Crazy High-End Build

Approximate Purchase Date: By Nov or Dec of this year.
Budget Range: 2k and up
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming for 3+ monitors
Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, OS, monitors, BUT I will be buying all of these at a later point
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever has the best price
Country of Origin: The States
Parts Preferences: Intel & Nvidia
Overclocking: For sure
SLI or Crossfire: Nope, but maybe in the future
Monitor Resolution: 3x1920x1080 OR 3x2560x1600


i7 2600k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

Scythe Ninja 3 SCNJ-3000 120mm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185147&Tpk=ninja

EVGA GTX 590 3kMB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130693

ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Z68 PCIe3.0 1x16x 2x16x@8x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157264

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB SDRAM DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

128GB OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

2TB 7200 RPM 64MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792

Xigmatek Elysium Silver CCC-HSA0DS-U02 Super Full
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815012

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ?4x6-Pin, 4x6+2-Pin? [Is this 4 in total, or 8 in total, 4 each...?]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171056

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Additional Comments: For the MB, I must have PCIe3.0 and I would prefer dual 16x slots, but I won't go to the 1366 socket for that. For the case, I am more then willing to drop a bit on for awesomeness. :D Any good suggestions for RAM? Is there any PCIe3.0 boards going with triple channel right now? CPU cooling, I can't decide on this one. Nice Heatsink or water cooling, does the h100 really out preform the h80? Should I go with a better fan heatsink?

Second options:
COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

CORSAIR H80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181016

Cooler Master HAF RC-942-KKAA00 + 1000w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119234

ASROCK z68 Pro Gen3 PCIe3.0 1x16x 2x16x@x8 4xSata6.0 4xSata3.0 dual channel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263

Closing Note: I will be only going for Intel and Nvidia on this build, and I am going for a single card setup for the triple monitors. I will be gaming with triple monitors and I have had issues with performance in the past with the high resolution. I am using 8gigs ddr3 on current build, and it's not cutting. I am getting bottleneck at everything pretty much. I am hoping on getting OK performance with this build, if anyone can give me a ballpark of a what to except in fps and quality setting, that would be awesome.
16 answers Last reply
More about crazy high build
  1. How much juice you need to run games is heavily dependant on the games you play.

    If you really want to get everything out of the the experience and also use AA in the games, you need to be looking at multiple 3GB GTX580's.
    I would say that if you intend to go with 3x 2560x1600 you should arm the PC with Tri-SLI, which of course means spending about 1800 just for the 3 graphics cards.

    However going with the 3x 1920x1080 a somewhat more modest setup will do. Even then if you plan on using AA I would recommend SLI with 3GB GTX580's.
    MSI GTX580 Lightning Extreme 3GB $599 each

    Otherwise you are on the right track:

    CPU: i7 2600k $320
    CPU cooler: A good air cooler or the closed loop like you listed $50-80
    Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen3 $280 (or the one you listed)
    Memory: 2x4GB 1.5V CAS9 1600Mhz - one of two kits, $50 per kit
    GPU: 2x GTX580 Lightning Extreme $599 each
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 or one of the higher end Patriot Wildfire's $180-250
    HDD: Samsung Spintpoint F3 1TB or whatever storage drive you prefer
    Case: Well up to preference, but in the $220 price range you had above you can find nice ones.
    Almost enough for one of my favorites Silverstone Fortress FT02.
    PSU: Corsair AX1200, Seasonic 1000W Platinum etc high quality 1000W+, 1200+ for tri-SLI $230+
    Optical: Whichever you prefer, bluray or DVD burner. $20-100
  2. If I go down the route of sli or trip-sli, I won't get the bandwidth needed for even 3x1080p monitors, because your mb and mine both does not offer dual or even triple slots at 16x. What should I do for that then?
  3. You need to use socket 2011 for what you want.
  4. Generally 8x pcie is enough for the cards, however if you want to go with 16x's as said above socket 2011 will be the way to go.
  5. Isn't the 2011 suppose to come early next year, and a good chipset won't come til a lot later, right? I am looking to get this before the end of the year, though.
  6. But then 8x is quite sufficient to run a GTX580. In tests the difference in speed between 8x and 16x has been less than 3%.
  7. I thought it was about -10% to run trip 1080p monitors and then at 2560x1600.... ya...
  8. I would look this combo...

    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

    bundled with:

    ASUS MARS II/2DIS/3GD5 GeForce GTX 580 x2 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit x2 GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121470
  9. michxymi said:
    I would look this combo...

    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

    bundled with:

    ASUS MARS II/2DIS/3GD5 GeForce GTX 580 x2 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit x2 GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121470

    why would you get the asus mars card? you could get tri-sli of 580s for that much.
  10. morgoth780 said:
    why would you get the asus mars card? you could get tri-sli of 580s for that much.


    No reason to go for a 3 way SLI....the third GPU will just sit there and produce heat and noise instead of actually benefit him...Mars is a limited edition card (who doesn't want to have something special?) and also better than SLI 580's
  11. michxymi said:
    No reason to go for a 3 way SLI....the third GPU will just sit there and produce heat and noise instead of actually benefit him...Mars is a limited edition card (who doesn't want to have something special?) and also better than SLI 580's

    true, but it has terrible price/performance, especially compared to a 590.
  12. Socket 2011 will be out mid Novenber (14th?), but I wouldn't wait. You would be better off getting a z68 board now with pcie 3. Next year when you want to SLI, sell your 590 and replace it with a 6XX or 7XXX card, possibly in xfire/sli. The 28nm cards should be a big step up, at least in terms of performance/watt.
  13. morgoth780 said:
    true, but it has terrible price/performance, especially compared to a 590.


    GTX 590 isn't that good compared to other dual GPU solutions....For me If he doesn't want to take the Mars it's way better to get a 6990
  14. etk said:
    Socket 2011 will be out mid Novenber (14th?), but I wouldn't wait. You would be better off getting a z68 board now with pcie 3. Next year when you want to SLI, sell your 590 and replace it with a 6XX or 7XXX card, possibly in xfire/sli. The 28nm cards should be a big step up, at least in terms of performance/watt.

    don't even buy a 590, get a lower-end card, like a 570 or even a 560ti
  15. michxymi said:
    GTX 590 isn't that good compared to other dual GPU solutions....For me If he doesn't want to take the Mars it's way better to get a 6990

    i'm against the purchase of both of those cards, a 570 or 6970 would be a better choice, especially when planning to upgrade to the next-gen chips
  16. morgoth780 said:
    i'm against the purchase of both of those cards, a 570 or 6970 would be a better choice, especially when planning to upgrade to the next-gen chips


    Sure...I'm also against dual GPU cards and generally crazy rigs but if he wants to buy something like this, that's the best option...a 1500$ machine is more than enough and he can keep money for future upgrades
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product