it's a hassle trying to fix it. Didn't happen to me.

My case may run cooler than reported because I bought the additional (not included) 140mm NZXT top fan and 120mm bottom fan. These hook right up to the fan controller cables and it's worth the small investment in cooling IMO.

Solution

Daniel_M

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Thanks!
I'm also planning to add a 140mm fan at the top, so hopefully it will be cooler than I thought.
Anyone else ?

jraake

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007

Your system will only perform at the level of your lowest component. Your video card is basically running at 20mph when it could be zooming at 100mph. Getting the most out of your video card would require a CPU upgrade so it can keep up with the processing required to deliver the data to the GPU.

Building a system without a significant bottleneck requires a lot of research into the components you're buying and benchmark results. A lot of things can affect your bottleneck, including the resolution you play at and the specific game you play. If you need help picking a new CPU, don't be afraid to make a new post in the appropriate forum.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I have the NZXT H2 (white) for about one year now. I still love it.

Some things I like the most about the case are:
- cable management
- dust filter for all intake slots (front and bottom)
- white/black color scheme even on the inside <3
- capable of building a silent system
- easily detachable front fans for cleaning/replacing/fooling around

I recommend getting at least an additional 140mm top fan for additional airflow.

On a sidenote:
I modded my (black) PSU to have a blue LED 140mm fan inside (Prolimatech Blue Vortex - quiet, high airflow), with the top fan mesh also being black it looks awesome to have another one in the top. :)

The fan controller is working fine, even though I switch around quite a lot.

After about 6month I replaced all three NZXT 120mm case fans with Enermax T.B.Silence 120mm fans. NZXT ones were ok, but I wanted even quieter fans that can easily be cleaned (the Enermax fans have detachable fan blades).

Daniel_M

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

I see.
If I'll buy an older and weaker video card, will it perform better than the card I want? Because it won't be much stronger than the CPU? Or perhaps overclocking the CPU will help?
Edit- I'm playing games at a 1920x1080 resolution.

I have the NZXT H2 (white) for about one year now. I still love it.

Some things I like the most about the case are:
- cable management
- dust filter for all intake slots (front and bottom)
- white/black color scheme even on the inside <3
- capable of building a silent system
- easily detachable front fans for cleaning/replacing/fooling around

I recommend getting at least an additional 140mm top fan for additional airflow.

On a sidenote:
I modded my (black) PSU to have a blue LED 140mm fan inside (Prolimatech Blue Vortex - quiet, high airflow), with the top fan mesh also being black it looks awesome to have another one in the top. :)

The fan controller is working fine, even though I switch around quite a lot.

After about 6month I replaced all three NZXT 120mm case fans with Enermax T.B.Silence 120mm fans. NZXT ones were ok, but I wanted even quieter fans that can easily be cleaned (the Enermax fans have detachable fan blades).

THX.

jraake

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007

Downgrading your video card to match your CPU will not produce better performance than keeping your current under-utilized card.

Status
Not open for further replies.