Sign in with
Your question

Rate my new build plz...

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2011 6:23:49 PM

Hey guys, after the sumwat dissapointing debut of bulldozer i thought it was time for me to pull the trigger on my new build..
I had this build planned as a backup just in case bulldozer wudnt deliver.
So here it is, some are old parts from my previous pc which i will mention in the post...Hopelly this biild will last a good few years atleast...

Cpu: intel 2500k ( wiill b ocing it straight out of the box to 4.6ghz)
Cpu cooler: hyper 212 plus (pushNpull config)
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaw 8gb 1600mhz 9.9.9.27 cas
Mobo: Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 socket 1155
VGA: Asus Nvidia GTX480 1536MB ( from old pc)
PSU: Corsair 650TX (from old build)
Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus ( extra 4x120mm fans)
DVD Drive: Pioneer ( from old pc)
HDD: 2x500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 16MB ( from old pc)
Mouse and pad: Coolermaster Storm Sentinel Advance with Razor Goliathus control mat
Keyboard: Basic logitech media keyboard
Monitor: Samsung B2430H 24" widescreen (from old pc)

I will be adding a SSD in the futute, but i am not sure whether to use it as a standalone or quick cache option ?
Please post ur thoughts...any comments will be highly appreciated.

More about : rate build plz

October 14, 2011 6:32:52 PM

H there! Wlcome to the forums.

Well, looks pretty good. that VGA is gonna put out a ton of heat and pull a lot of power, but I think you know that already ;)  It's a nice rig!
You definitely should go for a standalone SSD. Check out this review that came out, and see what's in your budget. I would recommend staying away from older OCZ drives, they have some issues with reliability. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-nand-reliabilit...

Cheers!
October 14, 2011 6:38:21 PM

Looks pretty good. There is a new version of that CPU cooler (EVO). I'm guessing you have access to the HAF 912 Plus? I could only get the standard edition in Canada so I ended up returning it and getting the Silverstone PS06. HAF 912 is a pretty good simple and open case.
Related resources
October 14, 2011 6:38:37 PM

Will have a look m8... Just one question will it not boodt overall system performance with quick cache instead of just putting OS on the drive ?
Cheers for reply :) 
October 14, 2011 6:45:47 PM

Eh, it would be a very tiny boost over your current drives. I assume they are in RAID 0? If so, you probably wouldn't notice a difference at all.

And if you get a decent size drives (60GB) you should be able to fit OS, some apps, and a couple games. In those programs, you will see an ENORMOUS benefit from being on the SSD.

While Smart Cache supposedly boosts the whole system, it's limited in what it can do. You'd probably notice a small increase, but nothing like using the programs directly off the SSD.
October 14, 2011 7:00:03 PM

I will recommend against any Coolermaster products, regardless of quality. Many of their PSUs have liar labels on them or lack protections they claim to have (fact, not opinion; reviews at HardwareSecrets). That's dishonest, and IMHO a dishonest company does not deserve anyone's business. Fortunately, in any market where Coolermaster has products, there are competitors offering equal (or better) alternatives for the same (or less) money, e.g. Rosewill cases, Xigmatek coolers, etc.
October 14, 2011 7:00:07 PM

Not using raid config... Correct me if i am wrong but ssd wont make any diff on gaming performance apart from quicker loading time ?
October 14, 2011 7:06:00 PM

Yeah, it's just for load times.
October 14, 2011 7:30:40 PM

Btw any idea when the pci gen3 vga cards coming out. And wat kind of performance will they provide coupled with ivy bridge ?
October 14, 2011 7:34:42 PM

Ahh, excellent question. I believe people are expecting a Q2 release for new video cards, not sure on that. We have absolutely NO idea what the performance will be like, only that it should be a huge improvement.
October 15, 2011 10:09:04 PM

went ahead with the upgrade...and quite honestly it was worth every penny !!
Average frame rate in games like crysis 2 and witcher 2 have increased by almost 200% :ouch:  ...where i used to get only 15-20 FPS now its around 60 FPS... and thats all on STOCK cpu/vga speed !!
I had no idea that my old 955 was holding the whole system back this much..
Thx all for your feedback. now am off to play some games like they were meant to be played :sol: 

!