Sign in with
Your question

My newly built computer wont start up! please help!

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2011 2:25:16 AM

Hey everyone,

Just bought a bunch of components to build a computer and the computer is not powering up at all! kinda stressing out here.

here are my parts:
1. AMD A8-3850 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2. Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H FM1 AMD A75 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
3. OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
4. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
5. Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
6. Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So i have all the tiny cords in like power button and reset button. I'm basically 100% sure they're in the right way. I've reseated the ram and the processor and the connections from the psu to the mobo.

Every time i try to turn the computer on, the computer wont start up; however, a very faint beep come from the mobo/cpu area.

What can possibly be wrong and what are my options from here?

Thanks in advance.

More about : newly built computer wont start

October 15, 2011 2:56:28 AM

Are you sure that all the power cables are connected to the motherboard. The cpu power connection especially , it's the 8 pin connector near the top on the left side of the cpu socket. Do the fans come on , can you hear the hdd spin up , any led's light up. Can you test the power supply.
m
l
October 15, 2011 3:17:32 AM

both the 8 pin and the 24 pin cables were plugged in and i reseated both of them again. no fans, no hdd spin, no lights. just a faint beep. i realized that there was a standoff that was kind of unseated on the bottomn of the board,; i've read that can cause the board to short and not start up. i rectified the problem and i'm currently putting everything back together again. any other suggestions?
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2011 3:33:06 AM

So i reseated absolutely everything and all i get is a faint beep when i try to turn the computer on. No fans spin, the hdd doesn't move either, no lights. Just a faint beep. Is my PSU faulty/doa? i'm taking the psu out of another computer to test now.
m
l
October 15, 2011 3:50:26 AM

the other power supply wasn't compatible. So i couldn't test to see whether thenew power supply is working or not. Are there any more suggestions? does anyone know what the faint beep indicates?
m
l
October 15, 2011 4:03:04 AM

make sure you're not overloading a rail in your modular PSU. Drawing too any amps on a single rail will trip the safety feature and shut off the system. Try balancing/spreading out the cables among the rails.
m
l
October 15, 2011 4:04:51 AM

can you elaborate on that please? i don't quite understand
m
l
October 15, 2011 4:14:40 AM

since there was a standoff under the motherboard, is it possible that the motherboard is fried?
m
l
October 15, 2011 4:17:09 AM

modular psu's have a number of rails that provide 12v of power. Looks like yours has two. Don't put all your power cables on the same row. Particularly if you have power hungry components, such as your gpu. Keep that separate from your mb/CPU cable.

also check that the PSU is set to 110v, not 220.
m
l
October 15, 2011 4:20:06 AM

jpsenior said:
since there was a standoff under the motherboard, is it possible that the motherboard is fried?

oh, it can be any one of your components, but starting at the PSU is first. Then its an iterative process to narrow it down. It helps to have a second pc to test parts jn.
m
l
October 15, 2011 4:30:52 AM

jpsenior said:

was this standoff not at a screw hole? Lets hope for the best and keep working on diagnosing the problem.
m
l
October 15, 2011 4:36:40 AM

the only thing i really have plugged into the psu is the gpu. the 24 bit and 8 bit chord to the motherboard both come connected to the psu already, they're not on any side. Am i forgetting something? (it's been 3 years since i've done this). How can i test to see if it's the psu; furthermore, if it isn't the psu, where do i go from there?

the standoff was not at a screw hole :( 

Thanks alot for the responses guys i really appreciate this!
m
l
October 15, 2011 5:13:36 AM

try moving the gpu power cable to another modular port.

the steps to diagnose is to strip the mb bare. Remove gpu, HDD, ram. Just PSU, cpu and mb. Power up and you should get some post beep errors. If you still get nothing, then its a bad PSU or mb. If you do get beeps, then install each component at a time until failure to post. That's the bad component.

just found this nugget,
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
m
l
October 15, 2011 8:15:19 PM

thanks alot, i'll try that now!
m
l
October 15, 2011 10:16:22 PM

so i plugged the gpu into a differnt port; the computer didnt come on, but the power button actually lit up. I then removed the gpu completely. The computer started up, heatsink/fan spun fast but there was a little smell of smoke or something for about 30 seconds. but the computer was on. it also made one clear, audible beep! So did i discover that the gpu is bad. what else could it be/what could have happened?
m
l
October 15, 2011 10:39:59 PM

So we took an old gpu, a nvidia 9500 and it started but we didnt get video. I then just plugged the vga into the default mobo vga and it booted up and we got the error message: disk boot failure: insert system disk and press enter.

what now?
m
l
October 15, 2011 11:25:27 PM

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who's helped me so far. i really do appreciate this.

Here's where i'm at now:

The gpu prevents the computer from turning on at all.
When i take the GPU out, the comp posts. I couldn't even get video when i tried the Nvidia 9500. is that a mobo issue? or is the card not compatible? Is my new gpu fried? the computer doesnt do anything if its in, but when i take it out it posts.

BIOS starts and tells me the following:
"SATA is found running at IDE mode!
Setup option is available to set SATA to AHCI mode
Now is IDE mode, the system cannot support Hot Plug
Would you change the mode Y/N ?
Do you want the BIOS to enable this option for you ?
Y:Yes, set SATA to AHCI mode
N: NO, do not show this message again.

this screen shows for 6 seconds; then it jumps to this:
Load Operating System...
Boot from cd/dvd drive
Disk Boot Failure: insert disk and press enter.

how do i respond to the questions and Where do i go from here?
m
l
October 17, 2011 12:23:21 AM

Any thoughts or suggestions?
m
l
October 18, 2011 3:26:49 AM

Sent the GPU back to newegg, waiting on a new one for now. I'm hoping that was the problem. Can anyone confirm/answer some previous unanswered questions
m
l
October 26, 2011 10:52:55 AM

sorry i haven't posted in a while. have you received the replacement GPU? it seems the likely suspect; gpu's fail more often than they should out of the box. the stuff about your hdd is expected with a non-partitioned/unformatted drive. i feel more confident about your mb since it did post, but i am worried that it didn't work with your old nvidia card. i'd like to know what happens with the replacement gpu and go from there.
m
l
August 13, 2013 3:52:33 AM

inzone said:
Are you sure that all the power cables are connected to the motherboard. The cpu power connection especially , it's the 8 pin connector near the top on the left side of the cpu socket. Do the fans come on , can you hear the hdd spin up , any led's light up. Can you test the power supply.

everything looked ok besides one fan in my case, im scared of turning it back on because if its something to do with the PSU i dont want my 300$ cpu and my 500$ Gpu getting recked
m
l
!