Imminent hard drive failure

G

I have two Maxtor 30gb drives running in a striped array using a promise fastrak 66. One of the drives is making a sick grinding noise, and I have learned from tech support that it will probably fail soon. My question is, is there a way to backup the contents of these two drives onto the working drive in the array so I won't lose everything when it does eventually fail? Any help would be appreciated.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you're screwed unless you pick up a third drive which you hook directly to controller (i.e. skipping the RAID controller).
The data you have is striped onto both drives (assuming RAID 0 configuration here), you can't at the same time be taking it off the working drive in RAID 0 mode and putting it back in non-RAID mode...

if you don't have third drive, but have a burner, pick up software like Norton Ghost which will allow you to burn a spanning image... will take you time and money, maybe if you use CD-RW you'll be able to reuse them...

G

Usually a utility is included to duplicate a drive if such a case presents itself. Usually it requires hooking the drive up to the controller, then choosing within controller BIOS to duplicate a drive. It should ask what drive to duplicate, and what drive to make the duplicate. Of course this requires an extra drive, I see no other way to do this unless you have one single drive to copy all info to.

G

can you say Backup? There is no way to consolidate the data from the the two discs to one. You will need some third device.. be it any the ones mentioned to move the data. I would say quick is good, and if the data is that important, get another hd to move it.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***