LOST FOLDERS

i'm aware that this post is somewhat off-topic, but i
couldnt find anyother newsgroup that seemed appropriate
either and the people in this group really seem to know
what they're talking about so... if you could just
indulge me for a minute...
i had a administrator level, password protected account
on a 'public' machine running WinXP pro. this machine is
in an internet cafe so there are a number of other
accounts on it but as far as i know there are only two
accounts with administrator permissions. anyway, two days
ago i came and tried to logon only to find that someone
had DELETED my account, this was a drag off course but
fixable... what REALLY pissed me off tho, was that i was
completely unable to access the 500MB or so of files
located in my previous account folders (i.e. my docs,
desktop, etc). this is what we did and what happened:
1) set up 'new' account with same name and permissions as
the old one. this didnt work. it just created another set
of folders for the new account and continued to deny me
access to my original folders.
2) tried to use System Restore - also didnt work - no
change at all in fact, in the accounts or the folder
structure. this was most annoying, i mean what else is
Sys. Restore for if it doesnt RESTORE your bloody system?
3) finally after a day of hair pulling and hand wringing
i remembered i had backed up the registry a few weeks ago
using Resplendant Registrar (great prog., terrible
name!). i did a restore of the registry and lo and
behold! there were all my missing folders!!
4) EXCEPT... of course nothing in life is free, and now i
have discovered that ANOTHER large folder that was in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ has
now 'disappeared'.
i have subsequently backed up all my files and am now
considering whether to try and reverse the reg. restore,
or run Sys. Restore, or to try and edit the Registry
MANUALLY - perhaps by importing subkeys from several of
the backup reg. files.... i dont know. i'm really a
novice at this kind of thing... where exactly does the
Reg. store the folder hierarchy info? and can it be
edited by someone without a Phd in Comp. Sci?
anyway, i know this has nothing to do with computer
customization. but that is a fav. topic of mine if that
helps :p - if this IS too off-topic, could you please
forward it to the appropriate newsgroup... (why isnt
there a 'Troubleshooting' newsgroup or 'Diagnostics' or
something like that?) i really need some answers here and
soon. I dont want to post my email cause its spam free
for the moment but i'll check in tomorrow and the next
day etc etc.
thanx alot in advance,
bvb

Hi Bob,
When you log on with your new account (administrator)
take ownership of your old files.
Then you should have no problems to access them...

thanks,
but, umm... how exactly is this done? (i curse the fool
who authored the help files for WinXP! i can never find
anything!). i'm really an recent and perhaps only
temporary convert from the Mac OS (OS9 that is...) so i'm
still getting my feet wet with all this stuff...
thanks alot for your timely response tho!
cheers
btb

Do you have access to any administrative login? That is, any username
account that has admin priviledges?

If so, then login as that, create your new account and give it admin
privs as well.

Also, right-click on whatever folder you cannot access, and go to the
Ownership tab. Take ownership by assigning it to yourself. Then you
should have access to it.

HTH

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:14:19 -0700,

>thanks,
>but, umm... how exactly is this done? (i curse the fool
>who authored the help files for WinXP! i can never find
>anything!). i'm really an recent and perhaps only
>temporary convert from the Mac OS (OS9 that is...) so i'm
>still getting my feet wet with all this stuff...
>thanks alot for your timely response tho!
>cheers
>btb

---Atreju---