Problem with adding hardware

Hi!
Can you explain me such problem:
Windows XP work fine, but when I try open "ADD HARDWARE"
service, I receive message, what it is possible to add
only one device at any moment and now adding of hardware
in progress, so stop it before adding new hardware. But
there is no any message about adding hardware. There I can
find info about what is adding and how stop it??

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:53:15 -0700, "Anatoly"

>Hi!
>Can you explain me such problem:
>Windows XP work fine, but when I try open "ADD HARDWARE"
>service, I receive message, what it is possible to add
>only one device at any moment and now adding of hardware
>in progress, so stop it before adding new hardware. But
>there is no any message about adding hardware. There I can
>find info about what is adding and how stop it??

I think the gist of what you're saying is that if you try the Add
Hardware command from Control Panel, you are being told there is
already hardware being added. Could it be that whatever hardware you
have is plug-n-play and that Windows is in the middle of adding it?

Windows XP is notorious for adding detected hardware without your
intervention, even if you don't want it to use its own drivers, or
even to install it at all. Try to wait a while and see if the hardware
eventually gets added on its own (should not take more than about 1-5
minutes). If it does, you can test it and upgrade the drivers if
necessary.

HTH

---Atreju---