Epson Ink Carts

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 11, 2005 12:36:40 PM

I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
dislike this company.

Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
party cart that works well?

Thanks
Barry

More about : epson ink carts

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 3:07:27 PM

B&B Musmon <barrym@tdstelme.net> writes:

> I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
> greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
> and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
> unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
> dislike this company.
>
> Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
> have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
> picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
> good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
> of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
> party cart that works well?

On a 2200, at least, there's something like another 30% usable ink in
the cartridge after it reads "empty"; a chip-resetter lets you get at
that ink. Of course, if you get sloppy, it also lets you run the
nozzles dry and potentially damage them.
April 11, 2005 5:43:19 PM

B&B Musmon wrote:
> I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
> greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
> and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
> unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
> dislike this company.
>
> Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
> have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
> picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
> good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
> of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
> party cart that works well?
>
> Thanks
> Barry

I tend to agree, but there is a solution, sort of

The professional level machines do have much cheaper and more flexible
ink systems. However the price of the machines are much higher,
representing a fair to high price for the machine. The price of the
consumer grade printers is artificially low, based on the anticipated profit
from the future sales of ink.

I am a low volume printer so I bought a consumer grade printer. It does
a good job. When I bought it, after all the sales promotions, I paid less
for the printer with ink than I could be replacement ink for the same day.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit
Related resources
April 11, 2005 6:50:33 PM

It seems like Epson ink prices are linked to the cost of gasoline.
Third party inks can often lead to head clogging and do not necessarily have
the same color gamut. There are bulk fed systems but it is a big investment
if it turns out not to one's liking.
Pantone manufactures special cartridges for the Espon 1280 that cost twice
as much as Epson ink.
There are many outlets on the web that sell Asian branded but still Epson
manufactured cartridges at a substantial discount. Unfortunately there are
scoundrels out there advertising low prices but are scam artists.
Unfortunately I am a moderately high volume printer who has tuned everything
to color managed output on a 1280. Not only are the inks overpriced but the
simple resin /varnished hi gloss papers cost as much or more than actual
color photo paper.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 6:55:43 PM

B&B Musmon wrote:

>I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
>greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
>and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
>unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
>dislike this company.

Those are reasons to buy a Canon Printer.

>Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
>have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
>picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
>good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
>of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
>party cart that works well?
>
>Thanks
>Barry

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 6:55:44 PM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Pdw6e.391$J12.119@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>...
> B&B Musmon wrote:
>
> >I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
> >greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
> >and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
> >unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
> >dislike this company.
> >

> Those are reasons to buy a Canon Printer.
>
> >Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
> >have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
> >picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
> >good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
> >of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
> >party cart that works well?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Barry

www.extracartridges.com
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 9:12:34 PM

"B&B Musmon" <barrym@tdstelme.net> wrote in message
>I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
> greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
> and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
> unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
> dislike this company.
>
> Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
> have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
> picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
> good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
> of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
> party cart that works well?
>
> Thanks
> Barry

Try www.ink4art.com
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 9:15:33 PM

>www.extracartridges.com

I can't tell is this an endorsement. You have used them for a R200
compatible and they have acceptable color and longevity?
April 11, 2005 9:19:58 PM

Who says Canon is cheap , their carts are over priced also.

"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote in message
> "B&B Musmon" <barrym@tdstelme.net> wrote in message
>>I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
>> greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
>> and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
>> unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
>> dislike this company.
>>
>> Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
>> have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
>> picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
>> good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
>> of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
>> party cart that works well?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Barry
>
> Try www.ink4art.com

April 12, 2005 1:10:12 AM

Spend the money on the printer or spend it on the ink. I bought an Epson
3000 6 years ago and buy individual colour carts for it. The shortest time
any cart has ever lasted is 7 months. The printer cost me about 1,200
dollars. Ink over the years has probably added about another 1,100-1500. The
largest prints I make are on 16.5x24 inch paper, although the machine can do
longer (I think).
I know people who have bought 200 dollar Epson printers and spent that
much again in inks every couple months. And they can't print larger than
8x10.
I will be replacing the 3000 soon with a 4000. More ink carts but still
with only one colour per cart, and still capable of 17 inch wide prints.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"B&B Musmon" <barrym@tdstelme.net> wrote in message
> I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
> greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
> and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
> unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
> dislike this company.
>
> Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
> have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
> picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
> good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
> of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
> party cart that works well?
>
> Thanks
> Barry
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:02:08 AM

