Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Core Temps? or CPU Temp?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 1:04:19 AM

Hello,

I recently bought a FX-8120 and have a stable overclock of 4.2GHz, while stress testing my OC I have been monitoring temps by using HW Monitor. While using Prime95 HW monitor showed that my core temps were reaching a maximum of 37degrees, however the motherboard readings that HW monitor also displays showed my CPU temp at a maximum of 51degrees. Which temperature should I concern myself with? and why is there such a discrepancy between the two measurements?

I am using a Antec Kuhler 920 to cool my CPU and I'm using a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX board. Oh and it should be noted that AMD overdrive also shows the same information as HWmonitor with my core temps being significantly lower than my CPU temp. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rage33

More about : core temps cpu temp

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 1:22:14 AM

You should read the 51c. If 2 apps are giving you that, it is likely right. There is probably an issue with the app calculating the t-case on the proc. 51c is still a safe, good temp. especially if you are at 100% load for an extended time.

CPU temp is usually a measured average (mean) of temps. There is probably a difference in "core" tempuratures and the 51c may be core 1 and 37 would be core 2. There will likely NOT be this drastic of temp. variation betwen cores but, it's not uncommone (at all) for all cores being different temps. (Core 0 is usually the highest due to many apps. only utilizing one core).

Also, any chance of some screenshots just so we can take a peek and be sure we fully see/understand what you're looking at?
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 1:31:37 AM

Good Copy that was what I was thinking as well, correct me if I'm wrong but the 8120's max "safe" temp is 61degrees? When I can get back to my computer I'll post some screenshots for you guys to look at. Thanks again!
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 4:50:56 AM

I would actually imagine it's higher than that yet. I'm not sure what Tcase/Tj-case on that would be but I would bet probably closer to 65c. That would make "safe" temps up to ~60c. Safe may be a strong word for that proc. running at 60c but, it probably wouldn't be a HUGE detriment to the proc. Tcase looks to be 61c on it based on the AMD technical specs.

AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition
Score
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 9:54:13 AM

puttsy said:
I would actually imagine it's higher than that yet. I'm not sure what Tcase/Tj-case on that would be but I would bet probably closer to 65c. That would make "safe" temps up to ~60c. Safe may be a strong word for that proc. running at 60c but, it probably wouldn't be a HUGE detriment to the proc. Tcase looks to be 61c on it based on the AMD technical specs.

AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition

Sweet thanks! You think I should try repositioning my radiator or use a different thermal paste, I have some MX-2 but I was lazy and just used the stock paste that antec applied to the cooler.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Score
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 9:57:09 AM

this one is a little bit bigger
Score
a c 82 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2012 9:58:56 AM

puttsy said:
CPU temp is usually a measured average (mean) of temps. There is probably a difference in "core" tempuratures and the 51c may be core 1 and 37 would be core 2. There will likely NOT be this drastic of temp. variation betwen cores but, it's not uncommone (at all) for all cores being different temps. (Core 0 is usually the highest due to many apps. only utilizing one core).

No its not, CPU temp is the package temp, core temp is the temp of the individual cores.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 11:16:57 AM

But you agree the temp that I need to monitor more is the actual CPU temp and not core temp?
Score
a c 82 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2012 11:24:44 AM

that depends on what you target is, the package has a different limit to the core for instance.
http://products.amd.com/pages/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=...
Given the lack of differentiation in this document I'd say that the highest should be used as the limit.
61 is a very tight limit.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 11:40:17 AM

I see, I'm actually pretty satisfied with the overall temps at 4.2GHz. If I cranked the fans all the way up temps would come down too. I just don't care for the noise. Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 11:41:16 AM

Best answer selected by Rage33.
Score
a c 82 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2012 11:43:06 AM

so you've selected a best answer that is factually highly innaccuate. I don't want best answer, but please don't encourage people who are just plain wrong.
Score
!