Sign in with
Your question

Why are my games frame skipping?

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2012 6:53:09 PM

I posted a topic a while ago like this and I thought I had to change my graphics card so I did and the problem STILL persists and its really annoying me. Occasionally games will drop frames to about 30 sometimes even less and then go back to 60 or above. I don't know what the problem could be in honestly going to try anything at this point

My old set up worked fine now it does not. Any Advice is appreciated Thank you

Note: That it does not do it some games but does on most

"Alot of my games are frame skipping. I have put in a new processor (About 4 months ago) and thats when this started happening its and AMD Phenom II6 1100T processor from my old one which was an AMD Phenom II X2. It was only after this change it seemed to happen"

"I tested out some things and the CPU doesn't use up 100% CPU and there are no background processes that would effect the game"

"I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer parts since the last processor I got didn't even fit. But any way if you need them here are my specs"

CPU: "AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition" (Used to be) AMD Phenom II6 1100T processor (New one/current)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard: Asus M4N68T
Memory: 8.0GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz DHX CL9 (4x2GB)

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (new one/current) GTX 460 SE (Used to be)
Sound card: Asus Xonar DS 7.1
Monitor:LG 22' E2240S-PN LED
Case: Xigmatek Asgard
PSU: 700W OCZ

I do not know honestly what section to put this in im putting it here since it happened when the CPU change happened

More about : games frame skipping

a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 12:40:15 AM

Do you notice your hard drive is churning during these slow downs? You did not mention which one you have, but if it is still the old mechanical type, that could be part of the problem. The other hardware is so fast these days, that old mechanical hard drives cannot keep up. An SSD might help. Even a smaller 60gb one. If you decide on that route, here is a decent article on how to set it up. http://www.pcworld.com/article/237496/the_best_of_both_...

Having said that, you do know that most modern games will have high and low frame rates depending on the scene being shown. High action or large vistas will be much slower than ones where you are just sort of strolling along. Here is another site I found that may be of more assistance. http://www.geforce.com/Optimize

And lastly, there are buggy games out there. Just because a game has ultra high settings available does not mean they necessarily work properly, even with the supposedly correct hardware. It is just the nature of the beast. Usually these things are smoothed out over time by game patches or video driver updates.

The good news is that you seem to have an awesome system.
a c 90 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 12:47:43 AM

chances are your single threaded performance is the issue and will only cause problems on games that dont use more than 2 cores. basically your gfx is overpowering the cpu on some games. the frame drops are cause when your gfx throws to much at the cpu. the best way to limit this is the opposite of what you may think. turn up your gfx settings. this will offload the work onto the gpu and de-stress the cpu... this will hopefully lif your minimum frame rate above 30 and make your games playable.
Related resources
January 16, 2012 9:03:24 PM

tlmck said:
Do you notice your hard drive is churning during these slow downs? You did not mention which one you have, but if it is still the old mechanical type, that could be part of the problem. The other hardware is so fast these days, that old mechanical hard drives cannot keep up. An SSD might help. Even a smaller 60gb one. If you decide on that route, here is a decent article on how to set it up. http://www.pcworld.com/article/237496/the_best_of_both_...

Having said that, you do know that most modern games will have high and low frame rates depending on the scene being shown. High action or large vistas will be much slower than ones where you are just sort of strolling along. Here is another site I found that may be of more assistance. http://www.geforce.com/Optimize

And lastly, there are buggy games out there. Just because a game has ultra high settings available does not mean they necessarily work properly, even with the supposedly correct hardware. It is just the nature of the beast. Usually these things are smoothed out over time by game patches or video driver updates.

The good news is that you seem to have an awesome system.

I have a 1.5TB S-ATAII hard drive (Is that the problem?) as for the optimizing settings for a game I did that and the result it still the same and there is no real improvement there and is far below the average fps usually sticking to around 30 fps and as for the games being buggy I don't think thats it since the games im on about are fairly old games such as borderlands and crysis where one would assume all the major fps and bugs have been patched up at that point in time

Something interesting to note is on a game called "Minecraft" the fps go's crazy from like the 200's to drop down to the 60's and then to the 30's and basically everywhere randomly regardless of where I am in the game

This is a graph of said craziness
January 16, 2012 9:07:58 PM

HEXiT said:
chances are your single threaded performance is the issue and will only cause problems on games that dont use more than 2 cores. basically your gfx is overpowering the cpu on some games. the frame drops are cause when your gfx throws to much at the cpu. the best way to limit this is the opposite of what you may think. turn up your gfx settings. this will offload the work onto the gpu and de-stress the cpu... this will hopefully lif your minimum frame rate above 30 and make your games playable.

When you say turn up my gfx settings do you mean my graphic settings? Cause if so there already at max always useally. Or do you mean like overclocking?

And just for reference what is single threaded performance is it like where you only have one graphics card outputting to game or something along those lines
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 3:02:24 AM

If you still have the 460 I'd try that with your new cpu and see if the problem persists. If not then I'd take a long look at the 580 as it does have a throttling mechanism in place. Another issue could be your psu. OCZ isn't exactly a top-tier manufacturer and if they're using multiple 12v rails it's quite possible that the 580 is trying to draw more than the rail was designed for.
January 17, 2012 7:21:26 PM

a4mula said:
If you still have the 460 I'd try that with your new cpu and see if the problem persists. If not then I'd take a long look at the 580 as it does have a throttling mechanism in place. Another issue could be your psu. OCZ isn't exactly a top-tier manufacturer and if they're using multiple 12v rails it's quite possible that the 580 is trying to draw more than the rail was designed for.