<bugman0@gmail.com> wrote in message
> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> B&B Musmon wrote:
>>
>> >I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
>> >greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
>> >and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
>> >unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
>> >dislike this company.
>> >

>> Sure buy a cannon printer they are even worse...
>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>> Those are reasons to buy a Canon Printer.
>>
>> >Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
>> >have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
>> >picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
>> >good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
>> >of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
>> >party cart that works well?
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >Barry
>> >

> www.extracartridges.com
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:22:43 AM

"B&B Musmon" <barrym@tdstelme.net> wrote in message
>I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
> greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
> and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
> unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
> dislike this company.
>
> Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
> have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
> picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
> good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
> of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
> party cart that works well?
>
> Thanks
> Barry

Get an Epson 4000.

Each ink cartridge holds more ink all colors combined in a normal color
cartridge (with multiple colors) for the 2200, etc.
The 4000 printer ships with about $600 worth of ink, and the printer itself
is selling for $1500 right now (after $300 rebate). This is a wide format
(17") UltraChrome pigment ink printer that is in a different league from any
of the printers discussed here with regularity (Canon, Epson 2200, HP,
etc.).

If you use the even BIGGER cartridges that were designed for the massive
Epson 7600, 9600 and 10600 printers (which work perfectly in the 4000), the
cost of ink is less than one SEVENTH of what it costs 2200 owners for the
same amount of printing.

I made literally hundreds of prints with just the ink that shipped with the
printer. While most of these prints were smallish...a number of them were
17"x41" panoramas (using the roll feeder that comes with the printer).
The printer is extremely smart...with an automatic (or manual) paper cutter,
automatic head alignment and nozzle checks, and is built like a piece of
industrial machinery.

-Mark
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:26:01 AM

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Spend the money on the printer or spend it on the ink. I bought an Epson
> 3000 6 years ago and buy individual colour carts for it. The shortest time
> any cart has ever lasted is 7 months. The printer cost me about 1,200
> dollars. Ink over the years has probably added about another 1,100-1500.
> The
> largest prints I make are on 16.5x24 inch paper, although the machine can
> do
> longer (I think).
> I know people who have bought 200 dollar Epson printers and spent that
> much again in inks every couple months. And they can't print larger than
> 8x10.
> I will be replacing the 3000 soon with a 4000. More ink carts but
> still
> with only one colour per cart, and still capable of 17 inch wide prints.

Hi Tony,

I love my 4000 and recommend it highly...but...
-The one area that has been tricky with the 4000 is getting truly neutral
black&white prints.
I believe you do a lot of B&W, so thought I'd mention it.
I'm still improving, but it's tricky with the UltraChrome inks.

-Mark

PS--Perhaps you've got this mastered already...If so...I'm all ears.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:58:13 AM

>Mark M writes
>
>I love my 4000 and recommend it highly...but...
>-The one area that has been tricky with the 4000 is getting
>truly neutral black&white prints.

Is this with the RIP you bought, or with the Epson profiles?

Just curious ...
April 15, 2005 1:05:15 AM

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epso...

> Each ink cartridge holds more ink all colors combined in a normal color
> cartridge (with multiple colors) for the 2200, etc.
> The 4000 printer ships with about $600 worth of ink, and the printer itself
> is selling for $1500 right now (after $300 rebate). This is a wide format
> (17") UltraChrome pigment ink printer that is in a different league from any
> of the printers discussed here with regularity (Canon, Epson 2200, HP,
> etc.).
>
> If you use the even BIGGER cartridges that were designed for the massive
> Epson 7600, 9600 and 10600 printers (which work perfectly in the 4000), the
> cost of ink is less than one SEVENTH of what it costs 2200 owners for the
> same amount of printing.
>
> I made literally hundreds of prints with just the ink that shipped with the
> printer. While most of these prints were smallish...a number of them were
> 17"x41" panoramas (using the roll feeder that comes with the printer).
> The printer is extremely smart...with an automatic (or manual) paper cutter,
> automatic head alignment and nozzle checks, and is built like a piece of
> industrial machinery.
>
> -Mark

April 15, 2005 1:18:57 AM

Wow, a full set of 8 of the extra-large cartridges costs $900. The
luminous-landscape review update says the price is not that much less
per liter of ink, not even half cost though it may waste less with
cleaning cycles they aren't clear.

