Sign in with
Your question

Which RAM to buy

Last response: in Memory
November 12, 2012 10:23:15 AM

Hi, I would like your thoughts and opinions on some new ram that I want to buy.

Currently I have 2 x 2 GB Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 Mhz CL9, they are running great, show excellent performance, but yesterday for the first time ever, I got a "memory full" error from Windows, i was doing something stoopid, normally it should not have happened, but it did, so I guess it's time to up the ante from 4 to 8 GB (at least I got a legitimate reason for upgrading ).

Lots of browsing, searching, and googling and I came up with 2 options: Kingston HyperX Genesis (btw, anyone know what the difference is between Blu and Genesis?) 2 x 4 Gb 1866 Mhz CL9 or (i found this by chance) for the same price Kingston HyperX Blu 4 x 4 Gb 1600 Mhz CL9.

So, in short, 16 Gb 1600 Mhz or 8 Gb 1866 Mhz?

More about : ram buy

a c 128 } Memory
November 12, 2012 11:44:37 AM

I would go with 16 gb of 1600 if the ram is identical to your current sticks. You may also disable "system protection" in the security section of windows 7, and I disabled "hybernation" to get an extra 13 gb of space on my ssd. I use ie privacy keeper version 2.7 and windows disk cleanup program to keep my drive from getting cluttered. You might try them. The less cluttered your drive, the less likely you'll get error messages.
a b } Memory
November 12, 2012 12:11:23 PM

I would get the Genesis if the price is similar, it's their "higher-end" memory brand. Blu only goes up to 1600 MT/s. And, uh, the Genesis heatsink looks cooler I guess.
November 12, 2012 12:29:53 PM

o1die said:
I would go with 16 gb of 1600 if the ram is identical to your current sticks. You may also disable "system protection" in the security section of windows 7, and I disabled "hybernation" to get an extra 13 gb of space on my ssd. I use ie privacy keeper version 2.7 and windows disk cleanup program to keep my drive from getting cluttered. You might try them. The less cluttered your drive, the less likely you'll get error messages.

I was low on memory not disk space.
!