LCD monitor with uniform brightness at fixed view point?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 11, 2005 11:46:14 AM

I have a 17" dell LCD monitor and it doesn't seem very ideal for photo
editing/viewing because viewing the monitor from a different angle yield
different brightness. In fact, the top of the screen is usually darker than
the bottom of the screen. The only way to compensate is to put the monitor
below eye level and look down on it. However, I don't like this perspective.

If I buy a new LCD monitor, how can I pick one without this problem?
Although the specification usually state the viewing angle range, what I
really need to know is how uniform brightness is in all area of the screen
at a normal view point (a view point has different view angle to different
part of the screen). Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 11, 2005 11:46:15 AM

Hi Peter,

I find it really hard working with LCD screens as well not because of
the brightness, but because of the accuracy of the colours. I find
sometimes the colours in my photos are way off, when compared with to
CRT monitor.

You're probably checked, but could it also be the lighting in your
room, that's causing the difference in brightness?

Jules
http://www.shuttertalk.com - the friendliest digital photography forums
on the net!
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 11, 2005 12:26:20 PM

peter wrote:

> I have a 17" dell LCD monitor and it doesn't seem very ideal for photo
> editing/viewing because viewing the monitor from a different angle yield
> different brightness. In fact, the top of the screen is usually darker than
> the bottom of the screen. The only way to compensate is to put the monitor
> below eye level and look down on it. However, I don't like this perspective.

The newer LCD monitors have come a long way. They don't suffer as much
from the 'angle' problem. They also have better resolution and color.

Buy one from a place that has them on display. (The volume discount
stores usually do this).

When I bought my LCD monitor, I took a CD loaded with a few photos from my
camera. I had the sales person load them and display them on several
monitors that I was interested in.

I picked the one I liked the best.
a b C Monitor
April 11, 2005 9:08:10 PM

Instead of some photos, you might want to take a copy of the image
here..

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/colour.html

There's a quite a lot of good info on that site about lcd screens in
general. I'm afraid even the good ones don't turn me on yet..,
although they *are* easy on the eyes for non-photographic work.

peter wrote:
> I have a 17" dell LCD monitor and it doesn't seem very ideal for
photo
> editing/viewing because viewing the monitor from a different angle
yield
> different brightness. In fact, the top of the screen is usually
darker than
> the bottom of the screen. The only way to compensate is to put the
monitor
> below eye level and look down on it. However, I don't like this
perspective.

> If I buy a new LCD monitor, how can I pick one without this problem?
> Although the specification usually state the viewing angle range,
what I
> really need to know is how uniform brightness is in all area of the
screen
> at a normal view point (a view point has different view angle to
different
> part of the screen). Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 11, 2005 10:46:33 PM

Even my 3 or 4yr old Samsung 170mp has a wide viewing angle, I would
think that nowadays only the lowest of low-end flat panels, if any,
would have viewing angle problems such as you describe. I think most
mfgr's list the viewing angle(s) in their specs.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 12, 2005 5:28:33 AM

"Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> Even my 3 or 4yr old Samsung 170mp has a wide viewing angle, I would
> think that nowadays only the lowest of low-end flat panels, if any,
> would have viewing angle problems such as you describe. I think most
> mfgr's list the viewing angle(s) in their specs.

I'm amazed to hear that. I'm sitting in front of a year old NEC 17" that has
exactly the same positional brightness and color tone issues that the OP
described. In fact, I have never seen a desktop LCD that doesn't suffer from
this 'feature'. For that reason, I still maintain a 21" Sony tube monitor for
serious photo work.

Just a glance at the site the other responder posted:

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/colour.html

and the 'top to bottom' LCD shift problem just plain jumps out.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 12, 2005 4:04:25 PM

"SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm amazed to hear that. I'm sitting in front of a year old NEC 17"
> that has
> exactly the same positional brightness and color tone issues that
> the OP
> described. In fact, I have never seen a desktop LCD that doesn't
> suffer from
> this 'feature'. For that reason, I still maintain a 21" Sony tube
> monitor for
> serious photo work.
>
> Just a glance at the site the other responder posted:
>
> http://www.techmind.org/lcd/colour.html
>
> and the 'top to bottom' LCD shift problem just plain jumps out.

No problem at all top to bottom on the Samsung 170mp, side-to-side
there is only a slight effect. But it's terrible on my Inspiron 5000.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 13, 2005 3:58:20 AM

> "SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > I'm amazed to hear that. I'm sitting in front of a year old NEC 17"
> > that has
> > exactly the same positional brightness and color tone issues that
> > the OP
> > described. In fact, I have never seen a desktop LCD that doesn't
> > suffer from
> > this 'feature'. For that reason, I still maintain a 21" Sony tube
> > monitor for
> > serious photo work.
> >
> > Just a glance at the site the other responder posted:
> >
> > http://www.techmind.org/lcd/colour.html
> >
> > and the 'top to bottom' LCD shift problem just plain jumps out.
>
> No problem at all top to bottom on the Samsung 170mp, side-to-side
> there is only a slight effect. But it's terrible on my Inspiron 5000.

you can honestly say that, centered on the page, and less than 2 feet away from
the screen, all the gray columns [left, center, right] are identical [without
moving your head], top to bottom?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 13, 2005 3:58:21 AM

> you can honestly say that, centered on the page, and less than 2
> feet away from
> the screen, all the gray columns [left, center, right] are identical
> [without
> moving your head], top to bottom?

Right, but at about 8" the effect slightly starts.
!