Need help hooking up SATA cables

wp442

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Newbie here with a couple dumb questions...

I'm building a new rig from scratch to replace my 5-year-old AMD setup. I'm jumping ship and going with an Intel I5 2500K. I haven't been keeping up on the newest technologies over the past few years, and things appear to have gotten a bit more complicated, and I could really use some advice on how to hook up the drive cables.

I've got a Asus Sabertooth P67 mobo. It's equipped with:

- 2 internal xSATA 6Gb/s ports (brown connector)
- 4 internal xSATA 3Gb/s ports (black connector)
- 2 internal xSATA 6Gb/s ports (gray connector) by Marvell PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller

What I need to hook up:

- 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA 6.0Gb/s hard drives
- 1 Crucial M4 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD (SATA 6Gb/s, backward compatible to SATA 3Gb/s)
- 1 Asus 24X Sata DVD Burner

I'm thinking the two Seagate drives will get connected to the 6Gb/s ports (brown connector), and the DVD burner to one of the four 3Gb/s ports (black connector). But what about the SSD? Considering it's going to be the boot drive, hosting the OS and programs, shouldn't it also be attached to a 6Gb/s port? Yes, I do have the two 6Gb/s ports (gray connector) with the Marvell controller, but I've heard less-than-stellar reports on the Marvell, and was with the understanding they should be avoided if possible, especially for a boot drive...and to disable it completely. Will there be a bottleneck by hooking the SSD to a 3Gb/s port?

I appreciate any input on this. Can't get any more done until I know how to hook things up.