Sign in with
Your question

Severe Stuttering

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2011 2:14:20 AM

My computer is having stuttering issues, and all the suggestions on other threads have failed to work for me.

I installed new memory on my computer and it has been running fine for several weeks now. However, lately it randomly will have severe stuttering issues where I cannot click on anything, sometimes for 10 minutes plus (usually a minute or two), and every single program will not respond. Often this happens over and over again with around 10 seconds between each occurrence, and sometimes, like now, it will be fine for hours/days. When I reboot in this condition, often Windows will freeze during load.

All my games play fine, and it will stutter when I am just doing simple things like watching a movie, searching for something, or even just typing; so it does not seem to be linked to performance. No component is getting above 45 degrees C, so overheating seems unlikely. I have checked the connections half-a-dozen times and believe they are fine. All my drivers should also be up to date, but I will probably check again.

My speculation is that it is either a Window 7 64 bit issue, or my hard-drive (which is about four years old), but any input would be helpful before I make a commitment, probably for a new hard drive; although I am using "Hard Drive Inspector," which suggests nothing is wrong.

Any feedback would be appreciated; specs are below.

Thank you for your time, and let me know if I may provide any additional information.

-Ryan

aitek PZ30AU Black USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard
Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse
LITE-ON LightScribe Black 20X DVD±R Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write Black IDE Model LH-20A1H-186 - Retail

Logitech X-230 32 watts RMS 2.1 Black Speaker System – OEM
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD7 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL9D-4GBXLD

Windows 7 64 bit, Home Premium

More about : severe stuttering

a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2011 2:29:18 AM

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

Well, it's my unprofessional opinion that you definitely have a software issue. While it could be the hard drive, I suspect it isn't based on the fact that it seems to happen at random. Have you checked the ram? And just in case it is some hardware issue, I suggest you breadboard your machine before testing. Make a few sweeps with memtest86, and maybe run linux off a live CD. The latter is unprofessional and un-scientific, but it's what I would do, to eliminate the OS.

Check out this guide, covers some of the things i'm talking about:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.ht...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :/ 
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2011 2:53:03 AM

I would try a format and reinstall on the HDD

if it continues then its definitely an HDD problem , if not it was a software problem yu dont have any more
Related resources
October 14, 2011 3:59:22 PM

Memory seems to be fine as I swapped in and out about every combination.

I want to avoid re-formatting but to your point it seems like the only option so I did that last night...so far no issues, but as I said it can go days with seeing nothing, so we will see what happens. Hopefully, it was an OS error.

Thanks again for the advice, it is much appreciated.
October 23, 2011 5:04:58 AM

Just wanted to post an update, incase someone else winds up in this hell:

After reformatting my computer it worked fine for a few days, then the same issues arose. I replaced the harddrive and that worked fine for about a week, then the same problems came back. I retested all my RAM with memtest86 and another program, additionally I swapped them each out, and the same problem eventually occurred.

My computer now randumbly blue screens and will tell me, "Disk read error" sometimes upon restart.

I am assuming it must be an interaction problem, and some components are not getting along with each other, or possibly getting along with windows...but then I do not think I would get the "disk read error." Either an interaction, or the motherboard is struggling; which is sad as it is relatively new...and I hate reinstalling the motherboard, as getting intel cpu chips back into place is a skill in which I leave a lot to be desired.

I will check all my connections again, and appreciate any additional thoughts people may have; and I feel sorry for you if you came here because you had similar symptoms.
October 23, 2011 7:39:01 AM

Ok,

Are your settings in the bois at default. Gigabyte is one step ahead when setting voltages I.E. what the standard is for other P67 mainboards is a little two low of voltage for gigabyte mainboards not all the voltages but cpu voltage might be the issue. Southbridge(ICH) voltage being jacked up hell o high might do it to( causing a blue screen freeze). updating to the latest bois would help. Revert back to the older bois if your having problems and have the new bois installed for the mainboard.
When I said gigabyte voltage needs to be bumped up I mean by like a step. Pci express voltage is also a deal even though you are not overclocking you pci express lanes if you have a pci voltage ajustment go up on that about .080 of what it currently is. Set the memory your not gonna get exactly what the memory says it can do on the memory stick itself all the time; try downclocking that. If you have a memory section in your bois go into that and ajust the stepping. Gigabyte is one of the few mainboard company's that have the ability to ajust the command rate for the memory stepping to 3 where as most others only go to a command rate of 2. If you have this ajustment in your memory profile catagory in your bois then change that to 3.
October 23, 2011 3:01:35 PM

I adjusted the command rate to 3, and changed the memory timing to the 9-11-9-28...it was at 9-9-9-24.

The CPU is at 1.270 volts
the RAM is at 1.500 volts and running to 1333

I will have to read up to understand what good voltage settings may be.

Thanks for the suggestion.
October 23, 2011 5:49:29 PM

not to say do it! but everybody run hot setups these days are runnin the 9-10-9-27 with the command rate at three now mabey you could try this. Another thing is bumping the voltage lanes themselves. I don't know if this would offer stability,
try to bump the two outside lanes A and C up to .78 where standard is .75 if you have a setting that allows this then try that I gives a consistant performance boost in regular benchmarking. In the A and C lanes there are two different settings for each. You want to adjust the top setting for A and top setting for C leaving the lower of the two alone.
October 23, 2011 6:09:34 PM

Trying to picture your system!? The main thing is to look on the memory stick you have itself and find the required voltage. p67 type processor should be able to handle all the way up to 1.72 volts I would not try this unless you have real water cooling not like a corsair out of the box setup, but you should be able to go to about 1.68volts on the memory. I really can't offer any more advice being that it would be shotty at best. Just remember that gigabyte is known for bringing any type of memory to life because of the functionability of the memory area on their mainboards.
November 15, 2011 3:51:57 PM

Just an update:

I adjusted the voltage settings in the BIOS and have had no issues for two to three weeks. However, last night I had the blue screen, and when it restarted it could not detect the OS. So it seems the same issue is happening again, and everytime I update the voltage it seems to stave it off for awhile.

Possibly, something overheated as I had left it running for awhile, but it seems unlikely.

I will probably try to take out two memory slots and see how it does, as last time I ran it one by one, I ran them one after the other, and the way the issue seems to be, is once it happens it keeps happening, until I adjust some BIOS setting. It seems more likely that it is a motherboard issue...or some compatiability issue, but I will try to re-isolate the problem being a bad stick again.

Thanks again for all the advice. I thought possibly uping the voltage on the memory fixed the problem until last night; and let me know if I can provide any information, or screen shots if that would help.
November 19, 2011 8:45:30 PM

Possibly fixed...I had no idea a bad PSU could cause all these symptoms, but placing in the old unit seems to have fixed all these issues. I will have to order a new one as the old one will get stressed out quickly, I would imagine.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help, and I will post a follow-up to confirm or deny this, as I could just have a lucky run at the moment.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2011 1:42:34 AM

It's quite possible it was a bad PSU. Bad luck on that X650, usually Seasonic's are quite reliable.
November 22, 2011 4:19:26 PM

Thanks Striker for the confirmation. I will probably wait another week or two just to be sure it is the PSU; then I will order a new 650W PSU. Per your comment maybe I will try Seasonic again...probably whatever has a high rating on newegg.

!