Hard Drive Problems?

bardock123

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hello all. I'm new to the forums; However, I'm in desperate need of some help. I recently purchased one of Newegg's bundles for the purpose of making my own PC. This is my first build from scratch, so everything went shakier than I thought it would have. Everything seems to be fine except for one thing. My Hard drive Isn't being detected in bios. It's not spinning either. To add on to the problems, I took an old 320 sata from my previous PC and threw it into the new tower. It worked at first, prompting me to do a startup repair, ect. Once I got the clear that that drive worked, I unplugged everything, for the purpose of tidying up the wiring for decent air flow in the tower. Once everything was hooked back up, the drive would not boot. The new drive that I purchased will not boot either. I tried putting the 320gb drive back into the other pc, and it's not working in there as well. Has something gone horribly wrong? Is is possible for a faulty mobo to fry a hard drive? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:Additional information. The motherboard I'm currently using is the ASUS M4A88T-V. The power supply is a RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS, and the drive is a Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS.

bardock123

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
The DVD drive works fine. I've plugged the two hardrives into every single possible power output cable, and nothing. This is starting to worry me, mainly because the one drive had no problem being read the first time. Could a motherboard somehow fry a drive? That's what I'm really worried about, seeing as I had a lot of important things on the 320gb drive.