Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Recommended cooling for I5 2500K?

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2012 4:38:11 AM

I recently put together a machine and after looking at the stock cooler and checking temps with Core Temp I've decided that I don't feel safe with the stock cooler the I5 comes with.

I was thinking of getting this mostly because it is cheap and has excellent reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good reviews are not enough for me to make a purchase though, I always like to hear many opinions before spending money on anything. Does anyone have an opinion on this heatsink? If you do not like it, explain why and offer an alternative if you don't mind. I'm looking for something decent and inexpensive.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 14, 2012 5:14:20 AM

That is a great, if not the best heatsink for price/performance. You may also want to consider the evo or a second 120mm fan for a push pull setup. You will reach 4+ghz oc on that easily.
January 14, 2012 5:24:25 AM

Thank you for your reply - I have two questions for you amuffin.

1. What is the evo?
2. What is a push pull setup?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 5:27:12 AM

I'd get an enclosed loop liquid cooling HS. If you want budget, get a Corsair CWCH50. There are GREAT coolers and you can OC the dickens out of your proc. and it still keeps in manageable.

The CWCH50 is made by asetek and there are darn fine coolers for the price. Take a look at those and wait for Corsair to have a rebate/discount on them and you'll be golden. PLUS, they are pretty quiet which is a major +.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 14, 2012 5:31:20 AM

puttsy said:
I'd get an enclosed loop liquid cooling HS. If you want budget, get a Corsair CWCH50. There are GREAT coolers and you can OC the dickens out of your proc. and it still keeps in manageable.

The CWCH50 is made by asetek and there are darn fine coolers for the price. Take a look at those and wait for Corsair to have a rebate/discount on them and you'll be golden. PLUS, they are pretty quiet which is a major +.

The 212 outperforms the h50 :p 
a c 218 à CPUs
January 14, 2012 5:50:06 AM

puttsy said:

The low end closed loop coolers like the H50 not only cool worse than even budget air coolers they are much louder and more expensive. Only when you move up to the high end H100 do you get cooling as good as higher end air coolers. But the H100 is still louder and more expensive. There is no reason to buy one of these closed loop coolers unless you do not have room in your case for a good air cooler.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series...

The Hyper 212 Evo is a much better choice.

January 14, 2012 7:05:33 AM

I appreciate the replies but I'm not looking for water cooling. I'm just looking for something simple and inexpensive like a heat sink.
January 14, 2012 8:06:21 AM

live test on posting just finished the push and pull setup with the hyper 212+ not the evo version

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/abcvh.png/

push and pull you can do it if you buy an extra fan recomended same as the stock fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
my setup at the back fan case exhaust and on the heatsink right side intake air( normal cooling) left side exhausting air same like the cooler case
-< case fan -< left side heatsing -<right side heatsink pushing air

a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 11:05:10 AM

I've had an H50 on my i7-930 OC 4GHz 3 years now - it may not be as efficient but anytime I need to work inside my case not having a hunk of metal and 2 large fans make life a lot easier. Installing it was easy as well. I have never had a problem with noise and my core temps rarely go above 53C. Closed loop WC do have their advantages. If I was doing it again I'd go with the H80.
-Bruce
a c 184 à CPUs
January 15, 2012 7:36:43 AM

dish_moose said:
I've had an H50 on my i7-930 OC 4GHz 3 years now - it may not be as efficient but anytime I need to work inside my case not having a hunk of metal and 2 large fans make life a lot easier. Installing it was easy as well. I have never had a problem with noise and my core temps rarely go above 53C. Closed loop WC do have their advantages. If I was doing it again I'd go with the H80.
-Bruce

I would still recommend the 212 over the h50 in this situation because it is in op budget range. Then again if we were comparing the h80 to the 212.....
January 15, 2012 11:11:00 AM

amuffin said:
I would still recommend the 212 over the h50 in this situation because it is in op budget range. Then again if we were comparing the h80 to the 212.....

I wish to know how well the h80 will perform compared to the 212, the 212 looks kind of intimidating :(  I'm new to pc building, hoping to learn as I go along :lol: 
a c 218 à CPUs
January 16, 2012 8:49:07 PM

inner universe said:
Based on your guys' feedback, I've decided to go with the 212 Evo. I have read reviews on newegg and nearly every review mentions that it is very big and won't fit in some cases.

Question: This is the case I own. Will it fit?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yes, it will fit with no problems at all.
January 16, 2012 9:20:53 PM

Thank you anort3. In addition to it fitting, I have another similar question. The tiny stock heatsink my I5 2500K came with is awfully close to the memory slot. I took a picture so you can see just how close it is.

http://i.imgur.com/PmZdF.jpg

If I install the 212 Evo would it cover the RAM slot, effectively preventing me from installing a stick there in the future and limiting me to three available slots for RAM?
a c 218 à CPUs
January 16, 2012 9:41:21 PM

Actually I am pretty sure the Hyper 212 does not cover any memory slots. I have a much larger Scythe Mugen 2 and it does have overhang issues but the GSkill Ripjaws X RAM I have has low enough heat spreaders it fits under it. I have seen people have issued with Corsair Vengance and the larger heat sinks but as I said I am pretty sure the Hyper 212 does not have those problems.
January 16, 2012 11:30:47 PM

@anort3,

Did you check the picture I provided to see how close it was in my setup?

Best solution

a c 218 à CPUs
January 17, 2012 12:39:19 AM

Yep. The hyper 212 is tall but does not overhang much. My Mugen 2 is about twice as wide as the Hyper 212 and only barely covers the first RAM slots. We both have Gigabyte boards and you have low heat spreader RAM just like me. It will fit fine.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 17, 2012 1:00:25 AM

On my system the 212 evo with both fans are very close to the ram, but do not cover them.
January 17, 2012 2:29:28 AM

Thanks guys, I'm going to purchase the 212 Evo. Final question, can someone recommend me a fan to purchase with it for a push pull system? (Is that all I need for a push pull system? Sorry I'm a newb.)
January 23, 2012 3:44:49 AM

Best answer selected by inner universe.
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2012 7:25:20 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!