Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Old case, new PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 14, 2011 1:58:38 AM

I just gutted an HP Pavillion 7850. Want to build a computer with the case. Noticed that there were no standoffs underneath the motherboard. Is this normal? Would I need standoffs if I were to put another motherboard?

More about : case

a c 92 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 14, 2011 3:34:22 AM

cpunoob77 said:
I just gutted an HP Pavillion 7850. Want to build a computer with the case. Noticed that there were no standoffs underneath the motherboard. Is this normal? Would I need standoffs if I were to put another motherboard?


I don't know if it's normal or not but I checked out the computer on Google images and it looks like it's entirely possible to do - it's all standard ATX equipment, I'm not sure if getting the motherboard secure would be a chore or not. Maybe you could post a picture of the inside of the case and we could take a look?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 14, 2011 3:57:20 AM

Sometimes the board is mounted on raised dimples with tapped holes instead of brass standoffs. if this is the case then as long as the old board has standard atx mounting points, and the new board has the same hole pattern it should work fine.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 14, 2011 4:13:53 AM

I've built new computers in old HP cases and never had an issue. Like bucknutty said, so long as it's got holes for mounting parts, you're good.
m
0
l
October 15, 2011 12:09:52 AM

Here's a pic of the case in question: " alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
0
l
October 15, 2011 12:10:38 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I don't know if it's normal or not but I checked out the computer on Google images and it looks like it's entirely possible to do - it's all standard ATX equipment, I'm not sure if getting the motherboard secure would be a chore or not. Maybe you could post a picture of the inside of the case and we could take a look?



Check it out:
m
0
l
October 15, 2011 12:16:04 AM

bucknutty said:
Sometimes the board is mounted on raised dimples with tapped holes instead of brass standoffs. if this is the case then as long as the old board has standard atx mounting points, and the new board has the same hole pattern it should work fine.



Is this what you're referring to?:
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2011 12:18:10 AM

Nice pic. That's a standard mini atx. Just make sure the mobo only has 4 expansion slots. The only other thing to look at is the power button connector and the status LEDs and the front usbs some times they are in one block connector that won't match your new board. Normally though as long as you get the power switch in the right place the board rest does not matter much
m
0
l
October 15, 2011 12:20:26 AM

dalauder said:
I've built new computers in old HP cases and never had an issue. Like bucknutty said, so long as it's got holes for mounting parts, you're good.



What would you suggest for this?: The original board was 9 L x 9.5 H inches, was thinking maybe this : Unsure if it would fit though.
m
0
l
October 15, 2011 12:29:25 AM

bucknutty said:
Nice pic. That's a standard mini atx. Just make sure the mobo only has 4 expansion slots. The only other thing to look at is the power button connector and the status LEDs and the front usbs some times they are in one block connector that won't match your new board. Normally though as long as you get the power switch in the right place the board rest does not matter much



I understand that wiring the front power button/LEDs will be another challenge and am already looking into how, but for now I have another question. Know of any PSU that would fit in the cramped space? Looking at about 6 inches wide x 3 inches high.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2011 11:40:46 PM

Info about an ATX case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Front Panel Pins usually go like this, but not always: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/im...
Only the Power on button actually matters much.

Cramped space...that's actually mounting for a standard ATX power supply. Just about anything but the specific model of the Antec CP-850 will fit. As far as brands, I stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, & XFX for recommendations. But here's a thorough list you can check out:http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Stay at tier 3 or higher, I'd recommend Tier 2 unless you're really on a budget. Then PSUs like the Corsair CX series are okay.
Here's why you don't get a PSU from just ANY manufacturer: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&fil...

As far as the motherboard...do you have ANY of the parts purchased yet? If not, just fill out this and we'll give you the best bang for your buck for a whole build: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
Also, the motherboard you linked was for an old Core 2 Duo build. There have been newer, better, processors out for a coulpe years. If you fill the link above out and give us your budget, you'll save the most money.

If you have an old DVD burner, you can just re-use that btw.
Share
October 17, 2011 5:36:35 AM

dalauder said:
Info about an ATX case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Front Panel Pins usually go like this, but not always: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/im...
Only the Power on button actually matters much.

Cramped space...that's actually mounting for a standard ATX power supply. Just about anything but the specific model of the Antec CP-850 will fit. As far as brands, I stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, & XFX for recommendations. But here's a thorough list you can check out:http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Stay at tier 3 or higher, I'd recommend Tier 2 unless you're really on a budget. Then PSUs like the Corsair CX series are okay.
Here's why you don't get a PSU from just ANY manufacturer: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&fil...