Mark² wrote:

> Get an Epson 4000.
>
> Each ink cartridge holds more ink all colors combined in a normal color
> cartridge (with multiple colors) for the 2200, etc.
> The 4000 printer ships with about $600 worth of ink, and the printer itself
> is selling for $1500 right now (after $300 rebate). This is a wide format
> (17") UltraChrome pigment ink printer that is in a different league from any
> of the printers discussed here with regularity (Canon, Epson 2200, HP,
> etc.).
>
> If you use the even BIGGER cartridges that were designed for the massive
> Epson 7600, 9600 and 10600 printers (which work perfectly in the 4000), the
> cost of ink is less than one SEVENTH of what it costs 2200 owners for the
> same amount of printing.
>
> I made literally hundreds of prints with just the ink that shipped with the
> printer. While most of these prints were smallish...a number of them were
> 17"x41" panoramas (using the roll feeder that comes with the printer).
> The printer is extremely smart...with an automatic (or manual) paper cutter,
> automatic head alignment and nozzle checks, and is built like a piece of
> industrial machinery.
>
> -Mark

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:10:20 AM

"paul" <paul@not.net> wrote in message
news:o e2dnWWulsos3cLfRVn-jA@speakeasy.net...
> Wow, a full set of 8 of the extra-large cartridges costs $900. The
> luminous-landscape review update says the price is not that much less per
> liter of ink, not even half cost though it may waste less with cleaning
> cycles they aren't clear.

Shop elsewhere. From my source it's $668.96. Go to
www.digitalartsupply.com -a great local business (for me) run by helpful,
honest people who pick up the phone (no menus!). While this $$number sounds
high, remember that this sounds high only because you're buying the
quivalent of about 146 individual ink color ml quantities when buying for
lesser printers like a 2200. If you have to buy 146 carts for the 2200 (and
you eventually will), you will have spent around $1750(!!!). A full set of
the large 220ml carts makes for a total of a whopping 1760 ml of ink. That
is a tremendous amount--really more akin to many continuous ink systems
marketed these days.

When you buy 2200 color cartridge, it is estimated that each color contains
approx 12 ml of usable ink. A full set of these costs about $80 from my
source, and for this you get about 80ml of usable ink. Do the math, and
you'll discover that the ink is significantly cheaper with the 4000 even if
you just buy the standard 110ml carts (880ml per set), AND...you don't have
to purge matte black when switching to photo black (both carts are always
available, and switch automatically).

A full standard set runs about $389, and will last most people through a TON
of prints.

-Mark

> Mark² wrote:
>>
>> Get an Epson 4000.
>>
>> Each ink cartridge holds more ink all colors combined in a normal color
>> cartridge (with multiple colors) for the 2200, etc.
>> The 4000 printer ships with about $600 worth of ink, and the printer
>> itself is selling for $1500 right now (after $300 rebate). This is a
>> wide format (17") UltraChrome pigment ink printer that is in a different
>> league from any of the printers discussed here with regularity (Canon,
>> Epson 2200, HP, etc.).
>>
>> If you use the even BIGGER cartridges that were designed for the massive
>> Epson 7600, 9600 and 10600 printers (which work perfectly in the 4000),
>> the cost of ink is less than one SEVENTH of what it costs 2200 owners for
>> the same amount of printing.
>>
>> I made literally hundreds of prints with just the ink that shipped with
>> the printer. While most of these prints were smallish...a number of them
>> were 17"x41" panoramas (using the roll feeder that comes with the
>> printer).
>> The printer is extremely smart...with an automatic (or manual) paper
>> cutter, automatic head alignment and nozzle checks, and is built like a
>> piece of industrial machinery.
>>
>> -Mark
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:29:23 AM

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Mark M writes
>>
>>I love my 4000 and recommend it highly...but...
>>-The one area that has been tricky with the 4000 is getting
>>truly neutral black&white prints.
>
> Is this with the RIP you bought, or with the Epson profiles?
>
> Just curious ...

