Maximum Windows in Windows XP

For a long time now I have been dealing with what is
probably the most annoying feature of windows XP, at
around 50 open windows, windows XP refuses to open any
further new windows at all, reguardless of type.

This has become increasingly frustrating as my windows
2000 machine does not have this limitation.

If someone coudl please tell me where the registry setting
which controls the maximum number of windows is located, I
woudl be eternally greatfull. If this is somehow
hardcoded, please inform me, so I can buy a few more
copies of windows 2000 before they go out of style.

Thank you all in advance!

(A very frustrated) Ben Personick

If you he=ave the need to open more then 50 windows at
the same time, then you have a serious mental problem...

well,

I will thank you not to make remarks as to my mental
capacity. I don't insult you for the way you use windows.

I work as a network engineer, and systemms
administrator, and have more then enough reason to keep
many many windows open, having to work on many diferent
projects at once. This creates the largest problem when
researching new problems and solutions on the internet,
when I want to keep different pages open because they may
all contain aspects of a problem and help me solve it.

The machine I'm on can certainly handle having that
many windows open, and a much lesser machine I have at
home with Windows 2000 on itdoes so quite well, however
windows XP pretty much refuses to provide the
functionality I require at that level. I'm good at what I
do, even if you might consider my methods a mental problem.

Ben

Hello Ben,

On my XP Pro box, I use MyIe2 (now known as Maxthon) tabbed web browser, *free of charge* from
http://www.maxthon.com/en/index.htm . This uses some components of MS Internet Explorer.

A number of people (including MS-MVPs and VSOPs) over at the AUMHA forum for
[Internet Explorer, MyIE2, Outlook & Outlook Express] at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=7 are very pleased to use it.

I routinely have more than 50 tabs open within *one* instance of the browser.

As for inane/juvenile/retarded comments in these newsgroups, I have noticed this nonsense in every forum and newsgroup that I have
ever visited.
--
Jan

| well,
|
| I will thank you not to make remarks as to my mental
| capacity. I don't insult you for the way you use windows.
|
| I work as a network engineer, and systemms
| administrator, and have more then enough reason to keep
| many many windows open, having to work on many diferent
| projects at once. This creates the largest problem when
| researching new problems and solutions on the internet,
| when I want to keep different pages open because they may
| all contain aspects of a problem and help me solve it.
|
| The machine I'm on can certainly handle having that
| many windows open, and a much lesser machine I have at
| home with Windows 2000 on itdoes so quite well, however
| windows XP pretty much refuses to provide the
| functionality I require at that level. I'm good at what I
| do, even if you might consider my methods a mental problem.
|
| Ben

Thank you, this should help.

Ben

On Windows 95 the number of WIN_MAX is 16364 open windows, more than most would need you'd probably agree, this is no doubt increase in later versions. The problem is that actually your system will probably be running at least 40 "helper" windows or more somewhere in the background, and this is inclusive of all windows buttons and controls which require a windows handle for messaging. As most windows programs just use predefined controls all requiring windows overheads this can quicky become literally thousands of windows, unfortunately this's just the way it goes until developers give up using windows controls and designing and maintaining their own in-house controls that do not require windows handles ( along and costly process)

Spadge (Windows Programmer)

Oh, more likely the problem would be lack of RAM with 50 open applications anyway... I mean FIFTY apps, sorry but part of me says you got a problem, cos I do lots of programming, notepads open with snippets of code pasted in etc. Notes to self, calculator, debug windows, project managers, object inspecters all sorts of different things going on but 50 apps is proposterous... 100, 200 windows on mine seem to be no problem, I even wrote an app to list all of them, background ones and all.