As far as the motherboard...do you have ANY of the parts purchased yet? If not, just fill out this and we'll give you the best bang for your buck for a whole build: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
Also, the motherboard you linked was for an old Core 2 Duo build. There have been newer, better, processors out for a coulpe years. If you fill the link above out and give us your budget, you'll save the most money.

If you have an old DVD burner, you can just re-use that btw.



Actually, I did already purchase the motherboard on a whim! As for the DVD and HDD, I have those covered. Guess I would just need a CPU, GPU and PSU. Maybe I should have waited before purchasing the mobo, it's just that I am eager to get this build started!





Approximate Purchase Date: 10/28

Budget Range: $200


System Usage from Most to Least Important: League of Legends, Internet, Basic Media

Parts Not Required: DVD drive, HDD, OS, Keyboard/Mouse, Monitor, Data cables


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, only because I have a gift certificate. Open to other suggestions.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Intel


Overclocking: No / Maybe?


SLI or Crossfire: No


Monitor Resolution: unsure


Additional Comments: thank you!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2011 6:03:20 AM

You could probably wait until November starts and save a ton of money in early Black Friday sales. Btw, is there a Micro Center near your house?

$200 for all those components is pretty tough. I sincerely hope you didn't buy the socket 775 Biostar motherboard you linked for Core 2 Duos. If you did, try to cancel the purchase because 3-4 year old computer tech isn't the best place to start for a new build.

If you absolutely cannot cancel the purchase or got a different board, let us know what it is and we'll see what we can do.

Corsair PSU's are 10% off until the 19th. You won't end up getting them much cheaper in November, so you can buy one of those if you want. But don't pull the trigger until we discuss the item you want.
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 6:43:31 AM

dalauder said:
You could probably wait until November starts and save a ton of money in early Black Friday sales. Btw, is there a Micro Center near your house?

$200 for all those components is pretty tough. I sincerely hope you didn't buy the socket 775 Biostar motherboard you linked for Core 2 Duos. If you did, try to cancel the purchase because 3-4 year old computer tech isn't the best place to start for a new build.

If you absolutely cannot cancel the purchase or got a different board, let us know what it is and we'll see what we can do.

Corsair PSU's are 10% off until the 19th. You won't end up getting them much cheaper in November, so you can buy one of those if you want. But don't pull the trigger until we discuss the item you want.




Don't know if there's a Micro Center in Los Angeles. I purchased the motherboard only because it's the only one that seemed to fit the dimensions (looking at about 9 x 9 inches). Gonna try to cancel the order, will let you know...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2011 7:12:13 AM

Any Micro ATX motherboard will fit. (According to the ATX wikipedia page, that's 244mm x 244mm or about 9.6" square.)

There's one in Tustin I went to when I was in LA: http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/tustin.html

At your budget, you really can't beat a $120 Phenom II x4 965BE w/ a free motherboard or $88 for a Phenom II x2 560BE w/ mobo: http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundl...
Some of those motherboards are better than others.

Then you pick up 4GB of DDR3 on Newegg for $25, a $20 (after rebate) Corsair CX430 on Newegg (10% off right now), and use integrated graphics for now.

You should be able to find something on the GTX 460 1GB level for $90 or so in November. Here's a list that ranks gaming cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-...
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 11:28:46 PM

dalauder said:
Any Micro ATX motherboard will fit. (According to the ATX wikipedia page, that's 244mm x 244mm or about 9.6" square.)

There's one in Tustin I went to when I was in LA: http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/tustin.html

At your budget, you really can't beat a $120 Phenom II x4 965BE w/ a free motherboard or $88 for a Phenom II x2 560BE w/ mobo: http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundl...
Some of those motherboards are better than others.

Then you pick up 4GB of DDR3 on Newegg for $25, a $20 (after rebate) Corsair CX430 on Newegg (10% off right now), and use integrated graphics for now.

You should be able to find something on the GTX 460 1GB level for $90 or so in November. Here's a list that ranks gaming cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-...


Still waiting on that cancellation request to clear but I'd like to thank you for all the great information and feedback, you're the man! Definitely going to check out my local Micro Center...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2011 12:20:53 AM

One thing to know about Micro Center--they have a free frequent customer program. If you sign up for the program (comes with a free 4GB flash stick) and make a purchase, you'll get a 5% off coupon for your next purchase within 7 days. So check out Micro Center, sign-up, buy some chewing gum and get your 5% off, then go back when you're ready to buy parts.

They have a 30-day price guarantee (at least for CPUs), so you don't have to be too worried about them dropping prices next month. Talk to their reps though about the details on that (I've never used it).
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 9:00:32 PM

Best answer selected by cpunoob77.
m
0
l
!