Question about ram

ok so ive upgraded from 2 2 gig sticks of ram to, 2 4 gig sticks of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600, the 2 2 gig sticks are the exact same model, just in a smaller size, so my buddy told me that just using the 2 4 gig sticks in dual channel will be faster then using the additional 2 gig sticks i had before (putting me to a total of 12 gigs instead of 8), and to just leave those out. Just wanted to confirm, as I personally have no damn idea. thanks for any help you can provide!
7 answers Last reply
More about question
  1. guess i should also mention this is for gaming, which he said is the reason why itd be faster for the 8 instead of the 12
  2. Dual channel mode is faster than single channel mode. Running 8GB gets you dual channel mode. Running 12GB gets you single channel mode. You do the math.
  3. sorry, not very knowledgeable on the subject...so does running 8 gb get you effectively 16gb or something? cause if not i would think that dual channel would have to be quite a bit faster then single channel to make 8 better than 12.
  4. The improvement of dual channel over single channel is inceremental. It's not lile, double as fast as single channel.
  5. ok... so explain it like im an idiot (which when it comes to this i am) is the 12 gigs faster then?
  6. Depends if they can work together with good settings like DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.50V or DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

As long as you have two modules installed in the initial slots for dual channel, the system will operate as dual channel. So whether you use 2, 3, or 4 modules in your computer, it will still be dual channel. But since the memory is not identical, nor from the same batch/package, they are not guaranteed to work together in a single computer. That is the only part you have to test to find out.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
  7. gskill support said:
    Depends if they can work together with good settings like DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.50V or DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

As long as you have two modules installed in the initial slots for dual channel, the system will operate as dual channel. So whether you use 2, 3, or 4 modules in your computer, it will still be dual channel. But since the memory is not identical, nor from the same batch/package, they are not guaranteed to work together in a single computer. That is the only part you have to test to find out.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

ahh gotcha, thankya very much!
Ask a new question

Read More

G.SKILL DDR3 RAM Memory