Sign in with
Your question

PSU size for a dell studio xps 8100

Last response: in Components
January 14, 2012 10:55:58 PM

I want to upgrade my dell studio xps 8100 psu to a bigger one. I am looking at a 800+. I have been reading the forums and cant find anyone stating the size of the standard psu and what is the biggest you can add. Anyone have the info on which one fits?
January 15, 2012 11:33:56 AM

Your options are pretty unlimited. It is a mid-tower,m-ATX case size,go to Newegg.com and look at their Power Supply calculator they have on their site,put in your info and it will show you your requirements. If you go bigger than necessary (which I did) just make sure that when your system is running at full load your PSU will be sized at around 70 % utilization so your PSU is providing power at a optimum spec,i.e. if your system needs 500 watts, I wouldn't go much higher than 750 watt PSU because if the PSU is underworking your supplied power will not be the best it can be.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 15, 2012 11:56:07 AM

mastersource said:
I want to upgrade my dell studio xps 8100 psu to a bigger one. I am looking at a 800+. I have been reading the forums and cant find anyone stating the size of the standard psu and what is the biggest you can add. Anyone have the info on which one fits?

Why ?
You planning on building your own gaming monster and want to be able to re-use the power supply ?
There isn't a single card system out there that would require an 800 watt psu, especially in a Dell mATX case ;) 
Cable management is also something to think about, again, not much room in the Dell case, might want to think modular.
150mm (w) x 140mm (d) x 86mm (h) is standard, you can go up to around 165mm on the depth before things get kinda tight.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2012 2:20:48 PM

I am looking for size here. I want the higher psu to fool proof my machine. Gpu are becomming more and more power hungery and I dont want to worrie about my psu anymore.
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
January 15, 2012 6:55:47 PM

Don't get a PSU with a length/depth over 160mm (6.3") or you'll have problems with the DC Output cables getting pushed up against the back of your optical drive.

I've seen a Dell XPS Studio 8100 with a PSU that has a length/depth of 183mm (7.2") but the out put cables are right up against the back of the optical drive.
m
l
!