New PSU results in smoking HD!

ensenfal

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
The power supply on one of my computers was in its death throes so I bought a Seasonic M12II 620W to replace it (the old PSU was 620W as well). After plugging everything in and starting it up, the hard drive connector starting smoking! I flipped the power switch within a couple of seconds but it smells quite heavily of burned rubber.

It's a SATA power cable, the color of the rails from the L-shaped edge out are orange, black, red, black and yellow. The power supply side is a 5-pin connector (5 pins in a row).

I haven't dared try it with a new cable in a new port yet, what are the other possible causes of this? Also, how likely is it I've fried the HD?

Thanks.

jraake

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Electricity doesn't cause enough heat to burn things unless you have a very low amount of resistance, which is usually a short. It sounds like someone got some wires crossed and the voltage is going straight to ground. I would guess your power supply is bad, unless you happen to have metal shavings in your hard drive port. Your hard drive might be fine, but I wouldn't hook it up with that same power supply.

ensenfal

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Okay using a different cable in a different port hasn't resulted in any malfunctions, and luckily my HD is okay! There are more than enough connectors on the PSU to suit my needs, so as long as it's safe to use I don't think I'll find a replacement. The question is, is it safe to use?