I have to say that I have found the included RIP quite confusing, and have
felt quite shaky with it in terms of my own understanding. Documentation is
basically non-existent...perhaps because it is assumed that this is old hat
to those who buy it. It wasn't for me. If you've got a tip on where to
look for help, I'm all ears.
Most of what I've done has been via various profiles for both Epson and
non-Epson media.
Any non-Epson media I used had it's own appropriate profile, was was used
according to specifications indicated from manufacturers. My system is
accurately calibrated, through perhaps not perfect on a couple of minor
quibbles.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:45:07 AM

In article <X9v6e.636$Lk1.327@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote:

> B&B Musmon wrote:
> > I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
> > greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
> > and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
> > unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
> > dislike this company.
> >
> > Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
> > have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
> > picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
> > good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
> > of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
> > party cart that works well?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Barry
>
> I tend to agree, but there is a solution, sort of
>
> The professional level machines do have much cheaper and more flexible
> ink systems. However the price of the machines are much higher,
> representing a fair to high price for the machine. The price of the
> consumer grade printers is artificially low, based on the anticipated profit
> from the future sales of ink.
>
> I am a low volume printer so I bought a consumer grade printer. It does
> a good job. When I bought it, after all the sales promotions, I paid less
> for the printer with ink than I could be replacement ink for the same day.

Epson seems to practice the idea of pricing ink for what the market will
stand. They sell printers cheaply in the expectation of making profit
forever more on ink carts. In the UK a standard Epson cart for their 7
colour printer costs around £10, perhaps as cheap as £8. Here in Japan,
carts are rarely more than 1000 yen - £5 and generic inks for Epson are
cheaper than this - £4 or less. However while the carts are identical in
size and shape, Japanese Epson carts cannot be used in UK Epson printers
as the small control chip firmware is different (the chips themselves
look the same). The Epson software driver will not allow the printer to
operate if a cart is either refilled of replaced with a non-UK cart. the
only way to use Japanese carts is to buy the printer in Japan and use
the Japanese driver.

Because of these *dirty tricks* I'd recommend avoiding Epson in future
and concentrate on the only other mass manufacturer - Canon. Canon and
Epson control 85% of the printer and scanner market in Japan.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:45:08 AM

[Commentary] Don't you just love a global free-market economy that
allows economic discrimination against developed countries? However,
if the US or UK makes any restriction, that is very, very baaaaad!

Mike

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:45:07 +0900, Stewy <anyone4tennis@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <X9v6e.636$Lk1.327@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
> "Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> B&B Musmon wrote:
>> > I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
>> > greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
>> > and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
>> > unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
>> > dislike this company.
>> >
>> > Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
>> > have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
>> > picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
>> > good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
>> > of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
>> > party cart that works well?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Barry
>>
>> I tend to agree, but there is a solution, sort of
>>
>> The professional level machines do have much cheaper and more flexible
>> ink systems. However the price of the machines are much higher,
>> representing a fair to high price for the machine. The price of the
>> consumer grade printers is artificially low, based on the anticipated profit
>> from the future sales of ink.
>>
>> I am a low volume printer so I bought a consumer grade printer. It does
>> a good job. When I bought it, after all the sales promotions, I paid less
>> for the printer with ink than I could be replacement ink for the same day.
>
>Epson seems to practice the idea of pricing ink for what the market will
>stand. They sell printers cheaply in the expectation of making profit
>forever more on ink carts. In the UK a standard Epson cart for their 7
>colour printer costs around £10, perhaps as cheap as £8. Here in Japan,
>carts are rarely more than 1000 yen - £5 and generic inks for Epson are
>cheaper than this - £4 or less. However while the carts are identical in
>size and shape, Japanese Epson carts cannot be used in UK Epson printers
>as the small control chip firmware is different (the chips themselves
>look the same). The Epson software driver will not allow the printer to
>operate if a cart is either refilled of replaced with a non-UK cart. the
>only way to use Japanese carts is to buy the printer in Japan and use
>the Japanese driver.
>
>Because of these *dirty tricks* I'd recommend avoiding Epson in future
>and concentrate on the only other mass manufacturer - Canon. Canon and
>Epson control 85% of the printer and scanner market in Japan.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:10:59 AM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:22:43 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"B&B Musmon" <barrym@tdstelme.net> wrote in message

>> I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
>> greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
>> and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
>> unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
>> dislike this company.
>>
>> Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
>> have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
>> picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
>> good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
>> of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
>> party cart that works well?

>Get an Epson 4000.

Or get one of the HP DesignJets -- 30, 90, 130.
Or any Pro Epson, like Barry says.
If you need to buy ink for either, you can
do worse than Atlex and Lexjet.

