Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Possibly Dying ? Need Advice .

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2011 11:20:46 AM

For the past 3 years this card worked fine , It played L4D2 with everything on High but some in Medium , Crysis in Low , and Just Cause 2 on Medium with no hiccups , get about 40 FPS. This year , after not cleaning the fans and heatsink of the Video Card and CPU , ( Clean it last week with needle pins for pinching out dirt and Bicycle Pumps ). CPU temperatures dropped to 39 C and Graphics Card to 40 C before CPU is 58 C and Graphics Card is 68 C. Now my Inno3D NVIDIA Geforce 8400 Gs seemingly is failing , I just played L4D2 and there were sprinkling pixels , miscolored pixels allover my screen then freeze , next restart , played again but I managed to Alt-Tab and saw nVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver 280.26 stopped responding and has recovered. Next I played it on low , same . This time with Just Cause 2 running in 1024x768 , 30 FPS before , on the second explosion , I was flakking the Heli , the computer freeze evidently with looping sounds and numlock is locked on on. I restarted and run memtest etc. No Problem , it's not my processor for sure , my Motherboard works fine on others , but my PSU SAN ATX-360 W & P4 always make a annoying noisy fan sound every startup. My Mobo is an old ECS-671T-M btw. I'm considering of replacing the card with a Geforce 9800 GT and replacing the PSU with a 650 W one . My Processor is a Intel Dual Core E2180 2 GHZ . Any Advice Thanks!
OS is Win 7 Ultimate
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 14, 2011 12:04:00 PM

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the graphics card drivers ? I'm just wondering if you took the card out to clean it and when you put it back in it detected it as new hardware and is running on default drivers?

Mactronix :) 
m
l
August 14, 2011 1:02:19 PM

I reseated it multiple times
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2011 1:51:56 PM

mactronix said:
Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the graphics card drivers ? I'm just wondering if you took the card out to clean it and when you put it back in it detected it as new hardware and is running on default drivers?

Mactronix :) 

m
l
August 28, 2011 1:26:54 AM

Actually , I removed the newish 280.26 drivers with driver sweeper in safe mode without networking and installed the old 266.58 , error still occured , switched to 256 , still so no :( 
m
l
December 8, 2011 12:07:29 AM

XylumTech said:
For the past 3 years this card worked fine , It played L4D2 with everything on High but some in Medium , Crysis in Low , and Just Cause 2 on Medium with no hiccups , get about 40 FPS. This year , after not cleaning the fans and heatsink of the Video Card and CPU , ( Clean it last week with needle pins for pinching out dirt and Bicycle Pumps ). CPU temperatures dropped to 39 C and Graphics Card to 40 C before CPU is 58 C and Graphics Card is 68 C. Now my Inno3D NVIDIA Geforce 8400 Gs seemingly is failing , I just played L4D2 and there were sprinkling pixels , miscolored pixels allover my screen then freeze , next restart , played again but I managed to Alt-Tab and saw nVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver 280.26 stopped responding and has recovered. Next I played it on low , same . This time with Just Cause 2 running in 1024x768 , 30 FPS before , on the second explosion , I was flakking the Heli , the computer freeze evidently with looping sounds and numlock is locked on on. I restarted and run memtest etc. No Problem , it's not my processor for sure , my Motherboard works fine on others , but my PSU SAN ATX-360 W & P4 always make a annoying noisy fan sound every startup. My Mobo is an old ECS-671T-M btw. I'm considering of replacing the card with a Geforce 9800 GT and replacing the PSU with a 650 W one . My Processor is a Intel Dual Core E2180 2 GHZ . Any Advice Thanks!
OS is Win 7 Ultimate

I have same issue on 2 new pc's running win 7. I did a regedit and local, hardware, video and changed the 6 time out to a 0. Only happens a little now. Problem, it goes back to 6 when you reboot. Microsoft rep can't give me an answer on how to save it.I think it's a sotware issue.
m
l
!