Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Build #2 Bulldozer $600

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 14, 2011 2:28:18 AM

So far I have these parts:

AMD Bulldozer FX-8120 ~$220
ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ Motherboard ~$140 New: ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 ~$100
8GB Corsair 1600mhz ddr3 ram ~$50
Cooler Master RC310 Case ~$40
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W PSU ~$45 or $35 after rebate
no dvd drive
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s ~$45

total w/o graphics card ~$540 with rebates Now $610 including the GPU
XFX HD-679X-ZRFC Radeon HD 6790 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 ~$110 (will more then suffice)


Now, without touching the Bulldozer (no intel trolls please) could somebody please give me some advice on how to squeeze the best video card into this build, I have an Apple Cinema HD display @ 1920 by 1200.

Thanks in advance!

More about : build bulldozer 600

October 14, 2011 2:39:43 AM

Sure , no problem

Use an FX 4100 quad core

which then gives you nearly $200 to spend on a graphics card
probably a 6870
and a psu that wont blow up

EDIT : and if you were willing to use a motherboard with a970 series chipset you can afford a 6950 . Maybe
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 2:40:40 AM

I would suggest an AMD card. I like the idea of synergy, and I think that all AMD parts (CPU, chipset, VGA) would be very very nice.
Since I'm a nvidia guy I can't recommend any AMD card right now. But how much u can spend in a VGA? It's only 60 dollars?
m
0
l
Related resources
October 14, 2011 2:51:45 AM

vitornob said:
I would suggest an AMD card. I like the idea of synergy, and I think that all AMD parts (CPU, chipset, VGA) would be very very nice.
Since I'm a nvidia guy I can't recommend any AMD card right now. But how much u can spend in a VGA? It's only 60 dollars?



What I think I might do is cut the motherboard down to 970 or 990x as I'm not running crossfires or sli. that could save me 30 or so dollars and let me buy about $100 graphics card, I don't do gaming too much and when I do I play L4D2, Minecraft (intel integrated runs great lol), COD BO, SUPCOM 2, and I'm interested in battlefield 3. Is the PSU that bad?
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 3:02:04 AM

Games are not that multi threaded that they can use 8 cores .
Or even 6

And gaming performance is dependent on the graphics card
http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx-8150--8120-6100-an...

Farcry 2 every processor exceeds the monitors 60Hz/ 60 FPS even at 1080p

Crysis 2 the range is frame rates from the slowest to strongest cpu is 2 fps at 1080p.
This is a difference you would never notice

get an octo core for gaming ?
No



spend the money you save on the cpu on a better graphics card
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 3:22:43 AM

I for one vote for grabbing a Phenom II x4 955. But then again, it doesn't have the overclockability of the FX line.
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 3:25:38 AM

striker410 said:
I for one vote for grabbing a Phenom II x4 955. But then again, it doesn't have the overclockability of the FX line.

a quad core bulldozer would probably be best, cause it's cheaper, and won't really make a huge difference in gaming compared to a hex-core or octa-core
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 3:35:49 AM

striker410 said:
I for one vote for grabbing a Phenom II x4 955. But then again, it doesn't have the overclockability of the FX line.



Im hanging out to see a head to head comparison of these two
Stock ,and over clocked
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 3:40:30 AM

I just did a build with a 955be (my first build, great processor) and you guys have the right idea but I do alot of heavy file transfers and I host a game server or 2 and I really would like a powerhouse processor like the fx-8120. The 6790 should be more then enough if I can be happy with a 6750 like my last build. I guess my last question is that if you had $110 dollars to spend on a gpu what would you get. I upgraded the psu btw to a 600w 80plus ocz.
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 3:45:40 AM

icracked said:
I just did a build with a 955be (my first build, great processor) and you guys have the right idea but I do alot of heavy file transfers and I host a game server or 2 and I really would like a powerhouse processor like the fx-8120. The 6790 should be more then enough if I can be happy with a 6750 like my last build. I guess my last question is that if you had $110 dollars to spend on a gpu what would you get. I upgraded the psu btw to a 600w 80plus ocz.

i'd wait until I had more cash for a gpu, or freed up some money by going for cheaper components in the rest of my build, but that's just me, personally.
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 3:57:56 AM

Why are you even getting Bulldozer? Have you looked at the benchmarks? A Thuban is better than a 8xxx FX processor. Even the Phenom II outshines it. Get a 955 or a 960T and unlock it.
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 4:19:03 AM

des74 said:
Why are you even getting Bulldozer? Have you looked at the benchmarks? A Thuban is better than a 8xxx FX processor. Even the Phenom II outshines it. Get a 955 or a 960T and unlock it.

The thubans are not better. I have seen both the early and recent benchmarks. Don't want to start an argument.
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 8:43:34 AM

lol blacks ops emblem
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 11:57:27 AM

I'm surprised bo one has mentioned that awful Raidmax PSU!

with a 6790, you don't need 600W. Get the Corsair CX 430w for $44.99.


My other suggestion is to try a FX-6100, and HD 6850
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 12:36:51 PM

swifty_morgan said:
2413876,5,367555 said:
Games are not that multi threaded that they can use 8 cores .
Or even 6


http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx-8150--8120-6100-an...
said:


Im not sure what your saying? do you think that you need a four core as that reviews shows or you don't because the 4100 holds up well. I wonder what the other 4 cores will be like if that one is only like $120. isn't it?
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 1:06:24 PM

you stated that games aren't multi threaded and don't need more than 4 cores. this proves it isn't so. you have one older game and one newer game that take advantage of such.
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 1:52:56 PM

I have to be honest, I'm disappointed by the lack of advantage with gaming because in the past it's what I expected most from AMD. They did however get the APU right and i think it's a winner. Now to get them to put it together with a faster processor and a better graphics chip....
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 2:35:53 PM

swifty_morgan said:
I have to be honest, I'm disappointed by the lack of advantage with gaming because in the past it's what I expected most from AMD. They did however get the APU right and i think it's a winner. Now to get them to put it together with a faster processor and a better graphics chip....

very true, cause while llano is great for entry-level gaming, it really isn't going to cut it for the higher end gaming builds
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 3:18:19 PM

llano is best at a 6670 or weaker card, except the odd fish of the Athlon II X4 631.. which is a 2.6 Llano with the 6530D disabled.
m
0
l
!