Sign in with
Your question

New CCC Super low current values?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2011 6:09:37 AM

After having troubles with one of my graphics cards, I decided to try out my old XFX 4870. About a year ago, that card would idle with a 70% fan speed at 104 degrees C. But now for some reason it works perfectly. Anyway I upgraded to the newest CCC (Now AMD Vision or whatever) and now it shows me what I set the clocks to (775Mhz GPU, 950Mhz Memory) but under that, it shows the current values to be at 200mhz GPU and 500mhz memory. Why is it like that? Are the clocks really that low or is it just showing that in error?
a c 194 U Graphics card
August 14, 2011 6:12:59 AM

If you are using a single screen and are not running any graphically intensive applications the GPU clock and memory clock drop down to "2D clock speeds", its similar to speedstep and Cool'n'Quiet on CPUs, it just drops the speed wayyy down when the higher speed isnt needed to reduce temps, as soon as you need the higher speed it will clock back up.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2011 3:49:50 PM

It's called a power saving feature. Your 3d graphics card doesn't need to run at 775/950 while your checking email.
m
l
August 18, 2011 10:25:16 AM

I thought at one point that the low clocks were harmful to the card. Infact, when the clocks are this low, my 2nd monitor flickers and distorts every few seconds, but if I open a game, and ever minimize it, the flickering stops.
m
l
!