Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Custom PC wont turn OFF

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2011 3:41:56 PM

Hey guys, long time lurker.

I have a custom PC that runs beautifully! Fast and cheap, running Vista. But I have one odd problem with it. When I go to shut down the PC (either by start -> shut down, putting it to sleep, or by the power button) it never fully shuts off. Instead it seems to restart and goes through boot up like i had just turned it back on or hit restart instead.

Here is a list of hardware (from memory since I am not home):

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 5000+
RAM: <unknown manufacturer and model ATM> 2x2GB
HD: Western Digital 320GB
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 430W Watt ATX

Like I said, when booted the PC has no problems what so ever and runs with ease. I have built 3 PCs in the past so I do know what I am doing when it comes to the hardware, software, and BIOS. Any ideas?

More about : custom wont turn

a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2011 3:55:34 PM

did you try unplugging it?

Sorry, i couldn't resist. Could be a bad case? Im guessing that if there is a short in the power button, it could be causing it to turn on no matter what. Im gonna have to do some research on this, and hopefully someone has this problem. I have to say though, we usually answer questions on why they wont turn ON, not OFF.
m
l
October 14, 2011 3:57:59 PM

Ah, ive had this before, what i did to resolve this, go into bios and change it from auto rebooting on power failure :) 
m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2011 3:58:20 PM

casualbuilder said:
did you try unplugging it?

Sorry, i couldn't resist. Could be a bad case? Im guessing that if there is a short in the power button, it could be causing it to turn on no matter what. Im gonna have to do some research on this, and hopefully someone has this problem. I have to say though, we usually answer questions on why they wont turn ON, not OFF.

hahaha yeah the only way to turn it off is to actually cut power to the PSU. As for a short in the case, wouldnt that cause the PC to short out and turn off, instead of never turning off?
m
l

Best solution

October 14, 2011 3:58:33 PM

I recently built a new rig and the same thing happened to me. The issue turned out to be that my power button/restart button were wired into the motherboard incorrectly (the diagram and labeling on the pins was kind of vague).

I would look at that before anything else.
October 14, 2011 4:00:58 PM

mouse24 said:
Ah, ive had this before, what i did to resolve this, go into bios and change it from auto rebooting on power failure :) 

Interesting, I don't remember seeing that as an option in the BIOS, HOWEVER I admit that I was very tired and frustrated at the time so I will look at that when I return home. Thanks for the suggestion
m
l
October 15, 2011 12:03:13 AM

mouse24 said:

Well I explored the BIOS and no such option was available. Any other suggestions? I'll also look to see if I have the most up to date BIOS
m
l
October 17, 2011 1:05:25 AM

SOLVED!

Looks like it was the case. Must have been a faulty/dirty on/off switch. New case fixed it right up. It now will shut down and sleep correctly.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and help guys!
m
l
October 17, 2011 1:05:52 AM

Best answer selected by afireinside7710.
m
l
!