Power spike at boot tripping circuit breaker

rebelcommander

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I have a fairly beefy system with several hard drives, dual video cards, etc requiring the use of a 1000 watt PSU. Over half the time I power it on, I end up tripping my 15 amp circuit breaker. I can plug it into a 20a circuit and it works fine, but that's not going to be convenient for where I'm using the computer.
I'm wondering if there's a better PSU that could handle the current spike on power up or if running the power through a UPS would flatten the spike. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

beenthere

Distinguished
If the grid power circuit has suffcient power yo might try a surge dampened circuit breaker or time delay circuit breaker.

If you want to know what your system PSU requirements are the link below will walk you thru the easy calculations and help you determine a lower power PSU if that's what you really want but a proper circuit breaker should fix the issue if you're not overloading the grid power feed circuit.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/314712-10-please-read-determine-power-required

TRENDING THREADS