• G.SKILL
  • Safe Mode
  • Computer
  • Memory
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
November 10, 2012 11:12:52 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have an issue I was hoping someone could help me resolve.
I just upgraded the RAM for my mother board.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

When I add both the sticks in the computer will boot up but after the initial run and the bios menu etc. it will say Windows could not start/error, start in _____ mode? ( and it gives me safe mode, safe mode with networking and etc as the options) even if I select safe mode there is a blue screen for a split second and the computer restarts and again will give me the error with the boot up options.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

HOWEVER, when I add just 1 stick of the ram (2gb) the computer runs just fine. In fact even with the 2 sticks added, in the initial start up I can see that the memory is recognized and I see Memory check OK, just wont start Windows (Vista 64).

Thank you all for looking and all your time and help!

More about : computer booting

a b } Memory
November 10, 2012 11:18:56 PM

Hi, Try firstly clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS batery for few minutes), insert both RAMs and see if still the same.
m
l
a c 115 } Memory
November 12, 2012 3:51:03 PM

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

Did you test the other module to see if it is stable? If both modules are stable individually, they should work fine together.

You can also run memory diagnostics test like memtest86+ v4.20 to make sure the modules are error free.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2012 5:16:10 PM

Hi,

I did plug them in one at a time, only when they are put in together does the error occur. One at a time, the computer boots up just fine. Could you give me more details about how to run the diagnostic you're referring to?
Thank you!

gskill support said:
Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

Did you test the other module to see if it is stable? If both modules are stable individually, they should work fine together.

You can also run memory diagnostics test like memtest86+ v4.20 to make sure the modules are error free.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

m
l
November 12, 2012 5:17:24 PM

Hey,

I cleared the cmos and I will make sure I have the latest Bios and will see if that works but with just CMOS cleared, problem still occurred.

Thanks again!

alexoiu said:
Hi, Try firstly clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS batery for few minutes), insert both RAMs and see if still the same.

m
l
a b } Memory
November 12, 2012 5:41:24 PM

If updating the BIOS doesn't work, try increasing in BIOS the DDR2 Overvoltage Control with 0.1V
m
l
a c 115 } Memory
November 13, 2012 4:10:33 PM

Which slots do you have them installed in? Did you try both sets of same color slots?

Was there a set of memory working in the system previously?

If both modules work individually, they should work fine together, so it's strange.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

m
l
November 20, 2012 1:24:15 AM

I took out the battery to clear the cmos. How do I install the bios now? Because windows is still not booting up I don't have a floppy drive
Installed yet. And how do I raise the ddr2 voltage by 1 in the bios? Thank you all for the help everyone!

gskill support said:
Which slots do you have them installed in? Did you try both sets of same color slots?

Was there a set of memory working in the system previously?

If both modules work individually, they should work fine together, so it's strange.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

m
l
a c 115 } Memory
November 20, 2012 3:21:59 PM

There should be a DRAM Voltage or DRAM Bus Voltage option in BIOS that you can increase to 1.90V.

If that does not solve the problem, send them in for RMA and a replacement should work better.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

m
l
!