Sign in with
Your question

Dell XPS 8300 PSU upgrade.....went terribly wrong, terribly..no sound!

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2011 2:41:19 AM

To all -

My first post in this forum, but I've been around the block a few times building my own machines (and for others), but a month ago i ended up springing for a dell xps 8300 desktop b.c i got a great deal on a scratch and dent system with an i7-2600 processor, 1.5tb drive, and an ATI 5770 1gb graphics card.

So long story short I've added one component and upgraded one existing component. The first was adding an SSD drive to the mix, which worked out wonderfully (i boot from power off to desktop in 13 seconds). Very pleased.

The second seemed to be just as successful...I replaced the stock PSU (460watts) with an Antec 650watt continuous power PSU (certified and all). Reconnected all the cables, crossed my fingers, turned on the power supply...got the green light on the motherboard so turned on the computer and all was fantastic!!!

The catch is..........I didn't notice until hours later i'd not heard a sound from the computer in quite some time. Tested by playing a few songs and nothing.

Here's where i got lost. In the "playback devices" (right clicking on the audio icon in the task manager tray) it shows the music playing (as in the levels are bouncing up and down). First thought - i'm an idiot and plugged my speakers into the wrong hole.....not the case. Second thought - speakers could be toast - not the case. Tested speakers on mp3 player and tested the audio cable by plugging headphones in the front audio ports (the xps 8300 has the rear audio and a mic and headphone jack on the top of the casing). Still showing the sound as registering, tells me when i've unplugged a the speaker cable or plugged it back in...........but i'm not getting any sound.

So did the usual. Reassembled everything to make sure all connections were secure (twice). Reinstalled all audio drivers. Even got out the OLD psu and plugged that in to see if magically the audio would work and it did not.

My thinking is that i bumped/banged something when removing the PSU and installing the new one as the audio worked before but not after. Remember seeing something bent slightly on the MB (a tic-tac size black and white cylindrical object standing straight up) and just moving it back to a 90 degree angle....but something tells me that is my problem.

Anyone know how to test and see if i've damaged the motherboard or if it's possibly some other unrelated problem? I'm thinking of stopping by my local best buy and buying a $25 usb external sound card to test it out tomorrow.....any idea in the meantime? I just can't come to any other conclusion than i nixed something removing the PSU....i mean the audio worked fine before and stopped working after and now i see the audio playing and the playback levels jumping up and down in my volume tray but no actual sound......

I *think* my specs are listed below, but i'm running win7 ultimate x64, i7-2600 processor, 1.5TB HDD + 128 SSD, 650 PSU, 8gb RAM (checked to make sure all modules were seated correctly already), and have a ATI 5770 graphics card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Mark

PS - attempting to attach a screenshot....not sure if it will work
October 14, 2011 3:14:15 AM

two stupid ideas

one, check to see if the master volume in the tray has been muted

two, in control panel sound properties, check to see if the sound "card" is the default device....... my 5770 on occasion likes to go behind my back and make itself the default device
m
l
October 14, 2011 3:35:23 AM

not silly at all.....

i did check and i've got my speakers set as the audio device (other option is the HDMI sound which I've disabled)...

and i've been playing with the mute and unmute buttons on everything thus far but not getting anything working and always reset to the default settings afterwards...

but thank you for the help!!
m
l
October 14, 2011 4:33:37 AM

attached a screenshot to the original post to better understand what is going on.....hope this helps anyone attempting to help me!

cheers!
m
l
!