3D gaming build...........need ur opinions pls

Hi,
I am Sayak, just joined THW.I want to build a 3d-gaming pc. i want full eyecandy @1920x1080.
Budget is around 2000$(max). PC should last 3-4 yrs atleast.
I am from India, my currency is Rupees(Rs), 1$ = 50 Rs(approx)

The configuration i've come up with is as follows:

CPU - AMD Phenom II 955 BE (will be overclocked @ 4Ghz) - Rs 6000
Motherbrd - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula - Rs 12000
RAM - 16 GB (4 x 4GB) Corsair XMS3 1600 mhz (9-9-9-24) - Rs 6000
GPU - 2 x Sapphire Radeon HD6950 Flex Edition 2GB DDR5 (Crossfired) - Rs 35500
PPU - Palit GeForce GT430 1024MB DDR3 - Rs 3200
SSD - Corsair Force Series 60GB SATA II - Rs 6500
HDD - recycled from older build
Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H70 CPU Cooler - Rs 5500
Monitor - LG D2342P 3D Monitor With 3D Glasses - Rs 15800
Cabinet - NZXT Lexa S Mid Tower - Rs 4300
Mouse - Razr Mamba (recycled from older build)
Keyboard - Razr Nostromo/ TVS mechanical kbd (recycled from older build)
Speakers - recycled from older build

TOTAL - Rs 94,800 (approx $1896)

I need suggestions on what power supply to use......pls suggest something without crossing the budget.
If need be, i can cancel the SSD for later. Any other opinions are also welcome.
Software prices need not be considered.
I will make my purchase within the next month.
7 answers Last reply
More about gaming build need opinions
  1. sayakbiswas said:
    Hi,
    I am Sayak, just joined THW.I want to build a 3d-gaming pc. i want full eyecandy @1920x1080.
    Budget is around 2000$(max). PC should last 3-4 yrs atleast.
    I am from India, my currency is Rupees(Rs), 1$ = 50 Rs(approx)

    The configuration i've come up with is as follows:

    CPU - AMD Phenom II 955 BE (will be overclocked @ 4Ghz) - Rs 6000
    Motherbrd - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula - Rs 12000
    RAM - 16 GB (4 x 4GB) Corsair XMS3 1600 mhz (9-9-9-24) - Rs 6000
    GPU - 2 x Sapphire Radeon HD6950 Flex Edition 2GB DDR5 (Crossfired) - Rs 35500
    PPU - Palit GeForce GT430 1024MB DDR3 - Rs 3200
    SSD - Corsair Force Series 60GB SATA II - Rs 6500
    HDD - recycled from older build
    Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H70 CPU Cooler - Rs 5500
    Monitor - LG D2342P 3D Monitor With 3D Glasses - Rs 15800
    Cabinet - NZXT Lexa S Mid Tower - Rs 4300
    Mouse - Razr Mamba (recycled from older build)
    Keyboard - Razr Nostromo/ TVS mechanical kbd (recycled from older build)
    Speakers - recycled from older build

    TOTAL - Rs 94,800 (approx $1896)

    I need suggestions on what power supply to use......pls suggest something without crossing the budget.
    If need be, i can cancel the SSD for later. Any other opinions are also welcome.
    Software prices need not be considered.
    I will make my purchase within the next month.


    This is a really bad build...the only 3D GT430 can do is Compiz...instead of the fancy 3D stuff, why don't you build a serious gaming pc?
  2. michxymi said:
    This is a really bad build...the only 3D GT430 can do is Compiz...instead of the fancy 3D stuff, why don't you build a serious gaming pc?



    GT430.............its meant for Physx only.....:)
  3. sayakbiswas said:
    GT430.............its meant for Physx only.....:)


    I don't remember If you still can do that, but I'm pretty sure it will only cause problems instead of benefits....Physics can be left to GPU
  4. michxymi said:
    I don't remember If you still can do that, but I'm pretty sure it will only cause problems instead of benefits....Physics can be left to GPU


    fine i'll cancel the gt430..................two 6950 2gb in crossfire should be able to handle most things(excluding physx).........but i still need a PSU....
  5. 1) The 955 BE is more for builds around $1000. For your budget go with a 2500k instead. You'll be happier.

    2) you need a driver hack to use an nvidia card for physx if you also plan to use AMD cards. I suggest you use a GTS 450 if you really want to do that. Remember that only a few games use GPU accelerated PhysX so I don't really know if it's worth it to you for not.

    3) If you want to game in 3D and at 1080p you need a 3D monitor with Display Port that supports AMDs 3D implementation like this one

    http://3dvision-blog.com/viewsonic-v3d241wm-3d-monitor-for-amd-hd3d-technology-review/

    You also need separate 3D software for games that don't have 3D built in the way the new Deus Ex does. If you want to make things easy on yourself then go with the nVidia option and get two 560Tis or two 570s in SLI.
  6. Read this article to understand more about the differences between nVidia 3D Vision and AMD HD3D

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tridef-stereoscopic-3d-gaming,3019.html
  7. megamanx00 said:
    Read this article to understand more about the differences between nVidia 3D Vision and AMD HD3D

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tridef-stereoscopic-3d-gaming,3019.html



    Thanks Megamanx00,

    At HD resolutions GPU r more important than CPU nowadays, anyways been with AMD for two decades(386DX,1991) and dont see that changing anytime soon.....hehe :D

    I've forever used nVidia cards......so wanted to try Ati this time round......plus 6950 comes with 2GB vram.....crossfire that and you get a whopping 4GB vram :bounce:

    The monitor i choose, LG D2342P, supports HD3D.......so it should'nt be a problem.

    I've done a fair deal of research on this system.......but i cant figure out what PSU to use........should a 800watt PSU be enough???

    EDIT: i really cant afford a 2500k if i want to crossfire, do you really think a PhII x4 955 running @ 4GHz plus watercooling wont be enough????............plus intel motherboards kinda suck.. :cry:
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming 3D Systems Product