Even with the 460 in it still happens. I might consider upgrading PSU could you recommend a good one that would work for my 580?
a b à CPUs
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 7:42:08 PM

what are your temperatures?? cpu and gpu.

also have you alt tabbed and checked if anything else is using a large amount of your cpu or ram durring the game?

I don't think its your psu. Might be your drivers as well.
January 17, 2012 11:26:17 PM

esrever said:
what are your temperatures?? cpu and gpu.

also have you alt tabbed and checked if anything else is using a large amount of your cpu or ram durring the game?

I don't think its your psu. Might be your drivers as well.

Drivers are fully updated and here is some stuff from when I was playing crysis for about a good half and hour or so

At a windowed resoultion of 1024x768

Anti aliasing 16xQ

and everything on very high tried it on high, normal and low it lagged the same amount as if it did on all modes

a c 90 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 1:27:36 AM

dominicwild said:
When you say turn up my gfx settings do you mean my graphic settings? Cause if so there already at max always useally. Or do you mean like overclocking?

And just for reference what is single threaded performance is it like where you only have one graphics card outputting to game or something along those lines

i mean go out of the game into your gfx panel and turn up to max things like fsaa and try adding super sample aa instead of multisample aa. if your fps doesnt drop dramaticaly its likley your cpu is an issue for that particular game... if you do got a drop say more than 10 fps. then reset back to defults and go back to the games own settings and turn them down to minimum... you fps should in theory shoot up again if they just get a marginal increase and bigger fps drops then your cpu is the issue.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 10:48:14 AM

HEXiT said:

That is the most idiotic suggestion I have ever heard. Turning up settigns does NOT result in the CPU doing less work; both the GPU and CPU do more work total, while the GPU gets a larger percentage of new work.

Also, theres no reason for a FPS decrease when going from an X2/460 to a X6/580, so my first question is to ask if your mobo supports X6 processors. You might need a BIOS update. Other potential factors could include a PSU thats not able to properly power the 580 you have. [The easiest way to test that is to re-insert the 460 and see if performance improves]
a c 90 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:32:36 PM

actually it does... it will reduce your maximum fps and increase your minimum as the load is picked up by the gpu, thus offloading from the cpu...
its the reduction in overall frames that makes this test work... what you think i dont know what im talking about... i have been here less than a year and im already way past most of you...
that didnt happen by chance... it comes from giving solid advice.

we found this out when bfbc2 came out when some of our boys had a gtx 275 paired with a 6000x2 and another that had an e6600 paired with a hd 4870 both found if they crank up the settings on the gfx the game would offload from the cpu reducing there max fps but raising there minimum... this is called experience and you cant beat that. the advice given above is to see if he gets an fps boost or whether his minimum fps stays the same nothing more. im not asking him to play the game like this for ever, its just a test that i know works...
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 4:28:15 PM

Quote:
actually it does... it will reduce your maximum fps and increase your minimum as the load is picked up by the gpu, thus offloading from the cpu...
its the reduction in overall frames that makes this test work... what you think i dont know what im talking about... i have been here less than a year and im already way past most of you...

Question: Have you designed your own OGL game engine? Actually worked on developing a game? Didn't think so...

When you increase the settings, you do NOT offload more work to the GPU. You instead have both the CPU and GPU do more work each, and depending on the particular setting, one may end up doing more work then the other. What you saw could be the result of MANY factors related to resolution [in particular, image scaling], API changes [DX11 should be faster then DX10, and so on], or dozens of other factors. [Vsync, for example...]

Anyone who says that increasing graphical settings results in the CPU doing less work has no clue whatsoever on how games are actually coded. While, in theory, setting a particular setting to a higher value could lead to a higher minimum FPS, it would not be for the reasons you claim.

Fact is, going from an X2 to a X6 will NOT reduce performance. Same with going from a 460 to 580. Hence why I suspect either motherboard compatability or the PSU.
January 18, 2012 5:05:07 PM

HEXiT said:
i mean go out of the game into your gfx panel and turn up to max things like fsaa and try adding super sample aa instead of multisample aa. if your fps doesnt drop dramaticaly its likley your cpu is an issue for that particular game... if you do got a drop say more than 10 fps. then reset back to defults and go back to the games own settings and turn them down to minimum... you fps should in theory shoot up again if they just get a marginal increase and bigger fps drops then your cpu is the issue.

The fps stays pretty much the same with all settings on high
January 18, 2012 5:09:07 PM

gamerk316 said:
Quote:

Fact is, going from an X2 to a X6 will NOT reduce performance. Same with going from a 460 to 580. Hence why I suspect either motherboard compatability or the PSU.
Quote:

Well this here:http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M4N68T-M_V2.html

Seems to say my cpu is compatible so if what your saying its true its the PSU
a c 90 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 6:17:03 PM

dominicwild said:
The fps stays pretty much the same with all settings on high

thanx thats all i wanted to know. if you did get a drastic change it would mean its a bottleneck...

for the guy whos trying to start something... the reason i say crank up the settings. if you use x16 fsaa (by overriding the games settings via your gfx panel) you will have a dramatic effect on the gpu's performance and will over half the framerate... now if the cpu cant cope with 100 fps off the gfx it may be able to cope with less than 50 you are offloading the cpu onto the gpu... your cpu may still well max out at 100% but it will do it less often as its now only having to deal with half the max fps or less
b4 you claim that doesnt work TRY it... i know it works because this is how we found that bfbc2 was a true bottleneck on a core 2 and dual core cpu...
all your book learning may say different (i guess thats where your getting your info) but my experience comes from years of playing games, writing software (yes i program, 3 languages) and generally faffing with pc's

so please b4 you turn blue and your head explodes. take into account that others have different experience to you, and just because its different doesn't mean it invalid...

!