OC Fail? Random Auto-Restart...

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I OCed my PC and it was stable than I started getting this auto-restart... I restore the bios back to default setting with no changes and it doesn't restart... When I OCed it, it dies within 10 minutes or so and after that, I change it to a lower clock or my old OC(3.84GHz) that was stable too than same thing happen less than 20 second from boot... Im sure it's stable... Im currently on stock right now and no restart that I know off...

Spec:
i7-950
Asus Sabertooth X58
1800MHz 4GB RAM Kingston Hyper X Genesis
750w(Cheap PSU for $40, This is not the problem as it would be causing restart on stock BIOS settings)
1TB HDD
Evga GT 220
Haf 912

OC:
4GHz(4008MHz 24x167)
CPU Vcore 1.34v
HTT On
RAM @ 1667MHz
QPI 1.29v
RAM Vcore 1.64v

What's causing the restart?

Note: This is not a OverHeating problem!!!

BTW this been happening for a month now or close to a month...
What I think is the problem is the BIOS version, Should I update it for more stability?

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

How can It overload my PSU? It been running for pretty long on OC at least 3-4 months with 4GHz OC... Now it's restarting which is not a PSU problem... So what should I do? Update BIOS or get a better PSU for $100?

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

PSU's can degrade with usage, especially cheap ones, chances are that $40 750w power supply is actually rated at 550w. But also, the ability for the PSU to provide "clean" power is crucial.

By providing clean power, I mean a constant voltage that does not fluctuate, which over time (accelerated due to stress) your cheap PSU lost it's ability to do.

The one part you should never cheap out on for a build, is the PSU. If you're overclocking, a good PSU can allow higher, more stable overclocks. Not to mention if a cheap PSU blows, it might take out some other components.

Buy a new QUALITY PSU, make sure it's at least 550w, and meets the 80PLUS standard for efficiency.

I'd recommend two options.

The first I highly recommend, it's a great PSU overall.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

The second is a mid-range PSU by the same brand, still good but certainly not AS good, get this if you want to save $50, again I still recommend the first.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

Spoony

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
if i was you i would be checking the cpu cooler, i have that once before and it was the fan just stopping randomly and making the cpu get hot so pc rebooted to reset the fan, after that get a better PSU thats the 1st thing when building a psu that you need to have and make it good quality or its pointless

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
My CPU is around 170watts @ 4GHz and it's 40 watts higher, I dont see why it's not restarting at stock clock which is 130watts...

This is not a OverHeating problem as i checked, otherwise it would be OHing on stock clock...

My OC was good until few weeks ago when it started restarting, I think I'll try to update BIOS first when the new one comes out since my BIOS V. is 802... If it doesn't solve than I'll buy a new PSU...

EDIT: Just to make sure it's not a PSU problem or too much power used beside OC, I'll add a GTs 450 in the system with the GT 220 and see if it restart, the GTs 450 is 105Watts so it should take affect if it's PSU...

EDIT: I think it's PSU problem now, my system starting ot die on Stock Clock... What im seeing it that it's hardware failure which could be PSU...