Sign in with
Your question

Can someone explain how Bandwith is used to us?

Tags:
  • Download
  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
November 16, 2010 7:55:14 PM

When I download large files at rates around 1mb/s on a 20mb connection my brothers Bandwith seems to get destroyed, which results in endless router resets so he can get a little time online.

My question is, shouldnt the Bandwith be shared equally between us instead of my download eating it all up? I have absolutely no Idea how to fix this.

this happens on Both his PC and Xbox, his connection drops.

Were bothing using Wireless Ethernet Bridges from belkin.

My Router is Netgear WGR614v9

If you need more info, just ask.

More about : explain bandwith

November 16, 2010 9:17:27 PM

It won't be shared by a simple home router, a download will try to take up as much bandwidth as it can unless it's limited by either the software doing the download (meaning you can't just use the default Windows download) or by a Quality of Service setting in the Router which can be used to specify how much bandwidth and priority each connection is allowed to use.
November 16, 2010 10:48:04 PM

Firefox has a download throttle addon you can download. I forget the name of it.

Nalrah said:
When I download large files at rates around 1mb/s on a 20mb connection my brothers Bandwith seems to get destroyed, which results in endless router resets so he can get a little time online.

My question is, shouldnt the Bandwith be shared equally between us instead of my download eating it all up? I have absolutely no Idea how to fix this.

this happens on Both his PC and Xbox, his connection drops.

Were bothing using Wireless Ethernet Bridges from belkin.

My Router is Netgear WGR614v9

If you need more info, just ask.

!