DSL Modem losing connection randomly.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Hello all,

I have posted about some networking issues here several times before, and most of them all seem to be linked somehow.

Anyways, I am having some issues with my modem provided by my ISP (Hickorytech). The story before this was that for some reason, when I (or anything else) would download a large file, our cable box would shut down randomly. After talking with Hickorytech and having them come out to my house and provide me with a regular modem instead of having it go into our Motorola box, it now seems that the modem is having an issue. Like what happened with the Cable box, the Modem will lose connection whenever I try to download something (like a game). I then have to reset it, and then sometimes its fine, sometimes it will keep losing connection. So does anybody have any idea as to what could be causing this problem? I'm just about at my wits end here since this problem has been going on for some time.

The Modem I am using now (some POS Hickorytech gave me, which it was obviously used) is a Next Level Communications VDSL E2010. My Router is a Linksys E3000. I was wondering if a new modem would help but judging from the history, I doubt it.

I think it's your router. when you have download problems again try just resetting the router. If that worked try updating the firmware or get a better router. Linksys is not known for quality products unfortunatly.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Sorry, but it isn't the router. This problem was happening before I ever even got the E3000 (Which is a great router, where you got the idea that Linksys (Cisco) doesn't make good products from I have no idea).

The problem has to be somewhere between the ISP and the Modem, but what else could it be?

phyxxxer

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Pigbearman,

My brother and I (same city, two different lines/houses) have the same issues with HickoryTech and the modem losing connectivity. It happens about 5-10 minutes after I would start downloading any large files, or streaming anything from Netflix or Hulu. A modem power-cycle sometimes fixes the issue, but sometimes it'll happen again after another 5-10 minutes. My brother has had some success lately by enabling the QoS on his router and set it to max 300kb/s download speed. I'm convinced it's HickoryTech automatically shutting off any connection that looks like it could start using too much bandwith, but I get a little paranoid when I get frustrated :)

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Thanks for the reply phyxxxer, that's what I assumed was happening. It's odd though, I could be playing an online game while watching an HD Netflix movie and it would stay on all day. But other days I could be doing something as simple as watching a youtube video and it would crash every 3 damn minutes. I'm going to call hickorytech soon to see if they have any reasoning for the constant/random crashes.