Using 2 video cards in windows 7

chapchap1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Using a Dell XPS desktop system (3Ghz Dual Core Intel, but w/ only 4 Megs of RAM) running Win7 Ultimate (32/64b), is it possible to get 2 nVida graphics cards (GeForce 9500GT and GeForce 68000) to work together?

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
In sli? No.

Singally for different applications, maybe, but why bother.
The 9500 if far better than the 6800.
If you need a graphics boost just buy a new card, although you may need a new PSU to power it, Dell are usually a bit skimpy on a good PSU setup in their systems, although xps is sometimes slightly better.

chapchap1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

Though this wasn't the answer for which I was hoping, I appreciate you sharing your wisdom, which, from the sound of it, was borne of disappointing experience. Through an odd confluence of circumstances, I find myself with 3 fairly powerful desktop systems (and 2 EXTRA laptops). which I've been cannibalizing, hoping to piece together a totally bitching, Frankenstein-esque system. So far . . . well, what's the point of bellyaching?

I have so much old (which is such a relative word in tech-time) equipment of every sort. I hate to throw it all out. Not because it might become useful again but because it just seems like I'm flushing thousands of dollars down the can. And, to make matter worse, there are so many new, bright and shiny gadgets-gizmos out there that I just don't think I can live without. Sheesh! What's a guy to do?

OK. Enough of this foolishness -- unless you are equally knowledgeable about audio cards . . . thanks again for your kind and helpful response.

chapchap1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

Well, my hope was to drive 4 monitors, though 3 would be fine, too.