260GTX SLI vs 560GTX Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Limitz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my current rig which is currently running an old 260GTX@1080p and I'm trying to do some research for my situation.
I'd like some advice whether it is better to just replace my old card with a 560GTX Ti or purchase a second 260GTX and SLI my current set up for a fraction of the cost.
It's hard to find some charts to compare these two since they're a few generations apart and the benchmarks that most reviewers used were different a couple years ago.

I mostly do some high end gaming(Civ5 currently, waiting for BF3) and I do some 3D modelling/rendering on the side for work/school (AutoCAD,SketchUp,Revvit).

Thanks!

My Current Build(some parts are temporary placeholders and will be replaced, everything's factory clocked unless noted):
Intel i7 970
Intel DX58SO Mobo
6GB DDR3 Ram
160GB Intel X-25 SSD
Palit Nvidia GeForce 260 GTX
PoS Rocketfish "700W" PSU

Solution
Well I don't see thing being a big boost across the board but in games that don't make use of sli will see a major improvement. What version is your two gtx 260? If they are the older 65nm cards then the gtx 560ti will be noticeably faster but if the 55nm and able to reach decent shader clocks then not so much of an improvement. After all your current setup has better fill rates than most single gpu cards will ever see and with the lower 32bit single precession performance of Fermi there isn't as much bang one would think moving on from older architecture.

Martin9630

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
My estimate is that the GTX 260 SLI would be a bit better than the GTX 560 Ti, but the GTX 260 supports up to DirectX10, whilst the GTX 560 Ti supports up to DirectX11. I'd personally choose the GTX 560 Ti and sell the GTX 260.

Well I don't see thing being a big boost across the board but in games that don't make use of sli will see a major improvement. What version is your two gtx 260? If they are the older 65nm cards then the gtx 560ti will be noticeably faster but if the 55nm and able to reach decent shader clocks then not so much of an improvement. After all your current setup has better fill rates than most single gpu cards will ever see and with the lower 32bit single precession performance of Fermi there isn't as much bang one would think moving on from older architecture.

Solution

No Limitz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks for the heads up!
I'm hitting myself in the head right now for not even considering DX11 so it looks like I'll be upgrading to the 560ti for that reason pretty much(and that my card is indeed the older 65nm).

Status
Not open for further replies.