Sign in with
Your question

Did I fry my motherboard? :(

Last response: in Motherboards
November 11, 2012 3:42:16 PM

First off, I'm from Finland, as my username and wrong order of words and, well, generally everything, might strongly imply. Hope somebody is brave enough to dive in my confusing jungle of highly incorrect English.

About two weeks ago I ordered new parts from Germany, since the parts are cheaper over there than they are here in Finland (stupid Nordic fees). I received the parts this Friday (Nov 9). I ordered the case from Finland.

Mobo: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M
CPU: AMD A10-5800K
Memory: 1x Kingston HyperX 4GB 1866MHz (the mobo supports dual channel, shouldnt a single channel memory work too?)
GPU: Radeon HD6570
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V+ 200 60GB
HDDs: 1x Western Digital Blue 500GB & 1x WD 500GB
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000
PSU: XFX Core Edition Pro450W 80+ Efficiency

(When assembling, I constantly touched the unpainted part of a radiator to discharge myself from electrostatic energy. Was extra careful with the CPU - held it with my other arm while the other even more constantly touching the radiator)
(I had, as carefully as I could, already installed in the CPU - golden arrow being lined with the arrow in the socket - and the memory when the mobo was still lying on its box and its foam thingy in the back. Of course I removed the foam thingy before installing the mobo in the case)

1. The "cage" for an optical disk drive and an SSD was just in the way of the mobo when trying to insert it in the case.
2. I had also completely forgotten to screw in the M/B standoffs before _cramming_ the mobo in (cramming because I was too stupid to pull back and approach from a different angle - it was probably already too late.
3. I then started screwing the mobo in _with_a_standoff_straight_onto_the_back_of_the_case. Yes. You read right. If the mobo is done, this is probably the part i made it done at. The standoffs in my earlier (first) build were already screwed in so that's probably one of the main reasons all this happened.
4. "Finally" I realised I had F'd everything up and was about to hang myself, but somehow managed to calm myself down. Moved the mobo back on its box and screwed the standoffs in.
5. Mobo installed the right way.
6. Wires attached to the mobo from the PSU and the front panel. Should be the right way, as I did all just as I did when trying with my old mobo on the new case and with the new PSU.

Issue:
When pressing the power button on the front panel, all that seemed to happen was the power LED lighted (no blinking - it lighted just as it should on a working machine). Absolutely no fan action at all on any of the fans. The speaker that came with the case, installed on the mobo - no terrific series of ground-shaking error beeps. Nothing.

Have I stupidly fried the mobo, the CPU, or the memory? The mobo supports dual-channel, but shouldn't it support my single as well?

What I've tried to fix the issue:
- starting with only the essentials to start a computer
- starting with a screwdriver from the mobo, by putting it in the middle of the Power SW pins
- starting with, and without the memory
- starting with the memory in every DIMM slot.
- paperclip test (also, the new PSU works completely fine, as my old parts on the new case are powered by it)

So. What's wrong. Fried mobo, CPU, or memory? Or everything? :( 

More about : fry motherboard

a c 435 V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 3:48:56 PM

Check the backplate for squareness and be sure no overhang metal is touching inside any ports. Any extra standoffs touching motherboard circuitry? Ram sticks all seated in each slot (lots of folks don't press them in all the way)? 12v power supply 4 or 8 pin lead connected next to the cpu? Does the fan turn when you install the 24 pin atx lead? Is your power supply toggle switch in the "on" position (-)?
November 11, 2012 3:55:09 PM

Make sure the metal parts aren't touching.
And your only supposed to drain static electricity, so keeping your hand on the radiator the whole time, might have done something. But yeah, try taking it apart, then putting it back together, only with essentials, if you dont reach the Bios screen, either your mobos bios is fried (or your whole mobo), or your cables aren't in correctly.
Related resources
November 11, 2012 4:22:03 PM

o1die said:
Check the backplate for squareness and be sure no overhang metal is touching inside any ports. Any extra standoffs touching motherboard circuitry? Ram sticks all seated in each slot (lots of folks don't press them in all the way)? 12v power supply 4 or 8 pin lead connected next to the cpu? Does the fan turn when you install the 24 pin atx lead? Is your power supply toggle switch in the "on" position (-)?

Can't check the backplate right now, for the old mobo is quite covering it.

Tried the RAM sticks in every slot. Pressed it all the way in with good power until I heard it clicking.

8 pin lead near the CPU was connected and made sure to be "in" like ten times.

PSU fan didn't turn on at all. As I said, absolutely no fan action in any of the fans, PSU fan included.

PSU toggle switch was in the on position... Would the LED even turn on if it was in the (O) position?

Also, didn't really spot any mobo LEDs, unlike in my old mobo which has a red LED glowing with a blinding force right in my eye as long as the PSU switch is (I)...
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 4:59:24 PM

Unplug and reseat the 24 pin lead to the board. Disconnect all the optical and hardrives. You just want to see a post screen. Moving the screwdriver around the pin cluster will eventually get some action. The fans should turn if nothing else.
!