Is it possible to run two differnt video cards with one motherboard?

fluxcapacitor

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I built a system for my high end 3d graphics cam/cad business. I have a Quadro 5000 video card. But I also bought a GeForce GTX 580 card. I was hoping to be able to game with my Quadro 5000 video card but it doesn't compare to my GeForce GTX 580 in gaming. Is there a way to run these two video cards in a mother board and have two ssd drives both with W7 Ultimate OS. Then one can run the Quadro 4000 video card and the other run the GeForce GTX 580? I know you can change to boot to what hard drive you want. But how do you separate the video cards? Thanks

Solution
To run the applications and games the way that it is meant to run you will need to swap out the cards every time you wanted or needed to do what it was at that time. I suggest a different build on the side for your gaming needs or settle with gaming on the quadro. The only other thing you can do is have monitors attached to both cards and in windows be able to change witch card is the main card without having to do any swapping. That is all that I can suggest. I know the quadro was bought for work so job is more important than being able to enjoy a few games at their best.
To run the applications and games the way that it is meant to run you will need to swap out the cards every time you wanted or needed to do what it was at that time. I suggest a different build on the side for your gaming needs or settle with gaming on the quadro. The only other thing you can do is have monitors attached to both cards and in windows be able to change witch card is the main card without having to do any swapping. That is all that I can suggest. I know the quadro was bought for work so job is more important than being able to enjoy a few games at their best.

Solution

fluxcapacitor

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

Thanks for the info. Ya I am thinking of just getting another system for my gaming card. The two monitor thing interest me though. I would I do this in Windows? I have W7 Ultimate and Professional.