There are lots of reputable 3rd party inks
for Epsons, not so (or less so) for the
HP DesignJets.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
April 15, 2005 4:56:03 AM

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> B&B Musmon <barrym@tdstelme.net> writes:

> On a 2200, at least, there's something like another 30% usable ink in
> the cartridge after it reads "empty"; a chip-resetter lets you get at
> that ink. Of course, if you get sloppy, it also lets you run the
> nozzles dry and potentially damage them.

Yep I use a "zapper" on my C84 I use for general printing and get 2X+ the
life from them, especially the color ones. I print mostly in "draft" mode,
mostly text and it wants to replace the color inks when they are still
almost full!

I know I'll never buy another epson that has this "feature" again.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

>>>Mark M writes ...
>
>>>The one area that has been tricky with the 4000 is getting
>>>truly neutral black&white prints.

>> Bill H wrote...
>> Is this with the RIP you bought, or with the Epson profiles?

>Mark wrote
>
>I have to say that I have found the included RIP quite confusing ...If
you've
>got a tip on where to look for help, I'm all ears.

Luminous Landscape had a good article on using the 4000 with the
ColorBrite RIP but I think you have a different brand ... maybe worth a
read ... I'd think the guys at DAS, where you got the printer, would
help you with this?

>Most of what I've done has been via various profiles for both Epson
>and non-Epson media. Any non-Epson media I used had it's own
>appropriate profile

I tested 14 papers with my 4000 and the Epson papers with Epson
profiles seemed pretty neutral to me, using the Atkinson pattern with
various gradients. However none of the 3rd party papers I used (Moab,
Arches, Hahnemeuhle) had accurate profiles, I felt. I think they used
the Photo black instead of the Matte black since even graphing the ICC
profiles showed a lack of good blacks and you could see various
problems when printing the gradients ... the test pattern I'm using is
this one ... http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/atkinson_test_file.jp...
.... you can download the actual one (24 MB) if you have a fast link,
it's on Bill's Apple share site ... printing this pattern quickly shows
where the problems are, I've found. Lemme know if you want the link.

Bill
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:36:18 AM

>>> Bill H wrote...
>>> Is this with the RIP you bought, or with the Epson profiles?
>
>>Mark wrote
>>
>>I have to say that I have found the included RIP quite confusing ...If
> you've
>>got a tip on where to look for help, I'm all ears.
>
> Luminous Landscape had a good article on using the 4000 with the
> ColorBrite RIP but I think you have a different brand ... maybe worth a
> read ... I'd think the guys at DAS, where you got the printer, would
> help you with this?
>
>>Most of what I've done has been via various profiles for both Epson
>>and non-Epson media. Any non-Epson media I used had it's own
>>appropriate profile
>
> I tested 14 papers with my 4000 and the Epson papers with Epson
> profiles seemed pretty neutral to me, using the Atkinson pattern with
> various gradients. However none of the 3rd party papers I used (Moab,
> Arches, Hahnemeuhle) had accurate profiles, I felt. I think they used
> the Photo black instead of the Matte black since even graphing the ICC
> profiles showed a lack of good blacks and you could see various
> problems when printing the gradients ... the test pattern I'm using is
> this one ... http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/atkinson_test_file.jp...
> ... you can download the actual one (24 MB) if you have a fast link,
> it's on Bill's Apple share site ... printing this pattern quickly shows
> where the problems are, I've found. Lemme know if you want the link.
>
> Bill

Is that link handy?
Again...Thanks for the info.
-Mark

PS--You're right about DAS. They've ofered to spend an hour or more with me
in their store to go over over things.
Looks like I'll be taking them up on this re: RIP.
April 15, 2005 12:18:12 PM

Mark² wrote:

> "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>Luminous Landscape had a good article on using the 4000 with the
>>ColorBrite RIP but I think you have a different brand ... maybe worth a
>>read ... I'd think the guys at DAS, where you got the printer, would
>>help you with this?
>>

> Is that link handy?
> Again...Thanks for the info.

<http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&co...;
For those who are wondering what a rip is:
<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/imag...;
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:46:33 PM

> Mark M writes ...
>
>Is that link handy?

It's not handy since it's too long but here you go ...

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/d...

If that won't wrap right go to Google and search on "bill atkinson test
image" ... the file you want is LAB test page.sit, 24.7 MB from the
Apple public folders.

You should be able to check for greyscale problems with the gradient at
the bottom of the image. Some of the non-Epson profiles also would go
solid black too early (Moab) or not go to the deepest blacks (Arches,
Hahnemuehle) ... the Epson papers with Epson profiles seemed
well-balanced to me.
!